The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | v2.0 | Oct, 31st 2023

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: The City of the Damned : Apocalypse | Remaster | Dev

Post by Accensus »

I'll probably replay this the way it's meant to be played, but I'd still like to ask about the possibility of having a "vaccinated" edition that's compatible with gameplay mods, or at least with weapon mods. This is one of the few "horror-themed" maps that play great with Hideous Destructor and I'd love to see the two compatible. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to TCoTD2 Remastered.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Well it was a coincidence that last night I tried replacing every instance of "TCOTDPlayer" (usually related to casting or type checks) with "PlayerPawn", but I think that's as far as I'd go. I'm not going to make two versions of the mod. I expect HDest players are smart enough to do the work to make anything that isn't designed for gameplay mods somehow work with their favorite mod. :P
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Oh, most definitely. Was just curious. Not saying "WANT COMPAT PATCH NAO". I can make that myself if you guys aren't interested in making an "official" one (which is the case, so I won't inquire any further). :P There is no need to even outright remove custom content or make a separate version, given the fact that GZDoom provides plenty of compatibility mechanisms such as AddPlayerClasses in MAPINFO or the "replaces" keyword.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That's fine, I understand. :) Sorry if I came off as sassy, basically what I meant was I have done the bare minimum (to the best of my understanding) to ensure compatibility, but if still doesn't work, I shouldn't be expected to make a separate version of the mod.

It's pretty much a given that the community enjoys mixing together weapon mods and gameplay mods, but as far as I'm concerned right now, I'm firstly designing this to be played on its own. Maybe as a final pass I can see where I decouple stuff for compatibility, but it will stop at some point - I definitely won't go out of my way to make the mod 100% HD/Brutal/WhateverWeaponMod compatible. I feel like people who want to mix mods are smart enough to do the edits themselves. :)
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Accensus wrote:Oh, most definitely. Was just curious. Not saying "WANT COMPAT PATCH NAO". I can make that myself if you guys aren't interested in making an "official" one (which is the case, so I won't inquire any further). :P There is no need to even outright remove custom content or make a separate version, given the fact that GZDoom provides plenty of compatibility mechanisms such as AddPlayerClasses in MAPINFO or the "replaces" keyword.
Well, I know it's often a complicated gap for modders to consider using an original combat system or leaving it as is to open it for gameplay mods. In this specific case - as Nash has stated - the mod itself is the priority, making it feel seamless. Compatibility to gameplay mods is indeed secondary.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

So I see both remasters have the fullscreen status bar mod in them but no options for it. Is it possible to turn on the options for the HUD mod? I like to have the HUD split in the corners so it's out of the way.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Rex705 wrote:So I see both remasters have the fullscreen status bar mod in them but no options for it. Is it possible to turn on the options for the HUD mod? I like to have the HUD split in the corners so it's out of the way.
I will be redesigning the HUD, the current version you see now will most likely be the "big HUD" and the split-in-corners will be the "small HUD".
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

welp guess im out of a job then ; u ; if you guys want I can zip up my current progress if you wanna prefab my addon areas.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Feel free to share what you have done so far, maybe we can incorporate something in the planned canon :)
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

Ill prefab the city cistern and try to add some more details maybe even make a letter or two to put down there if i can find some good page templates would you like my enemy additions as well, the Gatherer and the Mouldy Corpse?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, I would like to check what you currently have and if it fits in what we have changed so far if that's okay for you.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I played through the City of the Damned remake, and I really don't like the static Blazkowitz head. It doesn't emote or change with pain... I just don't see the point in it. Leave the original Doomguy head... or use the Neural upscale and do color correction, but I'm not a fan of Blazkowitz head.
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Terminusest13 made a custom Corvus face that would probably fit the player skin you are using.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Clownman wrote:Terminusest13 made a custom Corvus face that would probably fit the player skin you are using.
Would you mind sharing this one?

I really liked the static Blazko but I am open for a better option even though it is not high priority to me to be honest.

*EDIT*
Wrong topic I guess, Scuba, for Apocalypse we will most propably have something original :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

I am making several original sprites for the remake version of this project. As Torm already knows.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”