TEMPLE OF THE LIZARD MEN 5 - RELEASED!!!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: TEMPLE OF THE LIZARD MEN 5 - COMING SOON!

Postby Deon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:41 pm

I've just watched the trailer, and the levels look impressive. I will be sure to play and enjoy it, thank you for your hard work.
Deon

Re: TEMPLE OF THE LIZARD MEN 5 - RELEASED!!!

Postby Alando1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:50 am

Hey guys! Temple of the Lizard Men 5 has been released! You can download it on the first page of this thread. Enjoy! :)

Alando1

Postby MFG38 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:14 am

Congrats on the release! Downloading this right now, will be playing it ASAP. c:
MFG38

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Captain J » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:17 pm

Congratulations on the release. Absolutely nice quality and some challenging events, extra detailed maps and such... This TC got a lot better than the last one. Super like it!

Hope you get awarded by Cacoward!
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby StroggVorbis » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 am

Reminds me that I still need to finish TotLM 4, became a long time fan of the series :D
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Toyoch » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:24 pm

I played through the TC on UV(It's My Temple Now), here are my thoughts.
Spoiler:

I've played all the Temple of The Lizard Men series and I can easily say it's the best one so far!
Toyoch

Postby Voltcom9 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:47 am

Awesome!
Voltcom9
the invisible member

Postby Alando1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:42 am

Hey guys, glad to hear all of you are enjoying it very much. Thank you all for the feedback :)

@Toyoch - I like your critique very much. I remember during TOTLM4 you had some helpful feedback. I took a lot from your constructive criticism for TOTLM4 and applied it to TOTLM5. One of those things being the sniper rifle having piercing rounds. I thought that was a really good idea. In addition, you made me think about the inventory system a little more. Thank you for your feedback as always and I'm glad you've enjoyed TOTLM5 :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Postby Mech » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:19 am

Finished walkthrough yesterday and here's my feedback.
1)There are some places where you can get in, but can't get out. Like these (sorry, I don't remember the map, I only remember it's in the first hub):
Spoiler:

2)Knife is one-time use. Is it intended? Why? I would understand if it would oneshot small fry, but the damage it deals is random, so using it is just too much risk (I played on Crocodile Hunter difficulty).
3)Why Alan and Beka have same stats, while Charlie and Diana don't?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mech

Discord: Mech#0603
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Mech » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 am

Since this forum doesn't allow more than 3 attachments per post, I'll continue here.
4)Secret levels. Did I get the first one right?
Spoiler:

The problem is that the path leading to the secret portal is hidden behind the texture, which I found out only by accident. And IDDT.
As for the second secret level... "Find 6! When you figure it out, shoot them." What hint is this? It doesn't help at all! There are 6 columns in the main hall, 6 skulls above the "Inferno" entrance, two VI symbols on the clockface painted on the floor. So?
"Consider tackling this puzzle first before you play any of the 4 main levels." Why? Would it change anything?
And honestly speaking, both secret levels are one hell of a switchhunt.
5)"Adventures of the PPA" WUT?
6)Weapons. Shotgun is good overall, but reduced firerate makes it, uh, less fun to use. Although drum mag given from the start is a good thing.
Is it just me or sniper rifle's scoped mode has slower reload than hip-fire? Also, I think changing color filter from green to red was bad idea - it doesn't help to aim in the darkness, it only obscures vision. And I don't uderstand why there is a two-level zoom: there is simply no situation where additonal zoom is needed and it makes player to waste time just to switch from scoped to normal mode.
7)Maps. They're great! Though you still took many parts from classic DOOM maps, this time you did way better: the way they connect to each other and original parts of the level makes resembles "Nowhere" from Silent Hill. And I certainly liked it! Also kudos for Unreal Tournament maps "cosplay". Ripped music fits well too! Or doesn't. I don't care. I loved it. Although I miss tracks from ToTLM4, especially Maulotaur's theme. And one more thing: why does zip include the safe version of Map18. Is the basic version somehow "unsafe"?
8)Bosses. Maulotaur (still OP) right after the first boss (whatever it's name is)? This bossrush was unnecessary. Battle with Spectra's portrait was confusing: after stepping on the golden platform one has to shoot her head, not those squares on the sides, which I didn't ged on the spot.
Great work overall! Too bad there won't be anything after that. But I wish you good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mech

Discord: Mech#0603
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Alando1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:45 pm

@Mech - Thank you for your critique. I will gladly answer some of your questions/concerns.

1. The areas you've specified can be exited. The water in the area may make it a bit difficult to jump, but once you give yourself some space between the higher surface, and then jump toward it, you'll be able to climb out of those areas.

2. The knife isn't a one-time use weapon. It does have a "wear & tear" type of ammo. The knife can be used again if you pick up a backpack or a new knife. I would advise players, if they really wanted to get great use out of the it, they can use the Berserker Rune in conjunction with the Scroll of Power to really get the most out of the knife. The Berserker Rune will give it more power and the Scroll will allow you to have unlimited slashes for 30 seconds.

3. In regards to the player classes, the purpose of both the Alan and Beka class are for those who want a general playthrough of the game. There are fans of TOTLM who are women and enjoy the idea of being able to play as a female character. So, Alan and Beka are really for casual players who just want to play either as a male or female. For Charlie and Diana, those were designed to change up the gameplay of the campaign. Inexperienced players might consider using Charlie due to the damage resistance he has. For those who are more hardcore and want a challenge, they can choose Diana who is fast, but more vulnerable to damage.

4. You got the first secret level right. :) For the second secret level: First, let me say that I'm very pleased you've read the manual/tips PDF. Second, you're on the right track, but there is another thing that there are 6 of. I'll give you another clue - look for the dead men...
Spoiler:

5. Adventures of the PPA refers to my book series. I felt I would share with everyone what other projects I've been up to. I published my first book back in 2017 and I made two sequels to it. I'm currently working on the 4th one. I, too, plan on making the Temple of the Lizard Men series into a book.

6. I didn't notice a firing rate difference between the sniper rifle's modes. In regards to the night vision scope color, the reason for the change from green to magenta was because I felt the green bothered my eyes after a while. I do, agree, however, with the 2 zoom settings. It would be better off with just 1 zoom setting.

7. Glad you liked the maps. To answer your question about the safe version of MAP18 - It was designed for those who wanted to do a gameplay video on YouTube. The default music I have with MAP18 may be copyright claimed. The music I used for MAP18 was from an anime. I came across the song by chance and I felt it fit the final boss battle very well. In the YouTube safe version, the song used is the Queen theme from Unreal. Still fitting for the final boss but not as epic.

8. I understand your point of view in regards to the boss rush. This had been brought up before but I felt the design choice I made would be more appropriate. I did think about putting the bosses in as soon as the player completed each Hub but I decided to reject the idea. I know some would disagree but that's okay.

Overall, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Even though this was the last TOTLM wad, as mentioned earlier, I plan on turning the series into a book.

Thank you for your feedback :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Postby StroggVorbis » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:49 am

Bug report for the sniper rifle in TotLM5, 4 and maybe others. If you change to another weapon while zoomed in, it will deselect very slowly.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Discord: StroggVorbis#2466
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby IDKrisis » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 pm

I have a bug to report. The green skull is missing from map10 - Facing Temples, making the map impossible to complete without cheating. I have used the IDDT and IDCLIP cheats to confirm this by examining every pickup I've not yet grabbed.
IDKrisis
Dreaming in Pixels

Postby Alando1 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:40 pm

@StroggVorbis - Bug has been noted. You gave me a neat idea, though. I'll be creating a weapon replacement set soon. To make TOTLM more like Unreal/UT, I'll be adding in the UT99 Sniper Rifle to replace the current Sniper Rifle. I'll be doing something for the Shotgun, too. ;)

@IDKrisis - The Green Skull is not missing from MAP10. Before you enter the door where you use the Green Skull Key on the statue, there's a rocky path to your right, leading to a small cave. The path leads downward, and at the end of the path you'll find a bloody corpse and gibs. You'll know when you're at the end when you are overlooking the lava below. This is where the Green Skull Key is located. The x/y coordinates are around: x=-1808 y=128
If there are any issues, let me know.

-Alando1
Alando1

Postby IDKrisis » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:51 am

@Alando1 - Seriously!? I spent hours scouring that level for the green skull and passed right by the area you mentioned several times without spotting the green skull. I have now confirmed that it is actually there, but I can't believe how many times I've walked right past it without seeing it! Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

I suppose one reason I missed the key was because when I shot the lizard man in that passageway, the body fell down right in front of the key, obscuring it from view. That doesn't explain why I failed to notice the green glow, though.
IDKrisis
Dreaming in Pixels

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects