ONSLAUGHT - GZDoom meets Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

ONSLAUGHT - GZDoom meets Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

Postby Cherno » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:52 pm

ONSLAUGHT - GZDoom meets Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (plus Head Soccer!)

ONSLAUGHT is a melee-focused mod for GZDoom, inspired by Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. It is set in a dark, barbaric fantasy world where you have to fight through arenas filled with deadly enemies and traps.

Gameplay features:
  • Kick your enemies into spikes and lava pits!
  • Bash them with your shield to stagger them, or block their attacks!
  • Use power attacks to deal vicious blows to your foe!
  • Execute fallen enemies to gain rage!
  • Collect enough rage to enter rage mode, becoming an unstoppable killing machine!
  • Participate in a match of Head Soccer!

Description:
ONSLAUGHT started as a simple melee mod after being inspired by the old Barbarian I and II games from the 80s. To add to the deadly feel of combat, the first thing I added was the ability to kick monsters into spike walls that happen to stand around everywhere, in turn inspired by the awesome melee combat system of Dark Messiah of Might Magic. This gameplay style lends itself well to arena-like maps where having all these traps around you actually makes sense ;) I went for a dark and brutal fantasy scenario as seen in Dark Sun or the world of Conan the Cimmerian. In my opinion, model-based actors work better for melee combat due to the smooth frame interpolation, so I added some monsters from Quake and gave them animations for their new abilities and special deaths. To make combat more tactical, enemies can block attacks and won't run around like headless chicken between attacks. The HUD was kept very simple and is in fact not visible most of the time; this is a direct copy of the HUD from Skyrim. Besides stamina and health, I added a rage mechanic that lets you enter a berserker-like mode for a short period of time. Since kicking heads around just had to be included, I also created a soccer field that even tracks score and has (zombie-)cheerleaders.

Included so far:
  • Maps: One map consisting of two arenas (plus a Head Soccer match)
  • Items: Gauntlets, axe, wooden shield, rage pickups
  • Enemies: Knights, deathknights, zombies

Development notes:
The spikewalls were the first thing to be implemented and went through many iterations until I got their behavior (or rather, their victims' behaviors) mostly right. I had to rig and animate the Quake models for the new monster death states, which later came in handy when I wrote more advanced enemy behavior, where they would be able to block your attacks. The player has the ability to kick as well as block and bash with his or her shield plus use power attacks, which all had to work flawlessly together. After I noticed that the player can get surrounded quickly, I added a ground stomp which sends enemies flying away to make for some breathing space.
The map is heavily scripted, especially the head soccer mechanic took quite a while to get right. I chose to include tutorial-like hint messages to explain the new gameplay concepts.

What I would like to add:
  • Power attacks and kicks/bashes for enemies
  • Slow motion / bullet time to dodge enemy power attacks
  • More enemy types, including archers (to make shields even more useful)
  • More weapontypes: Hammers, swords, and two-handed versions of everything
  • Player skill system for longer rage mode, stronger kicks, more damage for power attacks while sprinting,...
  • More maps and traps (fire, or jumppads that launch enemies into ceiling spikes!)
  • More variety in the encounters apart from "monsters plus traps in arena"
  • Some kind of armor system, possibly
  • Boss fights
  • Goofy or Wilhelm scream when kicking enemies into pits (thanks to Monody for the idea)
  • Power attack as a seperate bind optionally (for Delta Touch users)

Recommened with:
NashGore (highly recommended!)
A Patch to change NashGore's footprints to a more medieval style has been included.

Download:
onslaught_0.1.zip
The archive includes batch files to play without any other mods, with Nashgore, or with NashGore + ZMovement (patch included)
ONSLAUGHT works with either Doom II or Hexen IWADS (Hexen is preferable for the more fitting music).

Credits:
  • Raven Software - Assets
  • id Software- Assets
  • Boondorl - Spike Wall relative velocity math, Overlay/PSprite help
  • Jekyll Grim Payne - Overlay/PSprite help
  • Nash - Nashgore
  • Ivory Duke - ZMovement
  • HorrorMovieGuy - Quake asset conversion & actor code
  • Hewson Consultants - Title & title screen art
Last edited by Cherno on Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cherno

Re: ONSLAUGHT - GZDoom meets Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

Postby Dude27th » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:52 pm

This looks really fun ! ^^
I'll give it a try when I can !
Dude27th
N I C E

Discord: Dude27th#5480

Postby TheNoob_Gamer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:13 am

I'm a pretty big fan on first person melee stuff so this is cool; although the current enemies are a bit poor - I found the shield to be pretty useless, as I can just hit and run backwards most of the time.
TheNoob_Gamer

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:21 am

This looks interesting!
I will definitely check this mod.
HAL9000
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Discord: HAL9000#9378

Postby Captain J » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 am

The test map already interesting, and has a lot of possibilities! Tho not sure if fists would get buffed in later version like, doing some kind of glory kill because it's kind meh!

But still, it's very impressive. I didn't know you could do a lot of thing with Q1 models.
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Lagi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:14 am

that is awesome Tech Demo. I approve your enemies roster (hope it doesnt sound too conceited :)), I love the slim knight design from Q1, oh.. those axe vs sword duels .
Kicking enemies into lava, on the spiker or into the pit was very fun!
Lagi

Postby Cherno » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:12 am

Icarus included a short presentation of ONSLAUGHT in his latest Doom Gameplay Grab Bg episode, along with Nightshift and Eternal Slayer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plugHVu ... u.be&t=252
Cherno

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:10 am

Can't wait for more of this

https://youtu.be/t99R5wiSJ7E

Here is my video...
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby slyrboi » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Dope af, i was hoping for a weapons only mod to work universally with other mods
slyrboi

Postby MaxRideWizardLord » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:32 am

a.k.a. Kick Messiah of Shoes and Soles?

Will this mod at least feature the versatile, viable, complex and fun magic system the DMoM&M had? The fireball was there a kick ass, and so was the flamethrower spell.

The telekinesis was one of the best in history of video games too. Not only you could grab enemies over distance to throw them to their death or throw them in to enemies to have a bowling strike kind of mass killing, but grab items, open doors and even pull switches over distances.
MaxRideWizardLord

Postby TontonMayonnaise » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 am

[DELETED BY USER]
Last edited by TontonMayonnaise on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TontonMayonnaise

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:05 am

TontonMayonnaise wrote:This mod looks absolutely impressive ! I like melee combat in FPS games, and doing it for a Doom mod is really hard. Congrats, your mod does it fine ! :wub:

As a suggestion

Try -total chaos and ixhoz

Also there is a heritc mod with uses mostly melee weapons and has some amazing feel to using them and another one called medieval peasents or so which can be used for all maps (doom, heretic aso)
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects