Iron Assault Remake (Demo 1.02)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Mech Action in GZDoom

Postby sherberttcat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:18 am

Oh ho ho! I'm looking forward to this one!
sherberttcat
 
Joined: 30 Jan 2016

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Mech Action in GZDoom

Postby ReformedJoe » Sat May 02, 2020 2:02 pm


Here's a new gameplay video, showcasing the entire first mission.

More news below.
Spoiler:
User avatar
ReformedJoe
 
Joined: 21 May 2018

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Cherno » Sat May 02, 2020 7:21 pm

Very good! I think the mech sprites are pretty plain but if the original game was like this, what can you do? :)
User avatar
Cherno
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2016

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby ReformedJoe » Sun May 03, 2020 11:55 am

Cherno wrote:Very good! I think the mech sprites are pretty plain but if the original game was like this, what can you do? :)

I actually like the sprites. I agree that they are on the smaller side, and their palette is very limited (16 colors). Their being "plain" may have something to do with how I ripped them, since I assumed the game had only 1 play palette (an assumption I am now realizing is likely wrong).

A brief digression: IAs general graphics, wall and floor textures have their palette inside the graphics file. Game sprites pull from common palettes which are actually stored (as far as I can tell) inside the games executable. The palette I used to rip every sprite was one I pulled directly from the games running memory with a hex editor, and in some instances with some sprites it gives odd results.

Anyway, here's a preview of a few other mechs:
User avatar
ReformedJoe
 
Joined: 21 May 2018

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Sun May 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Unbelievable...that THAT that is GREAT ....PLEASE ..if it gets released or a demo I want to show it on my channel ...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXORaP ... 6X0WTfbbSw
User avatar
Ferretmanjcdenton
 
Joined: 09 Mar 2020
Location: Germany
Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Cherno » Sun May 03, 2020 3:26 pm

ReformedJoe wrote:
Cherno wrote:Very good! I think the mech sprites are pretty plain but if the original game was like this, what can you do? :)

I actually like the sprites. I agree that they are on the smaller side, and their palette is very limited (16 colors). Their being "plain" may have something to do with how I ripped them, since I assumed the game had only 1 play palette (an assumption I am now realizing is likely wrong).

A brief digression: IAs general graphics, wall and floor textures have their palette inside the graphics file. Game sprites pull from common palettes which are actually stored (as far as I can tell) inside the games executable. The palette I used to rip every sprite was one I pulled directly from the games running memory with a hex editor, and in some instances with some sprites it gives odd results.

Anyway, here's a preview of a few other mechs:


It looks like the shadows would need to be much darker; Do these really look like this in the original game? they would look much better with a severe contrast incrase, methinks! :ugeek:
User avatar
Cherno
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2016

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby ReformedJoe » Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote: ...if it gets released or a demo I want to show it on my channel ...

Of course!

Cherno wrote:...
It looks like the shadows would need to be much darker; Do these really look like this in the original game? they would look much better with a severe contrast incrase, methinks! :ugeek:


Its very close:


But now that you mention it, it wouldn't be too difficult to simply modify the palette to have more contrast. I'll think on this.
User avatar
ReformedJoe
 
Joined: 21 May 2018

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby ReformedJoe » Sat May 23, 2020 10:28 am

It's been a while, and of course as soon as I typed the words "Demo Soon" I got a little burned out on the project. Such is life.

I'm back at it now though. See below for details, if you so desire.
Spoiler:
User avatar
ReformedJoe
 
Joined: 21 May 2018

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Cherno » Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 pm

It looks great! Please confirm that the window textures are brightmaps :wub:
User avatar
Cherno
 
Joined: 06 Dec 2016

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby ReformedJoe » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Cherno wrote:It looks great! Please confirm that the window textures are brightmaps


Thanks. Yes, in this case the windows were an obvious usage for brightmaps. There is also some indoor stuff, and I think I'll make a variant of the streetlights that have them as well.
User avatar
ReformedJoe
 
Joined: 21 May 2018

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Ozymandias81 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Damn this is pure genius, can't wait to put my hands on this and play it!
User avatar
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.
 
Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Location: Mount Olympus, Mars
Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Captain J » Sat May 23, 2020 11:05 pm

Oooooh Nocturnal Mission. Hope my mech have night vision or flares to lighten up the enemy base, because i'll need those!
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby ReformedJoe » Sat May 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Ozymandias81 wrote:Damn this is pure genius, can't wait to put my hands on this and play it!

Thanks for the interest!

Captain J wrote:Hope my mech have night vision or flares to lighten up the enemy base...

Nightvision is planned. Flares are an interesting idea as well.

Anyhow, here's a really quick update:
Spoiler:
User avatar
ReformedJoe
 
Joined: 21 May 2018

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby Vostyok » Sun May 31, 2020 12:07 pm

This looks really cool. I'm loving the loadout GUI and explosion effects. Nice!
User avatar
Vostyok
Picture by RetroMuffin34 <3
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: New Eden
Discord: Vostyok#3164

Re: (WIP)Iron Assault Remake - Demo Soon

Postby zrrion the insect » Sun May 31, 2020 12:20 pm

This is looking fantastic, I really like the building destruction
User avatar
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Location: Time Station 1: Moon of Glendale

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: goldsteed, knocturnal_one, Viscont23 and 13 guests