[p29] Reelism 2 - Version 1.21 Released! Bugfixes 'n' such

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BouncyTEM
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Re: [p10] Reelism 2 - v0.5 "Early Excess" OUT NOW!

Post by BouncyTEM »

make it to wave 5 on gutrot the first time around, go and buy most of the big items, get killed by the Orb in the second go almost immediately and lose everything.

Yep, that's about right. :v

Damn you, mysterious wazard.
Captain J

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Post by Captain J »

It was sucha fun yet different experience. I swear it's the same game, but it's way different and fancy in a good way. Congratulations on uploading the early version and it deserves more attention. So the game gets nicer and gooder!
Spoiler: And here's the feedback for ye, milord:
I'm literally having a blast with REELism 2 right now. Thanks so much for this awesome game!
Miru

Post by Miru »

Played a few rounds, and here's my feedback:

* I noticed that the sock puppets replaced the bronies as the "harmless" enemy. I actually even got the references to what they were supposed to be! What's more irritating than 800 dollar knockoffs of Sesame Street?
* The burned enemies being tinted gray after burning was a nice touch. Maybe have them tinted orange as they run around burning?
* I noticed weapon ammo counts seem to be lower than in the original. Maybe have them restored to the original counts? This might make flamethrowers more effective.
* I found the NULL reference in the map! It's so funny! Maybe since Zapple is also the name of a Shantae character, find a way to make a nod to her at the Zapple booth?
* Some items like the crates seem to be invisible when I play it.
* The Slug Gun is very underpowered, being weak and slow. I suggest giving it a strong altfire like the MetaDoom shotgun and its grenade dropshot.
Last edited by Miru on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smedis2
Discord: Smeddy Too#7051
Twitch ID: Smedis9

Post by Smedis2 »

Replayed Reelism 1 after trying out this demo, I can definitely say that the two feel like markers of periods of modding. Reelism 1 is still impressive in its own right, but what's been made of 2 definitely feels more "modernized", both because of the engine improvements after all of these years and just a general feeling of a better understanding of gameplay and map design (and also interface design, even!). This may just be me, but it kinda feels like resources are more limited than before, though. I found myself running out of weapon ammo and farming from weak enemies with the default pistol a lot.
undeadmonk354
Discord: Crazyboy88#3491

Post by undeadmonk354 »

I've been playing several rounds of Reelism 2, and here is my feedback and questions:

*The Yeti or not reel was originally a scrapped reel in Reelism 1?
*The Ranger Danger reel would be better with Rottweilers added.
*Is it possible to add custom NPCs to town via modding?
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cubebert »

I've played it for about an hour and a half and I've got to say that this is a well-done experience. There hasn't been a second where I couldn't stop grinning or chuckling from how absurd the matchups can be! There are some bugs/suggestions/questions that I'd like to bring to the thread; feel free to let me know if there's something I'm missing since I've only played five rounds.

1. When you are shrunk down from Micro-Mode and you try to use the football weapon up towards a slope, the player will stop tackling as if he hit a wall (try it on Astrolab X since that's where the bug occured).

2. Is it possible to revamp the starting pistol so that it has its' own visual style rather than using MetaDoom's? I like the idea of having an energy pistol with unlimited ammo, but I think the weapon itself can be changed to fit Reelism's style.

3. How much of Reelism 1's content will be in the final version? Will there be maps or weapons that were cut from the first mod?

Overall, I think that this is a major technical improvement from the first mod and I can't wait to see how the final version will look like. Excellent work, Kinsie!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

It changed a lot, including the Flamethrower. For some reason it's ineffective in mid range combat and just disappears way too quickly. It goes wide, sure, but the damage is not really powerful than the previous one.

But after thinking about previous one had massive amount of damage, i think it's a wee bit of an downgrade.
slayerogames
Discord: slayerogames#2088

Post by slayerogames »

Why did you use the Deathmatch Simulator SSG Sprites?
and if you plan to change them, could you change them to the Doom Eternal SSG Sprites? Because the Doom Eternal Shotgun feels a bit lonely. :|
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

So yeah... These dogs are way loyal to me and manage to corner that poor ox. He has no damage given from the dogs so he just don't even fight back, making the boss fight rather easy.

And btw, can you PLEASE make the explosive projectiles like rockets and grenade glow in the dark? They're like a living PTSD nightmare especially in dark places...
BouncyTEM
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

So, it's a work in progress and i've only got the bare-bones started (for one thing, I need to gather more sounds for half of the enemies), but I do already have an additional reel of enemies - PIRATES!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0zlmsnym3mw0 ... k.pk3?dl=1

they're pretty aggressive and overall pretty dangerous (and the reel reminds me of the daggerfall one from reelism 1 tbh) but they're fun. They occassionally drop coins on their death to add even more points.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: So does this reel rarely play this lil' voice clip as well?
EDIT: Oh hell yes it does

DOUBLE EDIT:

Also i just found out that the smoke is way wavy and sometimes gets cut off like that. And is this intentional? I can fire a tank shell much faster now. It makes the machine gun way obsolete.
eltiolavara9
Discord: eltiolavara9#5628

Post by eltiolavara9 »

okioekoekaoekokok so its amazing as expected but i have some observations or whatever
-double shotgun feels really weak (maybe i'm using it wrong)
-it's harder to find medkits compared to 1 (maybe it's just weird luck)
-i keep getting the sock puppet reel but im pretty sure it's just weird luck and that it'll be less common after more get added
also, is there gonna be new content added to reels that are already in? just curious
the town is really, really cool
edit: also having to wait a few seconds to retry after dying is kind of annoying after a while imo
Last edited by eltiolavara9 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Found a bug that I think nobody's pointed out yet; the upper half of the flying demon things from Quake 1 don't seem to get cleaned up after a while.
Arctangent
Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Post by Arctangent »

this is, without a doubt, the world's #1 melissophobia simulator
Gothic
Discord: #1462

Post by Gothic »

I get this error when I throw a basket ball with the Gun Runner reel:

Also Pie in the Sky is proof that the Football weapon needs to have a brake function.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”