Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO v.1.4 RELEASED!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO RELEASED!

Postby Night Falls » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:43 am

Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:Hey there ..when I start the game (demo ) there is a message
Which says "use wasd to move ...."
But this message doesn't disappear after a few seconds ..it stays there and even repeats itself thousands of times in the console ..

Any idea why ?

Also .. AMAZING what you've done so far ..hope this mod gets way bigger

Here a short video showcase

https://youtu.be/REOLOErx1uU

It should go away once you start moving. I'll have to look into it.
Also wondering, what's the music from? RotA has its own music, it just starts later in the level.

Edit: I just noticed you're using a mobile port rather than regular Gzdoom. That could be related to the problem. I noticed a few other odd things too like the music I mentioned, the blood is different (though I'm guessing you were using a blood mod) and being able to jump into some places you weren't supposed to yet, like in the puzzle room.

I guess I can't expect everything to go perfectly on the first release, try it on a PC if you can and tell me what happens.

And thanks for your interest in this project!

Edit edit:
Upon further investigation I noticed a bunch of mods in the description. Some of those would definitely break things, RotA can't really support most mods because of how many changes it makes. So that explains the other anomalies. I'm still not sure about the WASD thing.
I'd try it without mods and see what happens, and if it still happens try it on a PC.
Night Falls

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Night Falls » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:23 pm

Update: Fixed some bugs, and made a few changes to the demo map. Also replaced the lupine sounds with original ones.
Night Falls

Postby Leglock » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:57 am

Looks interesting! Gotta check it out after some other projects!
Leglock

Discord: Leggo#8138
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO v.1.2 RELEASED!

Postby Night Falls » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:06 pm

New update released!
Rebalanced the crossbow and made it less clunky
Made crossbow ammo easier to see
added arrow trails
improved the demo level based on player feedback
difficulties weren't actually ready yet, so they've been disabled for now
and also fixed a handful of bugs.
Night Falls

Postby Redneckerz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks Night Falls! Have you considered the Steam route?
Redneckerz
To it's ports i may have seen
Spotlight Team

Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Night Falls » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:39 pm

Not really. This doesn't really seem professional enough for steam, and I've used too much of other people's code anyways. It'd definitely be cool though.
Night Falls

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO v.1.3 RELEASED!

Postby Night Falls » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:20 pm

Another new update released!
Compressed all sound effects, making the file size fairly smaller
Changed the monster staggering algorithm so that monsters will flash red more often the lower your health is
Clarified the details of how the fatality dagger works
Fixed lupines still using doom demon sounds sometimes
Night Falls

Postby Redneckerz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:48 am

Night Falls wrote:Another new update released!
Changed the monster staggering algorithm so that monsters will flash red more often the lower your health is

Many thanks for this update, Night Falls! Remains a sight to behold.
PS: you can still put it on steam as a free to play title, or else itch.io?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Postby Night Falls » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Redneckerz wrote:
Night Falls wrote:Another new update released!

Many thanks for this update, Night Falls! Remains a sight to behold.
PS: you can still put it on steam as a free to play title, or else itch.io?

It's possible. The project is hitting some serious roadblocks though. The complete lack of interest from practically everyone being a prominent one, as well as the fact that I can't go much further making this by myself. But thank you for the encouragement :) I'll see what I can do.
Though there still is the issue of it borrowing lots of other people's code (the flashlight, weapon sway, movement tilting, the fonts, etc.), I'm not sure how that affects things.
Night Falls

Postby Ferretmanjcdenton » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 am

Night Falls wrote:
Ferretmanjcdenton wrote:Hey there ..when I start the game (demo ) there is a message
Which says "use wasd to move ...."
But this message doesn't disappear after a few seconds ..it stays there and even repeats itself thousands of times in the console ..

Any idea why ?

Also .. AMAZING what you've done so far ..hope this mod gets way bigger

Here a short video showcase

https://youtu.be/REOLOErx1uU

It should go away once you start moving. I'll have to look into it.
Also wondering, what's the music from? RotA has its own music, it just starts later in the level.

Edit: I just noticed you're using a mobile port rather than regular Gzdoom. That could be related to the problem. I noticed a few other odd things too like the music I mentioned, the blood is different (though I'm guessing you were using a blood mod) and being able to jump into some places you weren't supposed to yet, like in the puzzle room.

I guess I can't expect everything to go perfectly on the first release, try it on a PC if you can and tell me what happens.

And thanks for your interest in this project!

Edit edit:
Upon further investigation I noticed a bunch of mods in the description. Some of those would definitely break things, RotA can't really support most mods because of how many changes it makes. So that explains the other anomalies. I'm still not sure about the WASD thing.
I'd try it without mods and see what happens, and if it still happens try it on a PC.

Hi ..sorry I didn't see you answered me ..

So I tested it without these mods ..still the same issue (I actually can't test it on PC ..but I play around 1000+ mods on my phones with Delta touch and never had such a problem ..only problem exiting with the mobile port is a control based one ..some code which let's you dash or use the mouse in specific situations doesn't work in some really rare cases )

Would it be possible that you test it on your PC ?
Nowadays (also it seems many modders and doom fans don't really like to admit it ) many people play on their smartphone ..I am sure many people would be really happy if your mod would work there completely ..cause it's an amazing one ...
You can use an Android emulator to test it ...if I would have any experience with coding I would do it myself ..but that's not the case sadly ..

Also it's only a suggestion ..what you do in the end is your decision ..
Thanks for trying to help
Ferretmanjcdenton

Discord: https://discord.gg/hRm8w97
Operating System: Other Linux ARM/PPC/etc
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Postby Night Falls » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:34 am

I did some tests a while ago, but couldn't find anything, so I assumed it was the mods or the app. I'll take another look and see if I can find anything, but I can't test it on a phone unfortunately.
If it's alright, if I find anything I could send you the file to test. Thanks for your enthusiasm!
Night Falls

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO v.1.3.1 RELEASED!

Postby Night Falls » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Version 1.3.1:
Maybe potentially fixed a bug I can't test where the "Use WASD to move" doesn't go away on some mobile ports. As an added bonus, on PC it will go away if you push W, A, S, or D instead of just W.
Night Falls

Postby Redneckerz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:44 am

Night Falls wrote:It's possible. The project is hitting some serious roadblocks though. The complete lack of interest from practically everyone being a prominent one, as well as the fact that I can't go much further making this by myself. But thank you for the encouragement :) I'll see what I can do.

You know this ''lack of encouragement'' thing is precisely one big issue i have with the DW forum and why these projects, if covered, get very little love. There is a stereotypical analogy that DW only likes Vanilla/Boom kind of stuff, despite that everything goes. In practice, however, this seems to be the case. Another GZDoom mod like Abysm 2 has a thread aswell, but very little love. It is, however, covered on the Wadazine of this month.

(The Wadazine is a Doom magazine that quite literally looks like its from a actual magazine stand. Editing values are rather high!)

Ill see if i can get Rise of the Abyssal covered for the next issue. If Abysm 2 gets a rightful pass, so should this.

Night Falls wrote:Though there still is the issue of it borrowing lots of other people's code (the flashlight, weapon sway, movement tilting, the fonts, etc.), I'm not sure how that affects things.

You will likely need to maintain a credits list for the assets you use. In general, keep one anyway, people appreciate this more than most. :)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO v.1.3.1 RELEASED!

Postby Night Falls » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 am

Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll try to keep things going as far as I can. There is an issue where some of the sound files corrupted when I compressed them, so I'm gonna have to sort that out, hopefully before any press coverage. But yeah, that sounds great
UPDATE:
I'm working on an update right now to fix and upgrade some things, it should be done by the end of the day.
Night Falls

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC) DEMO v.1.4 RELEASED!

Postby Night Falls » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Version 1.4:
The crossbow is now semi-automatic, so it should be less of a pain to use
The waterfall is prettier
Fixed some corrupted sound effects
Rebalanced some things
Night Falls

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects