Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (1.0.3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby 4shot » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:23 am

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:These are cool! I've already made some replacement pickup sprites for the weapons (will be optional) for a future update, but I like how these reflect both the original designs and my new ones.


Glad you liked them! I only took very slight artistic liberties on a few, but that's exactly what I was going for. A balance between the originals and the new sprites. Amazing port overall by the way! Can't wait to see what else you've got in store for the future.
4shot
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2018

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby jocelynsachs » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 am

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:@jocelynsachs Hi, I'd like to thank you for being in my thread and answering questions, it's been really interesting getting an insight into the development process of the original game. Can I ask if you have any more feedback on my version? How do you feel about the small changes I made to the level designs, and how is the difficulty? Do you have any opinions on the additional assets I made, such as the weapon sprites or diagonal alien graphics? Did I go too far or not far enough in changing things? Just curious about your thoughts!


I think you've done an amazing job! It feels very familiar to play - the only thing I'm not sure about is the way the enemies move around; can't remember if in my version they were a bit more keen to get at you. Have been trying to get WinUAE working to compare but no joy just yet.

EDIT: Got it working! And I have to say it feels pretty spot on.
jocelynsachs
 
Joined: 17 Mar 2020

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby Rayman The Hedgehog » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:28 pm

jocelynsachs wrote:the only thing I'm not sure about is the way the enemies move around

In the original thing, Aliens have a bit dumb behavior that Doom ones, they patrol around the sector and if you shoot (doesn't matter what weapon is) they will go to the source (aleast i read that according to the source code)
User avatar
Rayman The Hedgehog
Nothing to see here, KEEP SCROLLING!!
 
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Location: Venezuela
Discord: Raypuia#6578

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 pm

jocelynsachs wrote:I think you've done an amazing job! It feels very familiar to play - the only thing I'm not sure about is the way the enemies move around; can't remember if in my version they were a bit more keen to get at you. Have been trying to get WinUAE working to compare but no joy just yet.

EDIT: Got it working! And I have to say it feels pretty spot on.

Thanks! Yeah, the alien AI isn't quite right as I had to use the standard Doom AI functions, as I'm not really a programmer and it's a bit beyond me to code new AI, and its difficult to get the exact behaviour from the original source code with it all being in assembly anyway. I actually thought the aliens are a bit more aggressive in Osiris, ranged enemies in AB3D seem to wander about in the distance more to take potshots, whereas in my version even ranged enemies go straight after you. Dunno if it's necessarily better or worse, just different. Sometimes enemies get bunched up together too much or get caught in a corner trying to get to you though, which isn't optimal, but it's just a thing with the Doom enemies so it's the best I can do for now!
User avatar
ArcturusDeluxe
 
Joined: 02 Jun 2019

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby edgymemester » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Would you ever consider giving Alien Breed 3D II the same treatment?
edgymemester
 
Joined: 20 Jun 2015

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby Rayman The Hedgehog » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:22 am

edgymemester wrote:Would you ever consider giving Alien Breed 3D II the same treatment?


Pretty much not, in EAB he said having no interest in remaster The Killing Grounds.

But if someone is wild enough to do it as a expansion, i can help with that
User avatar
Rayman The Hedgehog
Nothing to see here, KEEP SCROLLING!!
 
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Location: Venezuela
Discord: Raypuia#6578

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:01 am

edgymemester wrote:Would you ever consider giving Alien Breed 3D II the same treatment?

Yeah as Rayman said, I don't really like AB3D2 much, the nostalgia isn't there for me. I did have it back in the day but I was a bit disappointed in it even then (though my Amiga was pretty bog-standard so that didn't help!) If I did do something like that it would be more of a totally new episode with new maps but maybe some of the assets and general theme/feel. Hope you understand!
User avatar
ArcturusDeluxe
 
Joined: 02 Jun 2019

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby zxdunny » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 am

Plus AB3D2 had some graphical tricks that I'm not sure are even possible in current Doom engines - stuff like normal mapped sprites and suchlike.

...Would be nice to have AB3D on PC though.
zxdunny
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2020
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby Artman2004 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am

What's EAB?
Artman2004
 
Joined: 01 Sep 2019

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby Rayman The Hedgehog » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:09 am

Artman2004 wrote:What's EAB?

English Amiga Board, a forum dedicated to the Commodore Amiga
User avatar
Rayman The Hedgehog
Nothing to see here, KEEP SCROLLING!!
 
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Location: Venezuela
Discord: Raypuia#6578

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby LOL_DUDE » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Played through the whole 0.9 BETA recently, and it's great! Despite being a pretty obvious Doom clone, it's still got a style of its own and some pretty unique levels. I haven't played the original, nor do I intend to, because Project Osiris seems like so much of an improvement overall. Plus, well, the use of GZDoom features like brightmaps and dynamic lights is nice, too! Great work. :D

I've noticed that the music that you remixed for this game is really, really good, too. So good that I actually went out of my way to extract the OGG files from the IPK3, convert them into MP3 and tag them (even going as far as to design a simple album cover myself) so I can have them in my music library.

I'd like to know, though, do you plan on releasing this music yourself? I'd surely appreciate that. In fact, you could use the album cover I made, or I could design a fancier-looking one to your specifications. Also, you could probably give these tracks better titles than I did. :lol:
LOL_DUDE
 
Joined: 13 Aug 2019
Discord: LOL DUDE#4882
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:07 pm

LOL_DUDE wrote:Played through the whole 0.9 BETA recently, and it's great! Despite being a pretty obvious Doom clone, it's still got a style of its own and some pretty unique levels. I haven't played the original, nor do I intend to, because Project Osiris seems like so much of an improvement overall. Plus, well, the use of GZDoom features like brightmaps and dynamic lights is nice, too! Great work. :D

I've noticed that the music that you remixed for this game is really, really good, too. So good that I actually went out of my way to extract the OGG files from the IPK3, convert them into MP3 and tag them (even going as far as to design a simple album cover myself) so I can have them in my music library.
I'd like to know, though, do you plan on releasing this music yourself? I'd surely appreciate that. In fact, you could use the album cover I made, or I could design a fancier-looking one to your specifications. Also, you could probably give these tracks better titles than I did. :lol:

Thanks for your kind words! Especially about the music, as it doesn't seem to get commented on as much as the other stuff, which is fair, since there's no in-game music yet. I'm working on some fairly low-key dark ambient stuff for in-game at the moment. The thought of releasing the music seperately had crossed my mind so once I've done that if people want I'll look into packaging it up nicely as a soundtrack and put it up somewhere. I have to finish off the other stuff for the 1.0 version too though so it might take a little while!

Most of the tracks do have names btw, they might have been stripped of tags when Ozy81 helped me compress the game data down. The menu/title music is "The Breed", the boss music is "Haywire" and the ending music is "But I Am Alive", the other ones are just sort of brief filler tracks (the win music has a long ambient bit because I didn't want it too loop too quickly, but having 3 mins of silence seemed lame so I thought I'd fill it with something) so I didn't name those really, so they're just called Map Intro and Level Complete. The artist name is "Null Divisor" as well, it's still me, just a pseudonym for music stuff. Hope that helps!
User avatar
ArcturusDeluxe
 
Joined: 02 Jun 2019

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby LOL_DUDE » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:55 pm

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:
LOL_DUDE wrote:Played through the whole 0.9 BETA recently, and it's great! Despite being a pretty obvious Doom clone, it's still got a style of its own and some pretty unique levels. I haven't played the original, nor do I intend to, because Project Osiris seems like so much of an improvement overall. Plus, well, the use of GZDoom features like brightmaps and dynamic lights is nice, too! Great work. :D

I've noticed that the music that you remixed for this game is really, really good, too. So good that I actually went out of my way to extract the OGG files from the IPK3, convert them into MP3 and tag them (even going as far as to design a simple album cover myself) so I can have them in my music library.
I'd like to know, though, do you plan on releasing this music yourself? I'd surely appreciate that. In fact, you could use the album cover I made, or I could design a fancier-looking one to your specifications. Also, you could probably give these tracks better titles than I did. :lol:

Thanks for your kind words! Especially about the music, as it doesn't seem to get commented on as much as the other stuff, which is fair, since there's no in-game music yet. I'm working on some fairly low-key dark ambient stuff for in-game at the moment. The thought of releasing the music seperately had crossed my mind so once I've done that if people want I'll look into packaging it up nicely as a soundtrack and put it up somewhere. I have to finish off the other stuff for the 1.0 version too though so it might take a little while!

Most of the tracks do have names btw, they might have been stripped of tags when Ozy81 helped me compress the game data down. The menu/title music is "The Breed", the boss music is "Haywire" and the ending music is "But I Am Alive", the other ones are just sort of brief filler tracks (the win music has a long ambient bit because I didn't want it too loop too quickly, but having 3 mins of silence seemed lame so I thought I'd fill it with something) so I didn't name those really, so they're just called Map Intro and Level Complete. The artist name is "Null Divisor" as well, it's still me, just a pseudonym for music stuff. Hope that helps!

It does, thank you! Gotta say, "Haywire" is an excellent boss theme, and the reason I went out of my way to extract the music in the first place. Some ambient tracks would be great in the regular levels, though, 'cause I did feel that the game was pretty quiet going through it. Looking forward to that when you can add it, then!
If you can release the soundtrack somewhere once you're done with the game, though, please do so! Also, if you end up putting the Level Complete theme in it (which I would, since it's a pretty good beat for being largely ambient), perhaps you could give it the title "Survived" or "Survivor"? Taken from the game's end level screen, of course.
LOL_DUDE
 
Joined: 13 Aug 2019
Discord: LOL DUDE#4882
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby Dude27th » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:49 pm

ArcturusDeluxe wrote:
LOL_DUDE wrote:Played through the whole 0.9 BETA recently, and it's great! Despite being a pretty obvious Doom clone, it's still got a style of its own and some pretty unique levels. I haven't played the original, nor do I intend to, because Project Osiris seems like so much of an improvement overall. Plus, well, the use of GZDoom features like brightmaps and dynamic lights is nice, too! Great work. :D

I've noticed that the music that you remixed for this game is really, really good, too. So good that I actually went out of my way to extract the OGG files from the IPK3, convert them into MP3 and tag them (even going as far as to design a simple album cover myself) so I can have them in my music library.
I'd like to know, though, do you plan on releasing this music yourself? I'd surely appreciate that. In fact, you could use the album cover I made, or I could design a fancier-looking one to your specifications. Also, you could probably give these tracks better titles than I did. :lol:

Thanks for your kind words! Especially about the music, as it doesn't seem to get commented on as much as the other stuff, which is fair, since there's no in-game music yet. I'm working on some fairly low-key dark ambient stuff for in-game at the moment. The thought of releasing the music seperately had crossed my mind so once I've done that if people want I'll look into packaging it up nicely as a soundtrack and put it up somewhere. I have to finish off the other stuff for the 1.0 version too though so it might take a little while!

Most of the tracks do have names btw, they might have been stripped of tags when Ozy81 helped me compress the game data down. The menu/title music is "The Breed", the boss music is "Haywire" and the ending music is "But I Am Alive", the other ones are just sort of brief filler tracks (the win music has a long ambient bit because I didn't want it too loop too quickly, but having 3 mins of silence seemed lame so I thought I'd fill it with something) so I didn't name those really, so they're just called Map Intro and Level Complete. The artist name is "Null Divisor" as well, it's still me, just a pseudonym for music stuff. Hope that helps!


Could you add the CD32 music add-on in the main post btw ?
[Also mini-bump because this mod deserves more recognition]
User avatar
Dude27th
N I C E
 
Joined: 19 Jun 2016
Discord: Dude27th#5480

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:56 pm

Dude27th wrote:Could you add the CD32 music add-on in the main post btw ?
[Also mini-bump because this mod deserves more recognition]

Oh yeah, good idea, done! I'll include it in the next version, too.
User avatar
ArcturusDeluxe
 
Joined: 02 Jun 2019

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MObreck, PresidentKoopa and 0 guests