Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.10 BETA)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.9 BETA)

Postby sergeirocks100 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:03 pm

i'm perfectly fine if you don't, but would you consider adding ammo pickups to the troopers? i run out of ammo constantly during the game, and having the troopers drop some ammo based on their type would help out a lot, if you don't want to do it for whatever reason, it's fine, but if you did, i would appreciate it
sergeirocks100

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Cherno » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:46 am

I approve of this idea. Have them spawn lesser version of rifle, shotgun, and plasma ammo.
Cherno

Postby zxdunny » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:01 am

OP was originally asking about difficulty levels - as well as the usual (more/less enemies that deal more/less damage) then adding ammo drops on the easier setting might be a nice addition.
zxdunny

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks, I'll look into this, it probably is a good idea to have an extra source of ammo that requires a little effort (killing monsters), adds a bit of gameplay variety and eases some of the resource strain. I did notice ammo gets REALLY tight near the end, and especially for the Pulse Rifle which chews through it.

Honestly I've been a bit burned out the past few weeks so progress has been slow, but I'm working on a big update featuring difficulty levels, and I've added some extra items like small armour and medkit items, so I have to do a big balancing pass on all the maps anyway. So yeah, I'll see what I can do!
ArcturusDeluxe

Postby aconike » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:03 am

As the original owner of the original, this is literally a GOD game. I played this game about 50 times because there was nothing better at AMIGA. This remake is super unique and I finished it in 2 hours. Everything looks like the original + a few improvements that I praise. I just went back 20 years and enjoyed it. I'm already looking forward to the new maps and updates. Thanks!!!
aconike

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am

aconike wrote:As the original owner of the original, this is literally a GOD game. I played this game about 50 times because there was nothing better at AMIGA. This remake is super unique and I finished it in 2 hours. Everything looks like the original + a few improvements that I praise. I just went back 20 years and enjoyed it. I'm already looking forward to the new maps and updates. Thanks!!!

That's kind of you! I'm still slowly but surely plugging away at the new update btw. Adding difficulty levels is the main big thing, it's a much bigger task than I thought, especially alongside adding new item pickups; I'm adding small health kits, armor shards and dropped ammo pickups from the alien troops. Lots of balancing to be done! Don't really have an ETA yet but progress is being made.
ArcturusDeluxe

Postby Nmn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:40 am

I've played through the entire thing.
It is fabulous!
I'm really glad someone took care in recreating this forgotten gem which is Alien Breed 3d in Gzdoom so now people can enjoy high resolution and so on.
Congrats!
Nmn
Dafuq lmao

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby aconike » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:36 pm

I need to contact the creator of this game, a remake or whatever. I want to participate in new maps, consultations and / or comments. Can ArcturusDeluxe call me? I can't write PM.

ps. what does it look like now? In general? When will the new version be released?
aconike

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:33 pm

aconike wrote:I need to contact the creator of this game, a remake or whatever. I want to participate in new maps, consultations and / or comments. Can ArcturusDeluxe call me? I can't write PM.

ps. what does it look like now? In general? When will the new version be released?

Hi! While I'm ok for maps for the main mod at the moment (though I have some ideas for the future), making your own should already be possible, though I'd advise hanging on for the next couple of updates. Any comments you have are welcome too! I'm on Twitter at @arcturusdeluxe as well, if you want to get me over there.

This reminds me, it's probably time for a STATUS UPDATE!

I've gotten back into working on the next update pretty hard the past couple weeks, and am getting closer to something I can release. It was going to be a fairly quick update but it kind of scope-creeped into something bigger. Might still take a few more weeks to get done, mental health permitting, but it's getting done. The next update will be 0.10, then hopefully follow it up fairly quickly with a full 1.0 version, depending on the feedback I get.

Here's some stuff I've already added for 0.10:
  • Difficulty levels - there are now three modes, Contamination (easy), Infestation (medium) and Extinction (hard). These feature different amounts of enemies in the maps, and the enemies are quicker and more dangerous on hard.
  • All new sprites for pickups, particularly weapon pickup sprites that match the new first person designs. These can be swapped out for the originals if desired.
  • There are now small medikits (with both classic and new sprite variations) and armour shard pickups. Also trooper enemies now drop small ammo cases.
  • A ton of edits to the original maps, for aesthetic and gameplay reasons. Loads of secret rooms added too. I've tried my best to balance out improving the experience with retaining the overall layout and feel of the old maps.
  • One for the violence fans, smaller enemies (red aliens, all troopers and the mini eyeballs from the spawner) now gib more satisfyingly when exploded, with their own unique gib sprites that bounce around and stay on the floor for a while. There's also more blood spray on regular death. Some aliens now have brown blood for added alien-ness.
And there's a lot more besides. Most of what I need to do now is making sure the difficulty balance is right - now I've added the ammo drops, the new pickups, secrets and difficulty levels, this is taking a lot of work! I want to make sure its at least ok before putting it out there. That's why this next update isn't 1.0 yet, as I want to make sure other people like it before considering it a 'full release'. Also it gives me time to finish off the new soundtrack I'm working on for version 1.0 as well. I'll be adding the CD32 music option at that point as well.

At one point I was working on porting the demo maps with the green aliens. This will still happen at some point but there are actually quite a lot of different graphics in the demos compared to the full version. Some of the texture choices in these demos are a bit ugly and random honestly, and need some work. Some of them are even just straight up stolen from Doom! Which is convenient for me in a way, but I want to make it all look cohesive and don't really want to directly use Doom stuff. Also the green aliens only have front-facing frames so I have to draw a lot of new sprites for those. I've made quite a lot of progress on this already, the basic maps are already ported, but this game has already gone beyond scope and something has to give. Expect these later on in a future update beyond 1.0.

I don't have any specific ETA unfortunately, you know how weird things are at the moment. I'm aiming for end of the year for 1.0 at the very very latest, but this gives me a lot of slack and I don't see why it wouldn't be done a while before then. Stay tuned! :D
ArcturusDeluxe

Postby Cherno » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Sounds great, especially the health and armor pickup mechanics!
Cherno

Postby Artman2004 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Say, are you aware of this thread?: viewtopic.php?t=37544

It has rips from Alien Breed 3D I and II, and even some unused stuff like a flamethrower weapon and a big red alien with a three-barreled gun. (I think they're unused, I haven't really played the original Alien Breed 3D.)
Artman2004

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Artman2004 wrote:Say, are you aware of this thread?: viewtopic.php?t=37544

It has rips from Alien Breed 3D I and II, and even some unused stuff like a flamethrower weapon and a big red alien with a three-barreled gun. (I think they're unused, I haven't really played the original Alien Breed 3D.)

I wasn't aware of the thread, but all the AB3D assets here are from the same source code archive I've been using, so nothing super new here for me! Still thanks though, it's actually still quite useful as if I decide to re-implement any of the unused assets in future, it's a nice clean archive of them that's already been converted and cleaned up.
ArcturusDeluxe

Postby Rayman The Hedgehog » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 am

Actually, the archive was a bit incomplete.
Most of the resources it contain was mostly from Alien Breed 3D II, the AB3D stuff was ripped using the John Girvin's Qbreed tools and some recoloring by screenshots
Rayman The Hedgehog
Nothing to see here, KEEP SCROLLING!!

Discord: Raypuia#6578

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 am

Rayman The Hedgehog wrote:Actually, the archive was a bit incomplete.
Most of the resources it contain was mostly from Alien Breed 3D II, the AB3D stuff was ripped using the John Girvin's Qbreed tools and some recoloring by screenshots

Yeah yeah, I forgot about some of the textures being from the QBreed stuff when typing that. Most of the assets are from the AB3D2 source though.
ArcturusDeluxe

Re: Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (0.10 BETA)

Postby ArcturusDeluxe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Project Osiris v0.10 is out!
DOWNLOAD

NEW STUFF!
  • Difficulty levels: Three levels of difficulty - Contamination, Infestation and Extinction, each one harder than the last. Contamination is an easier mode where you have extra protection against enemy attacks. If you just wanna see everything there's no shame in picking this! Infestation is about where the last version was, maybe a little harder due to adjustments to enemy stats, but still, it's a middling difficulty that should provide a decent challenge on the later levels. Extinction mode features faster, more aggressive and damaging foes, and less equipment to help you. Note that I've only tested these by myself, and I've played through the game so many times my mind is a smouldering ruin, so things are probably too easy/too hard/whatever! Your feedback is welcome, feel free to shout angrily at me!
  • New pickup graphics: All the pickuppable items have been given a nice graphical refresh. New weapon items now look like their modern first-person sprites. New medikits have green crosses that don't violate the Geneva Convention! Ammo pickups are more... ammo-ey! You can toggle between the old ones and the new ones too.
  • Stimpacks and armor shards: There is now another flavour of health pickup, the stimpack. It gives you a small boost of 10 health, and now the larger medpacks give you 25. Armor shards are now a thing too, and will give you 5 armor. Stimpacks have a 'classic' version of the sprite, by the way, so if you have the old pickup sprites selected, it will change to fit in better.
  • Ammo drops: The Troopers will now drop ammo (with new pickup graphics) - depending on their respective type. Should help keep you stocked up!
  • Gibs: Red Aliens and Troopers will explode majestically with new custom-made gibs if you hit them hard enough. You'll probably need a Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher or explodey barrel to see it in action. The baby eyeballs that spawn from the weird lumpy brown chap will now pop satisfyingly as well. Some aliens have brown blood now too, for added grossness.
  • Level design tweaks: Lots and lots of tweaks made to the levels, in service of making them look and/or play nicer, hopefully. I've been careful to keep the original maps somewhat recognisable though. Also some maps now feature crates! Everyone loves crates!
  • Secrets secrets secrets: Along with the main obvious path, there are now lots more dark corners to poke and prod at, to reveal extra goodies (and sometimes baddies!)
  • Integrated CD32 soundtrack support: Bare in mind this isn't quite finished yet, so it's currently console command only, but it should work ok. I'm still writing my own new soundtrack for the game as well, so I'm working on a system that should allow you to change between old and new easily. For now, try "ab3d_music 1" in the console if you're interested in this.
There are loads more changes in this version! The difficulty stuff took longer than I thought so I ended up with more time to add more bits in between working on that. I'll update the changelog in the OP for the full list.

As ever, feedback is appreciated, especially with the difficulty level stuff as it is hard to gauge by myself. Let me know if I've got anything horribly wrong, which is quite likely! Cheers all.

PS. Shout out to Kinsie for letting me use the extra frames for the red aliens that he made for Reelism 2. Ta very much!

SCREENSHOTS!

Spoiler:
Last edited by ArcturusDeluxe on Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ArcturusDeluxe

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects