[WIP] Unnamed Aliens Mod

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] Unnamed Aliens Mod

Postby Namelessdeity » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:23 pm

The currently unnamed aliens project sets out to recreate all the original locations seen in the films, along with possibly a few of the comic books. It will span from Alien to Covenant. It is still in early development, and I will be updating as it moves along.

So far, I have a good chunk of the Nostromo mapped out, and have most of Hadley's hope completed. It is all episodic and hub based, with lots of areas to explore.

Title Screen
Spoiler:

Map Shots
Spoiler:

Ingame Screenshots
Spoiler:

Youtube video showing a bit of the map, I have more vids on my channel, along with a clip of my zombie mod I am also working on
Spoiler:
Namelessdeity

Discord: necrovore#5915

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Aliens Mod

Postby jdredalert » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:27 pm

I have an eternal love for the Aliens online sprites. They are probably the best Aliens weapon sprites in a game, period. That being said, your pulse rifle has this strange grey line on it. It's easily removable, so no big deal. I also loved the maps, so well crafted. This is really promising.

If you ever need some graphical resources, give me a shout. There are plenty weapons that i can donate for you.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby Namelessdeity » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Thanks! I do love the Aliens online sprites, but I will be making my own for this project. Im currently photographing a bunch of my neca figures and will be re-touching them later, along with drawing new weapons sprites.

I will keep you in mind for graphical resources, the hardest thing I've had at the moment is figuring out the layout of the other decks on the nostromo, it's kind of a maze of confusion.

Here is an example of some alien art I did recently, I will be combining this look along with the figures for my alien sprites https://www.deviantart.com/immortalunde ... -827779987
Namelessdeity

Postby skdursh » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:42 am

I don't have much to say other than it looks good and look forward to a demo or release.
skdursh

Postby Rex705 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:37 am

I'm always up for another good Aliens map. Can't wait to play.
Rex705

Discord: Rex705
Twitch ID: Rex705

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:16 am

I like your style of mapping, reminds me of a more polished and modern Alien Trilogy style :wub:
So far this has been the only Aliens related TC that has catched my attention in a long time. Keep up the good work!

I've been working endlessly on my own Aliens TC for years too:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53849

At some point I had (and I still have) the whole Hadley's Hope Colony recreated on a single map, featuring every part seen on the movie and the rest of the colony made from scratch. The map was so big that it was barely playable, I had to scrap it and start it again this time working on a HUB environment.
Deimos Anomaly

Postby CeeJay » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:46 am

Looks pretty damn good so far, could do with a little more variable lighting to enhance the atmosphere. Evyerthing looks a bit too bright and clean at the moment. Also, there should definetly be raining outside of Hadley's Hope.
CeeJay

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:07 pm

CeeJay wrote:Looks pretty damn good so far, could do with a little more variable lighting to enhance the atmosphere. Evyerthing looks a bit too bright and clean at the moment. Also, there should definetly be raining outside of Hadley's Hope.

I tried with rain in the past and the result was a huge performance drop and memory loss on most computers. You need a high amount of actors to make a slightly realistic rain on Doom. While it could look beautiful for a moment, it kills playability and the enjoyment of such map/TC/mod.
Deimos Anomaly

Postby Namelessdeity » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:33 pm

skdursh wrote:I don't have much to say other than it looks good and look forward to a demo or release.

Rex705 wrote:I'm always up for another good Aliens map. Can't wait to play.

Thanks, may be a while before something is ready, but I will release something!

Deimos Anomaly wrote:I like your style of mapping, reminds me of a more polished and modern Alien Trilogy style :wub:
So far this has been the only Aliens related TC that has catched my attention in a long time. Keep up the good work!

I've been working endlessly on my own Aliens TC for years too:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53849

At some point I had (and I still have) the whole Hadley's Hope Colony recreated on a single map, featuring every part seen on the movie and the rest of the colony made from scratch. The map was so big that it was barely playable, I had to scrap it and start it again this time working on a HUB environment.

Thanks, I love the feel of Alien Trilogy, so I was inspired it to make a modern-ish version. I've been watching your TC, I guess the map you are talking about is this one?
Spoiler:

I love the layout you've got, I split mine up into a hub also, makes things run a bit smoother.

CeeJay wrote:Looks pretty damn good so far, could do with a little more variable lighting to enhance the atmosphere. Evyerthing looks a bit too bright and clean at the moment. Also, there should definetly be raining outside of Hadley's Hope.

as Deimos Anomaly said, I'm worried about performance drops, right now its early WIP and Im still making the outside textures. I may just make it a foggy map if rain is a problem.
Namelessdeity

Postby Deimos Anomaly » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks, I love the feel of Alien Trilogy, so I was inspired it to make a modern-ish version. I've been watching your TC, I guess the map you are talking about is this one?
Spoiler:

I love the layout you've got, I split mine up into a hub also, makes things run a bit smoother.

Yes, exactly this one. Though this video is quite old, that's a very early and unfinished version of the map.
As I mentioned, when the map was finished I had to scrap it for good: my mapping skills improved to a new level where this map looked actually bad to me and it had serious performance issues. It was worthless except for all the experience I gained developing it.
Right now I have the whole Atmosphere Processor map finished (including the Xeno Hive), the exteriors of the Colony and the first building (Administrative Block).
I work on it on and off twice per week aprox, but I barely post any advances on my post or elsewhere.

Regarding Alien Trilogy, I grew up playing this game on my good old PlayStation and I still have the same copy my parents gave me when I was a kid.
I have so many fond memories of this game, and I still regard it as the best Alien game ever produced.
I'm really stoked to play your TC, as it looks and feels like a spiritual succesor of Alien Trilogy but with all the advantages of GZDoom :wub:
Deimos Anomaly

Postby Namelessdeity » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Small update, a start to replicating the Alien Covenant corridors. I'm happy with the layout.

Spoiler:
Namelessdeity

Postby eadzon64 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:19 am

great, keep up the good work!
I'm always looking forward to Aliens themed Mods
and this one looks definitely very promising
eadzon64

Postby Kontra Kommando » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Really nice work!
Kontra Kommando
Weyland-Yutani Commando

Postby Namelessdeity » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:34 am

eadzon64 wrote:great, keep up the good work!
I'm always looking forward to Aliens themed Mods
and this one looks definitely very promising

Thanks!

Kontra Kommando wrote:Really nice work!

Thanks!

Shot of the atmosphere processor as seen from the colony, along with the new pulse rifle
Spoiler:
Namelessdeity

Postby eadzon64 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm

I have fallen in LovešŸ˜ƒ
this looks so cool!!!
will this be my Aliens Mod of choice?
with Eradication, you have a good competitor
eadzon64

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects