RELAX: The spiritual successor to "Chillax"

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Chris Moyer

RELAX: The spiritual successor to "Chillax"

Post by Chris Moyer »

Hello, I would like to invite everyone here to follow a project that me and a few others have been working on for some time. It is called "RELAX" and is an indirect/spiritual sequel to "Chillax". None of the members from the original Chillax are involved with this project, and all of the maps are our original work.

Some things I believe you guys will happy to hear about this project are:

1. It will be fully compatible with Zandronum and cooperative/online play.

2. Although detailed maps will of course be a feature, one thing we are really focusing on is the interactivity and "eventfulness" of the maps. Many maps will feel "alive". With moving parts and machinery, scripted lighting, earthquakes, fires, weather, interactive security cameras (Much like Duke Nukem 3D), explosions, walls you can blow up etc.

3. HIGHLY varied themes and styles. Your player will go from mountains to caves, space stations to moon bases, Hell and back, the abstract/bizarre... some maps will take advantage of many modern GZDoom features, while other maps will be well made Classically themed maps using only vanilla textures and engine features. There will be something for everybody!

4. There will be TWO game modes: one is "Casual" and and one is "Chillax/Slaughter"

Essentially, these are mostly just two different difficulties:

-You should pick the "Casual" mode if you are looking to beat this with vanilla weapons, and are looking to have an easier, more enjoyable single player experience, like your more typical MegaWAD, instead of being forced to deal with the difficulty the original Chillax has.

-"Slaughter" mode will be the original style the first Chillax gave, with insane numbers of monsters, and massive battles. This mode will be more suitable for people who want to pair this WAD with an Over Powered weapons mod (Such as eweps.wad or Russian Overkill) and/or would like to engage in large battles with their friends online, as this is where the first Chillax seems to have the most popularity.

Please consider following this project and others, under the general modding hub "DOOM Modding" on social media. We will be posting to these locations with updates and activity much more often than here.

DOOM Modding Discord: https://discord.gg/CSsUtex
(#Relax [this is currently the most frequently updated spot for this particular project])

DOOM Modding Twitter: https://twitter.com/doommodding

DOOM Modding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DOOMModding/

DOOM Repository on Facebook (our discussion group affiliated with DOOM Modding) https://www.facebook.com/groups/180107965965298/

*In the future, you can expect my YouTube channel to feature more content from this project.*

Check out the screenshots below to see what has been done so far. Feel free to ask any questions and leave feedback! :D

CLICK to see the GIF!

CLICK to see the GIF!
Last edited by Chris Moyer on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: RELAX: The spiritual successor to "Chillax"

Post by Ozymandias81 »

You know I am following its development for a couple of years, really looking forward of what will be and finally have some fights together in zandro... Will be pretty great!
Chris Moyer

Post by Chris Moyer »

Ozymandias81 wrote:You know I am following its development for a couple of years, really looking forward of what will be and finally have some fights together in zandro... Will be pretty great!
I'm excited to man! A WAD that is fun in both Single and Multiplayer!

Even several of these maps are accidentally great for Deathmatch.
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

Admittedly Chillax is a guilty pleasure of mine considering its questionable origins so the fact an indirect sequel with original content is in the works makes me super happy (despite the fact I suck at slaughterWADs lol). <3
Chris Moyer

Post by Chris Moyer »

Nems wrote:Admittedly Chillax is a guilty pleasure of mine considering its questionable origins so the fact an indirect sequel with original content is in the works makes me super happy (despite the fact I suck at slaughterWADs lol). <3
We're glad! I've been working on this almost every day. I hope to get a demo out sometime within the next couple of months.
Chris Moyer

DOOM Modding - Timelapse: Building terrain with Ultimate Doo

Post by Chris Moyer »

This is part of a map that will be featured in RELAX

Chris Moyer

Post by Chris Moyer »

Here is a nice compilation of some animated environments in RELAX as well!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”