WolfenDoom: Second Encounter [DEMO 1.3.1 - ON HIATUS]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

WolfenDoom: Second Encounter [DEMO 1.3.1 - ON HIATUS]

Postby CantSleep » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi there! This mod will be on a indefinite hiatus. I have a couple of projects going on; once they are finished for the most part I will continue work on this one. Happy nazi hunting!

Current version: DEMO 1.3.1

I'm working on a remake of WolfenDoom: Second Encounter. This time there will be proper assets and enemies from WolfenDoom Enhanced and properly scaled levels (compared to the original which has 2x larger rooms than BJ and the nazis).
This is currently a 12 level demo.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/we4ags912dhwyou/wolfen_2nd_v2.zip/file

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:
Spoiler:

Special thanks to Simbey who made the Wolfenstein MAP to WAD converter, if it didn't exist then this mod would have been much harder to make.
Last edited by CantSleep on Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia
Global Moderator

Re: WolfenDoom: Second Encounter [DEMO]

Postby skdursh » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:28 am

This is just personal opinion so I could possibly be the outlier here, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to replay Wolfenstein 3D in the modern day. Sure it was interesting when it was first released and it was all we had, but every room of every level in every episode just looks the same. Utterly dull exploration of claustrophobic spaces with grey stone, red brick and some Nazis. These days we have access to so many things that are infinitely more interesting than the original Wolfenstein game I really just don't understand the point because so few people will ever have any desire to play it. And if anyone does want to play it they can very easily use ECWolf to do so. Sorry if this is coming across as harsh, but it honestly just seems doomed (no pun) from the start to me.
skdursh
Global Moderator

Postby CantSleep » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:55 am

skdursh wrote:This is just personal opinion so I could possibly be the outlier here, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to replay Wolfenstein 3D in the modern day. Sure it was interesting when it was first released and it was all we had, but every room of every level in every episode just looks the same. Utterly dull exploration of claustrophobic spaces with grey stone, red brick and some Nazis. These days we have access to so many things that are infinitely more interesting than the original Wolfenstein game I really just don't understand the point because so few people will ever have any desire to play it. And if anyone does want to play it they can very easily use ECWolf to do so. Sorry if this is coming across as harsh, but it honestly just seems doomed (no pun) from the start to me.

You're gonna have to hold on to that thought. In order to pick up the pace, when this gets a full release there will be more than just blasting nazis with the same ol' machine/gatling guns. :)
Last edited by CantSleep on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia
Global Moderator

Re: WolfenDoom: Second Encounter [DEMO 1.1]

Postby CantSleep » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:06 am

DEMO 1.1 has been released, including two new weapons: Flamethrower and Rocket Launcher.

• Added Floor 2-1
  • Map improvements
  • Fixed pushwalls going up again after pushing it from the other side
  • Player's weapons can no longer do 0 damage
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia
Global Moderator

Postby Phredreeke » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:54 am

By Wolfenstein MAP to WAD converter do you mean the Mac version? Because I thought that had a different format. (Though maybe that has been figured out by now?)

Anyway nice to have the Mac mapset converted to PC.I know about Laz Rojas mod but as you say the maps are too large relative to the sprites in them.
Phredreeke
Global Moderator

Discord: phredreeke#6500

Postby AstroCreep » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:33 am

skdursh wrote:This is just personal opinion so I could possibly be the outlier here, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to replay Wolfenstein 3D in the modern day. Sure it was interesting when it was first released and it was all we had, but every room of every level in every episode just looks the same. Utterly dull exploration of claustrophobic spaces with grey stone, red brick and some Nazis. These days we have access to so many things that are infinitely more interesting than the original Wolfenstein game I really just don't understand the point because so few people will ever have any desire to play it. And if anyone does want to play it they can very easily use ECWolf to do so. Sorry if this is coming across as harsh, but it honestly just seems doomed (no pun) from the start to me.

There is an entire community that proves that this is indeed only an opinion. I realize I’m preaching to the choir a bit here, as most people here seem to be bored by tile based mapping, but the wolf community is still alive and kicking, so there are plenty of people who want to replay Wolfenstein 3D in the modern day.
AstroCreep
#FEARTHEBLOBOID
Global Moderator

Postby CantSleep » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:39 am

Phredreeke wrote:By Wolfenstein MAP to WAD converter do you mean the Mac version? Because I thought that had a different format. (Though maybe that has been figured out by now?)

Anyway nice to have the Mac mapset converted to PC.I know about Laz Rojas mod but as you say the maps are too large relative to the sprites in them.

The maps I'm converting are from a Wolf3D mod called "Mac-enstein 3D" that ports all the Mac levels to the PC version, complete with enemy directions too. I haven't checked out the Mac formats yet, but I'm assuming they need a lot more manual preparation than the current maps being used in this mod.

If you're curious you can try out the converter on custom Wolf3D maps by yourself:
http://www.simbey.com/doom/maptowad.asp
And here's the map pack I use:
http://www.wolfenvault.com/files/mods/mno/MAC2SDL2.ZIP
CantSleep
Powered by insomnia
Global Moderator

Postby Caleb26 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Why don't you use my Spear of Destiny The Lost Episodes for Gzdoom as a template? https://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfendoom/addons/sodmpks10b
It features sliding doors (like in original Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny) and also score system.
Caleb26
Global Moderator

Postby CantSleep » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Caleb26 wrote:Why don't you use my Spear of Destiny The Lost Episodes for Gzdoom as a template? https://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfendoom/addons/sodmpks10b
It features sliding doors (like in original Wolf3d and Spear of Destiny) and also score system.

I'm assuming you haven't tried the mod :) It already has sliding doors (except pushwalls aren't horizontal, but the effect is good enough) and having a score system is an obsolete thing nowadays.
CantSleep