BlooM - DooM/Blood crossover

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheDrugod
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: BlooM - DooM/Blood crossover

Post by TheDrugod »

BoJustBo wrote:Arachnospider... sooooo, spider spider?
Or just spidertron....
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

BoJustBo wrote:Arachnospider... sooooo, spider spider?
Spider squared.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

That surreal city level looks AMAZING. :shock: Will be glad to give this a try this weekend.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Just saw Icarus's video of this, and it certainly piqued my interest. I'll give the demo a spin myself ASAP. c:
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

This is a really interesting mod. I have a request, though. As I don't use mouse-look, I wonder if it's possible to have an option to either re-centre caleb's weapons after the kickback or, else, switch the kickback off entirely. As it stands, I can only really play as Doomguy but I'd love to get stuck in with Caleb, too. :)

BONUS REQUEST: Perhaps an option to slow down the fire rate of some enemies would be good, too? They're pretty lethal just now!
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

Barry Burton wrote:As I don't use mouse-look, I wonder if it's possible to have an option to either re-centre caleb's weapons after the kickback
There's a button binding in GZDoom for that - look for "Center View" in the controls.
LOZ_98

Post by LOZ_98 »

I love this. love the surrealness of the environments and how you merged areas from both Blood and Doom while still making them play different, and I like your use of silent teleports. though admittedly some areas felt a little annoying to navigate with the many props that blocked me or my view in some situations. I was going to report an issue of the switch not animating underwater in the first level but I see that's already taken care of in the github page.

I'd like to suggest placing an invisible bridge in the outdoor area where the underwater switch is in the first level and surrounding it with monster-blocking linedefs, so monsters don't fall and get stuck in the water. and making it clear what keys the player picked up in the smaller hud / status bar. Still going through this and haven't encountered major issues yet. keep it up!
GENTEK

BlooM - DooM/Blood crossover

Post by GENTEK »

Oh wow what a good project with an awesome esthetic! Good job guys this is really unique and we never know what will happen since all is crazy as fuck haha. Btw maybe some floating platform or room could be nice to simulate the levitation. :)
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

I finally played through it and for the most part I think it's great, but there are a few things that bug me.
On several occasions a door tells you it's locked and you have to cross the entire map to unlock it or find the right key... Then you have to walk all the way back, usually without any new enemies in your way to spice things up. Gets pretty dull if you ask me.
Lot's of insta-death pits. Those just ruins all the fun when trying to play without quicksaves.
Boondorl

Post by Boondorl »

Been messing around with Blood: Fresh Supply and I thought I'd give some insight into the player dynamite bundle since getting concrete numbers seems to be rare:
  • The fuse time from when you click fire/altfire to when the TNT explodes is 5.45 seconds (~191 ticks in Doom)
  • The amount of time it takes from pressing fire/altfire to the TNT exploding in the player's hand when not tossed/dropped is 4.85 seconds (~170 ticks in Doom)
  • It takes 2 seconds (70 tics in Doom) to reach the maximum throw speed when charging
  • The fuse for TNT is only set when using the altfire, otherwise it will fly through the air infinitely until hitting something
    • The formula for this is a little complex. The fuse is set on the dynamite when the player throws/drops the TNT but the duration of the fuse is stored when either:
      • The player begins charging to throw
      • The player presses the altfire button again to drop it
      • Example 1: The player presses altfire and waits 3 seconds. They then press the fire button to begin charging. The fuse time stored is 5.45 - 3 = 2.45 seconds which is the fuse time when finally thrown
      • Example 2: The player presses altfire and waits 4 seconds. They then press the altfire button again to drop it. 5.45 - 4 = 1.45 seconds is the fuse time when dropped to the ground
  • TNT has no impact damage on the projectile itself
  • Altfire TNT will never explode when hitting an actor; only when the fuse runs out will it explode
  • The formula for the throw speed is as follows: baseThrowSpeed + throwSpeed*throwTime
    • baseThrowSpeed is ~10.97 units/tick in Doom
    • throwSpeed is ~40.23 units/tick in Doom
    • throwTime is incremented every tick the player is charging. It starts at 0 and every tick in Doom 1/70 of a second is added to it, capping at a value of 1
  • TNT is thrown at an upward angle of 30 degrees regardless of charge. If dropping with altfire, TNT is given no velocity or launch angle and is instead spawned and allowed to drop to the player's feet via gravity
  • TNT has a blast radius of 150 units in Doom
  • The damage the explosion deals is complex due to the way Blood explosions work. The explosion has an initial damage it deals on the first tick and an amount of concussive damage it deals every tick over its lifespan
    • The bonus initial damage on the first tick is max(20+random(0,9) - Distance2D(target) + 0*2, 0)
    • The damage dealt to the target every tick it is in the blast radius is ((900 / (Distance3D(target) + 4) * 4) / 16) * (30/35)
    • Knockback is applied every tick the target is in the explosion
    • The explosion lasts 1 second (35 ticks in Doom)
  • TNT has 5 HP and can be damaged like any other shootable actor
  • TNT takes fall damage
  • TNT explodes when it's destroyed
  • When entering deep water while holding a lit bundle of TNT, it will drop and explode on impact regardless if fire or altfire was used. The exception to this is if you use altfire and then begin charging a throw. When it's dropped it will still have a fuse time and will not explode on impact
  • TNT dropped above water via altfire will keep its altfire properties when entering the water
Hope this helps with balancing the TNT since I know it's kinda infamous for always feeling off in ZDoom
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i don't know why but. the levels like make me sorta feel light headed. doesn't help to that the framerate is a bitch
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:i don't know why but. the levels like make me sorta feel light headed. doesn't help to that the framerate is a bitch
What's your set-up/what version of GZDoom are you using? My laptop is moderately decent, but still a generation or two outdated with a GTX 1060-6GB, 16GB RAM and i7-7700HQ CPU, but I was still able to get like 80 - 120+fps everywhere with basically all of the bells and whistles turned on besides texture upscale filtering.
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

skdursh wrote:
MrRumbleRoses wrote:i don't know why but. the levels like make me sorta feel light headed. doesn't help to that the framerate is a bitch
What's your set-up/what version of GZDoom are you using? My laptop is moderately decent, but still a generation or two outdated with a GTX 1060-6GB, 16GB RAM and i7-7700HQ CPU, but I was still able to get like 80 - 120+fps everywhere with basically all of the bells and whistles turned on besides texture upscale filtering.
i use Zandronum. and i don't know the other stuff
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

@boondori - Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation, we'll try to follow accurately if possible that dynamite behavior for the final release :)

@mrrumbleroses - inside Options /Bloom Options/ Performance options select Disable models and voxels and choose yes, I guess your pc is not a modern one (but well BlooM run smoothly even from my 1gb videoram pc so I wonder)
Chipper35

Post by Chipper35 »

This looks......WOW!!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”