(WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deimos Anomaly

(WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

(WIP) Quake 2 TC: Great Zigurath Destruction

-Project description:

“Quake 2 TC” Is a TC for Doom 2 that runs solely on GZDoom.

It uses all the original textures from Quake 2 on their original rendition as well as most of the ambient sounds of the game. The TC runs with the outstanding “Quake 2 Stuff” mod that brings all the weapons and enemies straight from the game into GZDoom with total accuracy.

The music comes from the Quake 2 port of Nintendo 64, composed by Aubrey Hodges.

My aim is to create a near perfect recreation of a ID Tech 2/Quake 2 level or expansion pack but with the Doom engine, enhanced and made possible only with GZDoom. Despite a few structural features and effects that are only possible on the Quake 2 engine, the results are near identical and that proves again how an ancient engine like Doom is capable to reach a similar level of technical capabilities with ease.

-The story behind this project:
Spoiler:
-Plot:

Who cares about plots anyway? :lol:
Spoiler:

-Resources/Who's helping me?:

Ozymandias81 for playtesting, tech help, resource building and tweaks.
TheCameleonMaligno and theundeadsoldier for Quake II Stuff.
Aubrey Hodges for the Quake 2 N64 OST.

Additional Thanks to: Tormentor667 for his repository.

-Pictures:

-DEMO RELEASED:
https://gofile.io/?c=PY6Zfl
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Pi-KLr ... 51_u8/view
Last edited by Deimos Anomaly on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: (WIP) Quake 2 TC - DEMO RELEASED!

Post by Ozymandias81 »

It is a pleasure contributing on and off for little gems like this one, let's see what people will think about it :)
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Ozymandias81 wrote:It is a pleasure contributing on and off for little gems like this one, let's see what people will think about it :)
Can't thank you enough for all your contributions and help :D I'm really impatient to see how people react to this project; as you know it is a very personal TC!
Iniquitatis
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Iniquitatis »

While in '00s I was playing PSX version of the game, this TC still feels pretty authentic (although with somewhat different level layout) and brings back memories. :')

I hope someday we'll see the proper muzzle flashes for the Quake 2 weapons. %)
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Looks pretty good. From the screenshots it's hard to tell whether this is a GZD mod or an addon for the original Q2. Seems like this is something I need to keep an eye on.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

The download link refuses to download more than 500kb or so before ceasing to download.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Same. Find a file host that functions.
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Thats alot of 3d floors and slopes.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Will update the link when I'll be on pc, as a suggestion try download it from Opera browser (since it has embedded vpn for free)

[EDIT]: Here you are the link, get it from here if you can't from main OP (until further updated thread)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pi-KL ... WUpJ051_u8
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Download links shouldn't care what your browser is. Typically Dropbox, Mediafire, Google Drive, or Mega are used for that. By far the best option in my opinion though is what mods such as Lithium, Doom Tournament, Doom4Doom, and HeartsOfDemonsBaron do, that is Git.

EDIT: Downloaded, and interested. GZDoom can re-create so many games so faithfully that it's ridiculous.
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

Iniquitatis wrote:While in '00s I was playing PSX version of the game, this TC still feels pretty authentic (although with somewhat different level layout) and brings back memories. :')

I hope someday we'll see the proper muzzle flashes for the Quake 2 weapons. %)
I have the Quake 2 PSX version too and I never liked it. I bought it very cheap (second hand) around 2002 or 2003 and I never played more than 10 minutes. It looked ugly, sloopy, there were lots of cut-down details and features compared to the PC/N64 versions that it looked atrocious to me. But in contrast to the N64 version, it ran smoothier; similar to the PC version. But I think this was the only positive thing It had.

But better not derive this thread to which was the best port... It's all about love for Quake 2 :)
NightFright wrote:Looks pretty good. From the screenshots it's hard to tell whether this is a GZD mod or an addon for the original Q2. Seems like this is something I need to keep an eye on.
Thank you very much :D This is part of what I aimed while doing this TC, blur the line between GZDoom and Quake 2. I hope you enjoy it!
Kinsie wrote:The download link refuses to download more than 500kb or so before ceasing to download.
fakemai wrote:Same. Find a file host that functions.
The OP has been updated with a new link!
Gorman Frebmane wrote:Thats alot of 3d floors and slopes.
...and? Is this good? bad? I don't get your comment at all.
Ozymandias81 wrote:Will update the link when I'll be on pc, as a suggestion try download it from Opera browser (since it has embedded vpn for free)

[EDIT]: Here you are the link, get it from here if you can't from main OP (until further updated thread)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pi-KL ... WUpJ051_u8
Can't thank you enough :D
fakemai wrote:EDIT: Downloaded, and interested. GZDoom can re-create so many games so faithfully that it's ridiculous.
I agree. The GZDoom engine is so powerful, malleable and polyvalent that I am sure it can recreate most modern stuff.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Impressive. The weapons are mostly spot-on, though something strange going on with the firing animation of the rocket launcher and I don't remember the grunts being so easy to kill or dropping weapons and ammo in the original game.
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

id love to see quake 3 remade or just a quake that crazy fast. that's what I liked about q3. its more like your in a car going off jumps then running.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

sirudoom wrote:id love to see quake 3 remade or just a quake that crazy fast. that's what I liked about q3. its more like your in a car going off jumps then running.
Regarding Quake 3, Hunter's Moon is pretty much that, just with a few additions and a massive campaign of its own.
Datapunk

Post by Datapunk »

This is absolutely amazing, well done! I'm really eager to try the full version.
What's kinda bothering me, though: when using TargetSpy and showing the enemy tags everything is labelled "Zombieman".
Maybe you can assign proper tags? But that's just minor nitpicking. ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”