MOTI 2.0 Story-Driven TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer

Re: MOTI 2.0 Story-Driven TC

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

I am really glad that you all were able to find all those bugs and other stuff. I have already managed to remove the missing "!" objects, and I will try to make the polyobjects have sounds, but I don't know how to do so, because I am not that good with polyobjects. I will overall do major fixes to all 10 levels, so anymore reports of bugs and strange findings are very welcome.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Hello again! I just finished the second level. Another fantastic level with great atmosphere. Here are some issues I found:

1. If you drop down to the left of this box, you'll get stuck and have to noclip out: https://i.imgur.com/xm0drcS.png
2. If you jump down into the river in front of the big waterfall here, there is no way back up. Again, noclip required to get out: https://i.imgur.com/QGOAO3O.png
3. The texture on the top of this rock is sliding along and animated like the water, looks very weird: https://i.imgur.com/0owhfy8.png
4. (balance issue) The start of the map is covered in food, and there aren't many health pickups / food near the end of the map. Every time I took damage, I found myself trekking all the way back to the start of the map (if you run diagonally you can run up the waterfall slide), grabbing more health food, and going back to where I was. I ended up walking the entire length of the map about 4 or 5 times due to this. Having health items distributed across the map a bit more evenly could fix this.
5. Like the first level, I kept getting stuck behind the slightly arbitrarily placed various invisible walls while secret hunting.

Also just a couple of other miscellaneous nit-picks:

1. The countdown timer at the end of the level is so small, and the colour blends in with the textures used, so I never noticed it until I almost had no time left. Maybe make it so the text is larger and is a more noticeable red or something.
2. Not very important, but the sound that plays when you press the 'use' button against a wall etc. sound more like a violent hiccup than a grunt or anything. I found it very funny but I don't think it was intentional.
3. Now that the enemies are becoming tougher, the reload animation is becoming even more frustrating. I found I had to count how many bullets I had fired between gunfights so I wouldn't get stuck out in the open with that long reload animation playing.

I hope you don't see my feedback as being harsh or negative. This mod is amazing and has a really special atmosphere and the level design is top notch. I love this mod and want to help you make it as good as it can be. Thank you for putting this together.
I'll continue to provide feedback for the rest of the levels if you like, and I am really looking forward to playing through it again when it is finished.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Sorry to spam you with these, but I guess feedback is what this thread is for. Map 3 stuff:

1. I got stuck for a long time at the start area - I had no idea how to get inside the building. Turns out there was an explosive barrel? that I was supposed to use to blow up the gates, but the barrel is invisible on my PC! I can collide with it, but I can't see anything. I only found it when I accidentally shot it: https://i.imgur.com/3lhPPji.png
2. At the end of the level, there is a very deep box shaped/textured hole that if you fall in will get the player stuck: https://i.imgur.com/T5vSl5C.png
3. This wall in this chunk of the level is not solid / glitchy: https://i.imgur.com/K2aN50z.png
4. You need to break this wooden cross to progress in the level. You used this exact same asset to block the player's path in the first level and it was invincible, as it was every other time it has appeared. Maybe you should use something else as you've taught the player that this is an invincible asset up until this point in the game. https://i.imgur.com/nnd8ejT.png
5. Not sure if this is a bug. Are the walls of the mine supposed to be made of water? https://i.imgur.com/r6WFGNF.png

Also, I found a temporary solution to the reloading, but it's also a bug. If you switch to a different weapon and back again, it 'reset' the number of bullets loaded in the drum / tube.

Having great fun playing BTW!
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Much obliged! I'll see what I can do with all these bugs and issues, since almost all of them seem easy enough to fix. I am glad you help me find these problems because I can finally realize what people have issues with and make sure that this mod will be great once all of them are fixed.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Just a few more:

1. This doesn't look big enough for a person to fit through. Seems OK for a secret but I guess a lot of people might miss that you need to go through here to progress: https://i.imgur.com/WP9rejg.png
2. These flimsy roots hanging from the cave roof are solid and block the player. I couldn't move forward until a pressed the duck button. https://i.imgur.com/F6f2f6X.png
3. Another invisible explosive barrel https://i.imgur.com/r5ZUUEU.png
4. I jumped down here to kill the dog there and there is no way back up https://i.imgur.com/jt4vyrB.png

:D
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

I am going to replace the explosive barrels with sprites - they were originally going to be 3D models, and they work fine when I play them, but they kinda conflict with the rest of the mod's artstyle and feeling, so I'll just replace them with sprites - and even custom sprites at that!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is a really good TC and exactly the kind of original content that I love to play - interesting, cohesive, good looking, fun, novel...

As I've been going through it I have noticed most of the things that gennoveus has mentioned, but I don't think I've picked up anything additional (great work on the bug hunting and reporting gennoveus).

I guess my only style comment on the mod is the inconsistency of enemy appearance. Some are reasonably normally proportioned human enemies based on photos whereas others are much more cartoony and vividly coloured Doom and Hexen-like enemies. I know that the plot goes some of the way to explain this and if you're not a spriter then you have to use what's available but I thought that I'd mention it anyway.

Oh yeah, and the fact that some plants are flapping around in the breeze and others are not. :P
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

How's this for a barrel sprite? I did it myself editing the normal one. Tried to make it look like the enemy workers just scribbled "TNT" and some warnings on it with chalk.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It's certainly better than being invisible. ;)

Looks good to me - fits in pretty well with the rest of the aesthetic.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Once all the bug fixing is done, I plan on adding some more additional content to the mod to spice up the gameplay. What would you people want to see in it?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I would suggest one more weapon. I'm not sure exactly what, but I felt that it was missing a weapon - perhaps something quite powerful and projectile based (sort of filling a BFG-like role). Perhaps the protagonist could get a magical ability from killing one of the key spirit/ghost enemies or something?
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Enjay wrote:I would suggest one more weapon. I'm not sure exactly what, but I felt that it was missing a weapon - perhaps something quite powerful and projectile based (sort of filling a BFG-like role). Perhaps the protagonist could get a magical ability from killing one of the key spirit/ghost enemies or something?
Great ideas here. Either or both would be great!
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

I have managed to fix 95% of the issues presented by you guys so far, the only ones I can't get around is the water walls and non-solid wall in the mine, since for me it works fine and I don't really know how these things could be fixed, these must be some strange bugs for sure, because i don't see any way how they could happen - I looked through the wall code in third level and found nothing suspicious.

Other than that I fixed everything, including making sure all the invisible walls that might lock players inside of them in MAP01 and MAP02 are fixed, players may no longer access inaccessable areas, fixing the boxes in MAP02 and MAP03 (the box-hole), adding barrel graphics, changing textures of barricades in MAP01, and so on, and so forth.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:I have managed to fix 95% of the issues presented by you guys so far, the only ones I can't get around is the water walls and non-solid wall in the mine, since for me it works fine and I don't really know how these things could be fixed, these must be some strange bugs for sure, because i don't see any way how they could happen - I looked through the wall code in third level and found nothing suspicious.

Other than that I fixed everything, including making sure all the invisible walls that might lock players inside of them in MAP01 and MAP02 are fixed, players may no longer access inaccessable areas, fixing the boxes in MAP02 and MAP03 (the box-hole), adding barrel graphics, changing textures of barricades in MAP01, and so on, and so forth.
I don't know much about these things, but are you using the latest build of gzdoom? The different results might be due to the different versions of gzdoom. Just a thought. Either way, really looking forward to playing again when all the issues are fixed.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

gennoveus wrote:
WojtTheDoomer wrote:I have managed to fix 95% of the issues presented by you guys so far, the only ones I can't get around is the water walls and non-solid wall in the mine, since for me it works fine and I don't really know how these things could be fixed, these must be some strange bugs for sure, because i don't see any way how they could happen - I looked through the wall code in third level and found nothing suspicious.

I don't know much about these things, but are you using the latest build of gzdoom? The different results might be due to the different versions of gzdoom. Just a thought. Either way, really looking forward to playing again when all the issues are fixed.
Im not using the latest build of GzDoom, so that's propably the case.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”