MOTI 2.0 Story-Driven TC

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
WojtTheDoomer

MOTI 2.0 Story-Driven TC

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

MOTI is officially FINISHED and AVAILABLE at MediaFire!

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/9bdp9urax ... s.zip/file

I decided to start working on a a 2.0 version of my older mod, Mystery Of Tyskie Islands. With all the changes done, I might as well call it a completely new mod...

Story:

The Year is 1912. You take control of Frank Masseur, an Austro-Hungarian soldier. You are send on a diplomatic mission on a ship, it would be just a stroll, but alas, something went horribly wrong - during a sea storm your ship gets destroyed, and you, the sole survivor, land on the shores of a country only known as the Island Empire. You saved your Gasser revolver, and as you exit the seaside cave you woke up in, a strange voice enters your mind.

"Hello, can you hear me?"

The voice, claiming to be a "psychic individual" explains everything - the usually peaceful country got taken over by a dictator known as Pica, and his militia known as Island Empire Revolta. Their goal is simple - to enforce an eugenics campaign upon the people, and bend the nation to his will. His motto is "suvival of the fittest", and he won't stop at nothing, even building a giant mass-euthanasia plant known as CREC-001. You, and the voice decide that it's time to destroy the mad dictator, and his regime...

What will the mod feature?

10 levels, each one different - from underwater mines, to mansions, and even sections of cities, all done in a fitting, 1910's atmosphere, featuring a unique mixture of tropics, WW1-esque trenches with primitive bunkers, and Victorian era, steampunk insides!

Over 20 new enemies, including bosses - the most dreadful of Pica's cronies, mini-bosses - commanders of Revolta, and of course the Revolta members themselves, armed to teeth with everything, from Revolvers, to Gardner Guns! And even more enemies which I won't dare to reveal...

A easy-to-follow story with additional background lore with no gameplay-stopping cutscenes! - everything you need to know is told to you by the mysterious voice who guides you through the Island Empire, and you can read up on additional lore by reading notes scattered around levels, written by both sides - the opressed citizens who are on the run for their lives, and the dreadful Revolta higher-ups! Each boss has his own lore, and backstory, and some minibosses do too, all available in the notes. Some of the more, ahem, private notes are hidden, much like they would be in real life...

Secrets! - It wouldn't be Mystery Of Tyskie Islands without the Mysteries...and every level is packed with secrets! Some are hidden in the dense jungle undergrowth, some are hidden between many crates, and some...oh well, you'll see.

MOD PROGRESS STATUS:
-Finished Script: 100%
-Finished Maps: 100%
-Finished Custom HUD: 100%

Last edited by WojtTheDoomer on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
skdursh

Re: MOTI 2.0 Story-Driven TC

Post by skdursh »

In my opinion you might want to seriously reconsider that logo font, because it is completely unreadable. The mod itself looks pretty cool though and I look forward to playing it.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

skdursh wrote:In my opinion you might want to seriously reconsider that logo font, because it is completely unreadable. The mod itself looks pretty cool though and I look forward to playing it.
The logo is only a W.I.P, I'll propably change it soon.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Also, minor nitpick, but you might want to change that double-barrel shotgun (unless that's a placeholder). If you must use Caleb's old boomstick (and, to fair, it is a very fetching piece), there is a centred version that better matches the view origin of your other weapons:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=63523

Mixing angled and centre-view weapons always looks jarring. Apart from that, looking forward to seeing the rest of your work. Looks beautiful so far. :D
Korell

Post by Korell »

I agree with the comment about the logo font. The T looks like an E and the y looks like an n.
Anyway, is this a remake or a sequel? I remember playing a little of MOTI and I even did some fixes (sprite fixes, an ammo fix, correcting the LOCKDEFS and later a correction to the MAPINFO).
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Korell wrote:I agree with the comment about the logo font. The T looks like an E and the y looks like an n.
Anyway, is this a remake or a sequel? I remember playing a little of MOTI and I even did some fixes (sprite fixes, an ammo fix, correcting the LOCKDEFS and later a correction to the MAPINFO).
A new version, with better maps, better enemies, more stuff, and a proper ending. The older version was rushed and I didn't include half of the stuff I planned on - this version will have this, and more. It's the MOTI I wanted to create in 2017, but didn't have the skill, time, or will to do.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

This look fantastic; you really have my attention! Maps already look really good. Can't to see how this develops.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Vostyok wrote:Also, minor nitpick, but you might want to change that double-barrel shotgun (unless that's a placeholder). If you must use Caleb's old boomstick (and, to fair, it is a very fetching piece), there is a centred version that better matches the view origin of your other weapons:

Mixing angled and centre-view weapons always looks jarring. Apart from that, looking forward to seeing the rest of your work. Looks beautiful so far. :D

Is that sprite free to use, or should I ask for permission of the author?
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:
Vostyok wrote:Also, minor nitpick, but you might want to change that double-barrel shotgun (unless that's a placeholder). If you must use Caleb's old boomstick (and, to fair, it is a very fetching piece), there is a centred version that better matches the view origin of your other weapons:

Is that sprite free to use, or should I ask for permission of the author?
I'd say just credit the author in the credits, that's all.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The screenies look really nice!
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Okay, so I've got this idea how to spice up the mod, and overall the way it is played - sometimes, mid-level, player will fight a mid-boss, or a mini-boss if you will. Bosses are already planned out and programmed, but I got this idea:

The player, once a level, or twice in later ones, and even four in two last ones (which will be quite large) would fight stronger Revolta members stylized after Wolf3D bosses (big, muscular guys with one rotation sprite, made by me). I so far have ideas for all four types:

-Jungle Leader: has a flare gun, can fire a single flare that would set the player on fire, or cause a small damaging fire to appear in the place it landed.

-Indoors Leader: has a Gatling gun, deals big damage, but his bullets aren't hitscan, they're projectiles, and as such can be easier to avoid.

-Scientist: throws syringes filled with toxins that poison the player deal damage over time.

-Sentry Guy: slow, has two Gatlings, insta-kills the player upon shooting, but needs to spin his guns up beforehand, making him more of an obstacle beatable by dodging and ducking for cover than an enemy.
WojtTheDoomer

Post by WojtTheDoomer »

Well guys, as people say, accidents happen...

The wad suffered a horrible blow to it's development - a bug with one of my programs caused it to literally delete most of what I worked on recently in it. Luckily I had an older version saved on my hard drive, but still - the damage has ben done. Two full maps, MAP07 and MAP08, and half of MAP06 got deleted.

I hope that all of you will understand the situation in which I am right now - I literally have to repeat a full month of work I spent on MAP07 and MAP08, and finish MAP06. Now i'll make sure to make backups all the time.

I apologize for my own stupidity and not making them beforehand.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Let me guess, XWE wad editor?

It's happened to me a couple of times, but eventually you just have to dust off and start again. Maybe even make changes for the better, where before you felt the need to just finish the map. Hang in there pal.
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Sorry to heard that, hope you can get back on track.

If someone still want to use XWE, it's perfectly fine, just...keep doing daily backups to your WAD/mod files to prevent some nasty happens like that because it's known to corrupt files it opened and your hard works will be gone.

But still, same thing apply to other editors or everything, backup all your shit, whatever it is/they are. :wink:
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

WojtTheDoomer wrote:Well guys, as people say, accidents happen...

The wad suffered a horrible blow to it's development - a bug with one of my programs caused it to literally delete most of what I worked on recently in it. Luckily I had an older version saved on my hard drive, but still - the damage has ben done. Two full maps, MAP07 and MAP08, and half of MAP06 got deleted.

I hope that all of you will understand the situation in which I am right now - I literally have to repeat a full month of work I spent on MAP07 and MAP08, and finish MAP06. Now i'll make sure to make backups all the time.

I apologize for my own stupidity and not making them beforehand.
Please don't be discouraged by this set back; we aren't going anywhere so please take your time. :D I am still really looking forward to how this turns out. BTW Please investigate use a version control system like git, coupled with a free git hosting site like gitlab.com so you can avoid issues like this. These (or any other version control software - doesn't really matter which you use) have saved me so many times from similar disasters. Not only does it back up your data, you can rewind time and fetch older versions of the same file at any time, and have multiple people edit one file. You can even roll back your entire project by and hour, day, or month if you like. Good luck!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”