Darkmoon (2019 alpha)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DMPhobos

Re: Darkmoon (2019 alpha)

Post by DMPhobos »

Thanks for the feedback, we had plans of revising the maps again and make some changes once the remaining ones are complete, so it will be the perfect time to address the light issues and add more light contrast, out of the current maps played, was there a map in particularly that really needed contrast?
Deimos Anomaly

Post by Deimos Anomaly »

I've completed the Alpha yesterday so I can now comment some things:

-The first time I only played up until the mid of the second map. I am sorry to say that it was very disappointing, bland and boring. I didn't like it or enjoyed any bit. :(
I quitted and forgot for awhile.

-Then I revisited this thread and I noticed the "sanitized" version. Why not to give a try? And man, that has been the best decision:

I played the Alpha twice. First with Brutal Doom and then with an Aliens mod. The experience has been simply amazing!! Now I know what was wrong before: the damn old and outdated Doom 3 weapons/enemies mod. It feels slow and boring, to the point that this obscured how beautiful and simply outstanding your maps are. They are pieces of art and among the very best maps I ever played on Doom. Congrats!!!! Darkmoon is the most memorable map-pack to date.

I'm simply in love with it :wub:

I can only suggest to scrap the whole Doom 3 thing away in favour of a sanitized product or with a better weapons/enemies mod. Best regards!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I've only really skimmed checking for issues with the "sanitized" version I posted, but the lack of contrast seems to be fairly consistent across the board so far. If I had to pick, I'd say that the large warehouse areas in Map02 were exceptionally flat. I'll keep playing and let you know if I find any particular areas.

Note, I think this is mainly an issue with the indoors. The lighting feels really nice and natural for the outdoors and helps sell the whole "dark moon" bit, like you're under a diffuse ambient night sky. Indoors there should be deeper darks and brighter brights, because of the lack of diffuse fill lighting and presence of overbearing artificial light sources. You could meet in the middle for places with large windows, like the lobby lounge area in MAP01.

(on a separate note, I'll update the sanitized version at that link to replace trites with lost souls, hopefully they'll be small enough to not get stuck in the vents. you don't need to change any links)

8-)
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

I agree about the lack of contrast and that the bright areas would benefit from added brightness, yet not so sure if the dark areas should be even darker. Darkmoon is already quite a murky mapset, adding deeper darks might transform it into a pitch-black one.
Zemakat
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

Utterly beautiful, I just love all of this. Doom 3 aesthetic + map exit replayability = a match made in...Hell, I guess. But a good kind.

I like the variety of the imps as well. The Z-Sec dudes were kinda rough but eh...

One question, though, as I never completed the mod.
Spoiler:
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

Noted!, the warehouse map is getting a revision already, and the sector lights are something that is getting changed
Remaker wrote:You know that room with all that toxic waste being leaked from pipes, with some containers pumping them up and down? I got stuck there. Did I simply end up in a spot where the map was going to continue in a later build?
Uh oh, i think i know the spot you're refering to, it isn't supposed to end there, but rather be a big fight before the exit opens, i'll note that down and check what could had gone wrong. Thank you for letting us know of this issue
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Very promising and awesome TC you're working on there. That Sanitized version works with other TCs as well! Like... Shut up and Bleed! Really suits with the spooky and dark style. It was a blast. I honestly love the Doom 3 style with a bit of D64 Plus PSX Doom twist. And i see that you can choose the path to travel through! Each map is quite different and makes you think where you should go. Very impressive! Also the Textures and the Structure was fine and well detailed. Totally would look forward to it.
Spoiler: Oh, and mind if i share some feedback and suggestions as well?
And here's all i can spare for now. I still haven't check out the rest of the map because MAN, this TC is very bigger than i thought! Keep up the good update there!
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

Glad you liked the mod so far! :D

Thank you for the feedback, we had been aware of some of the issues you mentioned and they're gonna be fixed or changed, there's also some bugs we missed that you pointed out.

One small note about the BFG, so far it isn't available on the current maps, but it's still accessible with cheats, partially because of this, the bfg still uses an old behaviour that's really awkward to use. The BFG is gonna be redone from scratch for a hybrid between the classic BFG and the doom 3 BFG so that it becomes less finicky to use (and doesn't kill you when you use it at a close range, it except for maybe when you overcharge it hehe).
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

And glad you found my feedback and suggestion helpful. I'm still playing this TC because again, this thing has a lot of place to explore. And made the extra feedback on the way!
Spoiler: Care to join me?
That's all for now. More feedback will come. You've made a lot of large and grand progress there! Keep it up.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Here are some last feedback;
DMPhobos

Post by DMPhobos »

Noted! Seems there's a lot of stuff to fix, so thank you for pointing out all that stuff we missed, some stuff like the elevators should be an easy fix, i hope you enjoyed had enjoyed the mod despite all that hehe
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

DMPhobos wrote:
Remaker wrote:You know that room with all that toxic waste being leaked from pipes, with some containers pumping them up and down? I got stuck there. Did I simply end up in a spot where the map was going to continue in a later build?
Uh oh, i think i know the spot you're refering to, it isn't supposed to end there, but rather be a big fight before the exit opens, i'll note that down and check what could had gone wrong. Thank you for letting us know of this issue
I too got stuck here, I think it has something to do with the door to that room opening too soon, because I hadn't even gotten the red key yet, but that's the room before the exit.

I must say, I like how this mod is moody without going "full retard" on the darkness. Some authors have to be playing with their gamma on the highest settings because a lot of these doom 3 inspired maps are too dark to see anything.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

Just started playing this mod, and I've gotta say, this is excellent! I love how you can take alternate exits. However, I do have some criticisms.

The maps can be quite hard to navigate. There was one point where I had to noclip just to progress because I was trapped in the room before the exit in the Toxic Plant.

The grenades are kinda useless. They bounce too much and don't seem to do that much damage.

Some of the monsters are little too fast in my opinion.

By the way, would you be able to make it so that we can use the enemies and weapons in other maps?
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

Hello. I made a version of this that's sort of semi-sanitized. It can be played with other weapon mods with a patch or two I also made, since I don't really know mapping, and it still has all its unique monsters, just with their health values tuned down to vanilla levels and they drop vanilla ammo types. I also sped up the labcoat zombies just a little. Would it be alright if I shared them?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Not sure if the author is still working on this, but I already made and linked a Sanitized version back on Pg1. If yours is different I think it'd probably be fine to share it.

8-)
Irrevenant

Post by Irrevenant »

Yours had the enemies replaced with normal Doom monsters, right? I kept all the mod-specific ones.

But alright, I'll take it down if I need to.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hfeswcd6 ... M.zip/file

In the zip is the Maps & Monsters version of Darkmoon along with the needed patches. I think the generic one will let it work with most weapon mods, and I specifically made one to be played with the Ashes 2063/Afterglow weapon set. I think the two actually go pretty well together. I've only played through the first few maps, though, so there may be some floating exclamation points I missed somewhere. And I kinda ballparked the monster health so that they seemed fair.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”