ALIEN BASTARDS! [Halloween Harry-starring PC]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Big Ol' Billy

ALIEN BASTARDS! [Halloween Harry-starring PC]

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

dbp13_title.png
DOWNLOAD: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... /d-f/dbp13
(Apologies to those who have already seen this elsewhere, but I figured it'd be of interest to ZDoom Forums folks.)

It ain't easy being a former 90's action game hero in the 21st-century gig economy. But when wily alien bastards kidnap Earth's accountants, you might just have a chance to relive your glory days! Ok, ok, maybe it's not the sexiest mission, but it'll pay the fuel bills this month. So grab your flamethrower, put that old blue helmet on, and get ready to kick some alien ass! ... right after a quick nap.

ALIEN BASTARDS! is the 13th monthly limit-removing project from the wild and wacky folks in the Doomer Boards community. This set, our first partial conversion, features 8 maps of (ahem) "alien carnage," 1 credit map, and a MAP30 menagerie showing off the many custom resources. Check the credits text file for complete credits, but special mention to this forum's own Skelegant for the alien imp/sergeant sprites, which feature in several of the new enemies.

COMPATIBILITY
Spoiler:
SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
spoone

Re: ALIEN BASTARDS! [Halloween Harry-starring PC]

Post by spoone »

Surprised no one has commented. The name actually caught my eye on the archives. I only skimmed the description so when I started playing it and realized it was an Alien Carnage aka Halloween Harry doom inspired mod I was caught off guard.

I really like the design of this. The levels, weapons and enemies are very well made. It really brought me back to the days of the original Alien Carnage and maybe some hints of Duke 3d. It was great that someone remembered Alien Carnage because I always wondered why no one tried to take a stab at making it into a doom wad earlier.

I really hope to see more wads like this from you. Still waiting on a Mystic Towers Doom wad *hint hint*
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This looks definitely promising, I will take a closer look at the mod as soon as I get back home :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I like this. It's got quite a feel of an "old school" TC. i.e. everything replaced (and done so very nicely) but you can still see/feel the heritage of many of the various elements of the game. Only played a couple of levels but so far it's been good fun and it's well made.
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Thanks Enjay! That means a lot considering how helpful your dehacked tutorials have been :) You got the M.O. of this project just right—an old-school TC feel where there’s a lot of cosmetic re-theming, but it’s a comfy Doom experience under the hood.

Also glad you enjoyed it spoone. Apogee had a lot of fun characters and themes in the PC side-scroller heyday—sometimes even when the games themselves were a little undercooked. Considering how iconic Duke once was and the warm reception for Hocus Pocus Doom (based on one of those cool but kinda undercooked old titles), I’ve long felt like there’s a lot to mine out of those properties. I can’t promise anything on the Mystic Towers front (a bit less familiar with the source material unfortunately) but that’s a cool idea!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I definitely like the Retro style and Opposite way of Raiding-Area-51 there. I really love this TC and i found this nostalgic! Custom enemy sprites and Harry's face on the HUD! I like the map gets serious and darker each step forward. it also have Easter Eggs and Monster Closet surprises... Speaking of Monster Closet, this TC is also quite challenging to go through. Even on Earth Needs Heroes difficulty. Some maps troll you over with the teleporting monsters even. Seeing Chaingunners and Revenant coming as a group definitely reminds me of Plutonia's, in a good way. It was fairly challenging, so it wasn't a big deal.
Spoiler: And here's my feedback.
Thanks for the sweet TC! And i have a question. Is MAP07, Makai Tensho based on The End of Evangelion? The Intermission mentions "Kimochi Warui". And it and the Name of the Map is in Japanese even!
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Captain J wrote:I definitely like the Retro style and Opposite way of Raiding-Area-51 there. I really love this TC and i found this nostalgic! Custom enemy sprites and Harry's face on the HUD! I like the map gets serious and darker each step forward. it also have Easter Eggs and Monster Closet surprises... Speaking of Monster Closet, this TC is also quite challenging to go through. Even on Earth Needs Heroes difficulty. Some maps troll you over with the teleporting monsters even. Seeing Chaingunners and Revenant coming as a group definitely reminds me of Plutonia's, in a good way. It was fairly challenging, so it wasn't a big deal.
Spoiler: And here's my feedback.
Thanks for the sweet TC! And i have a question. Is MAP07, Makai Tensho based on The End of Evangelion? The Intermission mentions "Kimochi Warui". And it and the Name of the Map is in Japanese even!
DBP maps are monthly maps made by the Doomer Boards people. This is unlikely to be reworked as they make something new each month with a different theme, test it to make sure nothing is severely broken and then move on to the next map. This mapset was completed ~2 months ago. They have released another one since then and are currently working on their 15th. You can find the completed mapsets on idgames by searching for DBP. Most of them are well done, tough-but-enjoyable mapsets with generally around 6-9 maps per release.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I didn't know that... Thanks for the info. But then again, i would like to get some reply from DBP right here!
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Thanks for the comments and feedback Captain!

A number of your comments make me think I should explain the compatibility a bit more. Like the rest of the DBP series, this is a limit-removing project, so it's near-vanilla Doom compatibility (just minus the visplane limit and a few other annoying restrictions of the original exe) and will play in basically everything down to Crispy Doom. Consequently, jumping and crouching are not supported, and the wiggle room to introduce new features is very limited (basically DeHackEd and vanilla mapping tricks, no DECORATE, scripting, or even Boom actions). Each DBP project basically has a month of development time, so sometime we sneak in extra bells and whistles for more advanced ports, but the focus is getting the project running in Crispy/PrB+ -cl2, with support beyond that a bonus (since most other source ports are theoretically supposed to be able to run vanilla format maps). This can mean projects are sometimes a little rough around the edges, but we think that adds a little bit of charm, plus it keeps the momentum going. Anyway, my philosophy is that Doom isn't great because it's perfect, but because it's fun :)

A couple of other points:
-- You did indeed spot a reference to Evangelion :) The reference wasn't the specific mapper's idea, but I thought it was a fun way to lead into the tonal shift that you get with that map.
-- With the shotgunner, sorry to say it's just you! :P That's just a simple reskin, no behavior changes. I do find it interesting that visual changes sometimes do affect how one perceives the monster to act, though. I've actually gotten several "I like/hate how you changed how this behaves" comments about... things that were only changed visually, hehe.
-- Yep, no Spider Mastermind... this time... We've never done a sequel to a DBP, but there's always a chance... someday... :)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I see and i see... Thanks so much for the detailed and clear reply. It's very impressive that it follows the original and classic vanilla doom and stuff. Nice job!
BoJustBo

Post by BoJustBo »

On map six, how do you get out of the room with the hostages to the right? Couldn't find a way to open the cage, I eventually got two of the bars to open just by spamming the E key all over which luckily was enough.
Also sometimes the door to that room locks behind you and just doesn't open, sometimes it stays open, perhaps because of corpses blocking it?
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

BoJustBo wrote:On map six, how do you get out of the room with the hostages to the right? Couldn't find a way to open the cage, I eventually got two of the bars to open just by spamming the E key all over which luckily was enough.
The bars are actually shootable, a bit of a quirky decision on the map author's part tbh (although it's ultimately on me for leaving it in, heh). As far as the door, corpses shouldn't block it, but I guess there's a chance a live monster could? Good to note the issue.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”