Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Important update at p.17, follow me on https://twitter.com/Batandy_ for project updates

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Demo 1 OUT!

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

The tutorial music is from Kirby Superstar, King Caco Invasion and Boss Theme is from Super Mario Sunshine and I'm pretty sure the rest (Limbotropolis and Windmill Acres with the mission start jingle) being original compositions by Wauterboi.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:The tutorial music is from Kirby Superstar, King Caco Invasion and Boss Theme is from Super Mario Sunshine and I'm pretty sure the rest (Limbotropolis and Windmill Acres with the mission start jingle) being original compositions by Wauterboi.
Alright, in that case if batandy gives me the OK then i'll just post the wauterboi ones. Seeing as how i'm not compiling a full soundtrack that the final release would use, there's no point in posting music that wasn't originally composed for GS3 as that would just cause confusion.
siealex

Post by siealex »

One question on music. Is SWROPES (Pretty Petals Peak) from GS2 original or from another game?

Post by 0.1 »

Windmill Acres is Knotty Knotty Windmill from Yoshi's wooly world
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Tartlman wrote:
QuakedoomNukem Cz wrote:The tutorial music is from Kirby Superstar, King Caco Invasion and Boss Theme is from Super Mario Sunshine and I'm pretty sure the rest (Limbotropolis and Windmill Acres with the mission start jingle) being original compositions by Wauterboi.
Alright, in that case if batandy gives me the OK then i'll just post the wauterboi ones. Seeing as how i'm not compiling a full soundtrack that the final release would use, there's no point in posting music that wasn't originally composed for GS3 as that would just cause confusion.
I'm ok with it, but baiscally 70% of what you hear in the demo is probably not gonna be in the game. Plenty of music used is basically just a placeholder 'till wauterboi (and possibly also Primeval) complete their custom compositions.
Hub, Menu music, Intro music, various fanfares are all gonna be replaced. I might basically only keep the music you hear in the levels, that unless Primeval helps me with custom level music. I'm not saying it's certain because they've all got their own things to worry about, given that this is a free project and it's something they do in their free time, but yeah
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Here's a bunch of screens of the indoor areas of Serenity Shrine!

It's pretty plain so far, but i'm planning to add way more props (and also flesh out the geometry), stay tuned.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Definitely loving that caco drawing! XD
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

BEAU-TI-FUL!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

More drawings!
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Hey dat's-a pretty gud!
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

Interesting! do I need to play the previous 2 Golden Souls to understand this one? (story-wise or gameplay-wise...etc)
Gez

Post by Gez »

LOZ_98 wrote:Interesting! do I need to play the previous 2 Golden Souls to understand this one? (story-wise or gameplay-wise...etc)
No; you need to play them because they're great. :wink:

Golden Souls 2 is my favorite because it's all around more polished. Better balance between enemies and weapons, more impressive levels, better jumping. Golden Souls 1 was less ambitious, deviated less from the Doom formula, and the enemies are kinda bullet spongy so I ended up making my own edited copy where weapon damage was boosted by 10-to-25% to make combat faster-paced and more fun. But at the same time, being less ambitious can also be an asset, the mod is shorter to play through (GS2 is huge, and completing it will take several days).

The basic premise of the series is merging the gameplay and the stylings of Doom and Super Mario, so you get to do a lot of platforming in a world that is simultaneously cutesy and sinister. The plot isn't going to be confusing because that's not the point of the game. Basically you're going to have to collect coins and "Golden Souls" because they're the McGuffin that can do bad stuff if you let the demons keep them. To do so, you'll have to explore various worlds that you can reach from a central hub map. The more worlds you explore, the more souls you retrieve, the more the hub opens up giving you access to even more worlds. You can revisit the worlds you've already explored to make sure you haven't forgotten any sort of important collectable on them, so you don't need to 100% a world when you first enter it; in fact sometimes it's impossible and there are things that you'll only be able to reach after having first gotten some other things in a different, later world.
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by LOZ_98 »

Sounds great. I was planning to play the previous ones too at some point, just wasn't sure if the order I play them in matters :mrgreen:
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

LOZ_98 wrote:Sounds great. I was planning to play the previous ones too at some point, just wasn't sure if the order I play them in matters :mrgreen:
You can play them in any order you like, there is a story that's loosely connected and you'll enjoy the references better by playing GS1 first, but in the end it doesn't really matter that much.
GS3 will pick up the story after GS2 in a similiar way, with the premise that Doomguy saved the world.
(I'd recommend playing through GS1 first though just because it's a bit rougher compared to GS2, so you can see the "evolution" of it).
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

LOZ_98 wrote:Sounds great. I was planning to play the previous ones too at some point, just wasn't sure if the order I play them in matters :mrgreen:
GS1 is very short compared to GS2. I finished it in about 2-3 hours, while GS2 took me about 12. You only see GS2-length maps near the end. So i'd recommend GS2 first, as you can dust off GS1 in a day.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”