Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Important update at p.17, follow me on https://twitter.com/Batandy_ for project updates

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Doom: The Golden Souls 3 - Demo 1 OUT!

Post by kadu522 »

Hello Ba(r)tandy! time for me to give my opinion on the demo you released!

I almost 100% it (missed 1 big coin and i did not find the secret? map) and here is my takeaway:

- Really good and replayable level

i find this good in 2 ways.

1. The level being this replayble really helps to give a lot more value to a individual map, just like how secrets,paths and special exits gave more replayability to doom maps and mario levels.

While the door to the central ihland and thus the first golden soul should be made a bit more clear (even if i eventualy deduced it myself thinking i was over-complicateing things thanks to the adition of the long jump and wall jump) its really well designed overal.

2. at least you don't have to 80+ plus levels like last time right?! :D

- Interesting looking HUB area

The hub you are makeing to this mod is giveing me a lot of "Super mario sunshine" vibes. and that is really good, i can't wait to see how you will expand on it.

- Much cleaner HUD

This HUD is use if a lot more cleaner then the one in GS2 however i would like that you had a space that showed what the current "Ready" item is. even if its just a mini-varient of the same item to save screen space.

- Way to much ammo to spare

This is most likey since i'm able to uppercut all the things except caco's so i was able to stay with max ammo for most of the adventure. at least until the boss where i used some of the shotgun ammo i stored up all that time.

this can be fixed in 2 ways in my opinion.

1. makeing ammo less abundant so that buying ammo is more inportant as i'm already hoarding coins with just the normal runs on the map
2. or haveing harder enemys (And that is most likely the case)

- No instant death pits

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS NO MORE PTPD (Post Traumatic Pit Disorder)

And that is all i have to say for demo 1. cheer's and happy deving! :3:
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Actualy another note i noticed after talking on discord.

I find it weird that you have to Trigger the red coin chalange mission in the options. as the coin's could perfectly exist and not affect other item or monster/enemy placement's.

Unlike the boss misson that does change the fact that there are only caco's outside.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Batandy wrote:I'm really sorry, I don't want to be rude but I don't really work with older builds and especially Gzdoom forks, to be quite honest it's already a miracle that it runs there in software.
Try to disable checkpoint saves (Options > Golden Souls 3 Options) and see if something changes.
Hey, don't worry, i'll be just fine replaying Golden Souls 1 and 2. They are so great that i don't mind playing them again and i guess i can just wait until i get the chance to play GS3 properly (Not likely to be any time soon but one day i know it will happen).

I tried that just now and it didn't work, no big deal anyways.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

It took kinda long to play the demo, but i eventually did it. Again and again, you really have done a great job making this demo of Golden Souls 3. Like everyone said, the HUD looks much cleaner, has fancy and smooth bobbing effect for the first person sprite, and the player movement. It undoubtedly makes the platforming on doom less awkward, reasonable and just great. I really like the level selection screen. Now i can collect Golden Souls like a treasure hunter i am!... Although Big Coins were the hardest to find, though. Heh. Anyway i thank you for taking some of my suggestions and import them to the Game. Like Crouch-Jump Delay and Hefty Ammo Spawns! This means a lot for me, and made the Gameplay better and fun for everyone. No Death-Pits, No Insta-Kill Rockets... It's all fair now, thanks to you!
Spoiler: Now it's time for my Suggestion and Feedback
And that's about it. Looking forward to the next update. It's so promising!

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot to mention one thing. Yeah, the first map besides the cave and the castle area sadly lags even on my brand new Computer. It's not really expensive or anything, but i expected the better framerate.
Last edited by Captain J on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i've been giving GS1 and GS2 a runthrough for the past week to prepare myself for this demo.

i'm really enjoying how refined the mechanics are in the demo so far. the jumping mechanics being expanded on is great, and it makes the platforming a bit less nerve-wracking, especially with the introduction of pits not being instant death on standard difficulty. the long jump is a bit hard to pull off for me, but it's probably because i have vsync on.

i also like how useful the guns are so far. the fist seems more reliable to use with its charged alt (although perhaps the primary could do slightly more damage?), the raygun is a natural evolution of GS2's pistol, and the shotgun has just the right power and accuracy to be useful.
however, i noticed an inconsistency with the shotgun's reloading. some times, it reloads automatically after having fired both barrels, and other times it requires a manual press for it to reload. this kind of inconsistency could be pretty annoying when it makes you reload in the middle of a fight without you wanting to do so.

the sound design is nice and punchy, especially regarding the weapon sounds. i noticed that the shotgun uses the same sound for both the primary and alt-fire though. i guess that's going to be changed?
i really like the music choices too, and that there are selections from later Mario games like there were in GS1. is it just going to be music of this kind, or are some chiptunes gonna appear too?

overall, the execution of the demo is pretty solid, and i'm definitely excited to see how the rest of it turns out. :)
Mr Masker

Post by Mr Masker »

I played this demo once this post is sort of a review rather than a reply but it fits (btw I understand this is a demo so yeah anyway)

Its back to its roots of GS 1 with more Mario 64 like levels rather than the 80 or so theme grouped levels in GS2 which is good seeing as I 100% GS1 but got bored of GS2 after a back to back start. Not only that but it expands on it with multiple souls in one level providing more (to quote another person on here) "value" to the levels

The brand new movement is a great fit to the platforming theme of GS you can long jump which is already a fun thing to do in Mario games so having it here is great too, you can climb which brings lets you have more freedom jumping and climbing everywhere that you can stand on. Oh yeah you can also wall jump which while alright needs a bit of work cause it doesn't feel right to me as of this demo maybe a bit of a slowdown when you hit a wall mid air could work (or i just haven't git gud at it yet idk)

The objectives aka Golden Souls in this first levels were okay. Maybe the theme of sky grass doesn't have much for objectives. but some levels feel a bit short like the cave one, the grassy tower one. and my least favourite is the slayer coins one which is interesting seeing as i dont remember having that much problems with them before but they weren't that fun looking for compared to the jumping and exploring of other levels maybe there should be some sort of clues in some interesting way to find them rather than just running around in circles cause that kinda disinterested me from replaying it . also the first part of the final level gets a bit annoying when you're out of shotgun shells and are just pistoling them for a while, but that could just be a first time playing thing but the second part felt like a true castle level like the 1st and 2nd game which was great except for the lack of a boss health meter even if i just used the Top Health Bars mod to fix it

Well that got a bit negative near the end but this demo was GREAT and i cant wait for what is to come! I cant do ratings out of 10 or 5 so just GREAT out of idk YAY
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Regarding the Red Coins, don't worry, changes are already on the way in the non-demo build:
Red coins will now display their general location on the automap! Once you pick up a coin, the icon will disappear, leaving only the icons from the remaining coins!
carlosartstudios

Post by carlosartstudios »

You made a instant classic saga. Golden souls it's already a trilogy, Awesome!!! One of the best mods played!!!
Mr Masker

Post by Mr Masker »

wow cheers for that will you add that for the demo or just the final game

EDIT:Bit off topic but why did someones later on reply go before mine ZDoom BRUH
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Dynamic ammo spawns
Depending on your current loadout, new ammo types will spawn on the maps for weapons you picked up in other levels. So if you grab the Assault Rifle in level 2 and go complete Level 1's missions, you'll find ammo pickups for that weapon as well!
And yes, this is the new Assault Rifle!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Not sure if it's okay to make new suggestions, but are those star scribbles on them ammo glows in the dark? You know, as in brightmap?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Captain J wrote:Not sure if it's okay to make new suggestions, but are those star scribbles on them ammo glows in the dark? You know, as in brightmap?
The sight glows in the dark!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

I already know about the sights! I mean the ammo pickups, shown in the screenshot you just posted. It's just a suggestion, though. But this might be very helpful when you have to look for ammo in dark places.
siealex

Post by siealex »

Is it supposed to walljump off fir-trees to get one of the big coins?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Captain J wrote:I already know about the sights! I mean the ammo pickups, shown in the screenshot you just posted. It's just a suggestion, though. But this might be very helpful when you have to look for ammo in dark places.
I'm planning to test some particles on the pickups soon enough, they should make the ammo more visible.
siealex wrote:Is it supposed to walljump off fir-trees to get one of the big coins?
Yeah.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”