[Released] Mr. Smiley's Head Safari Remastered

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [Released] Mr. Smiley's Head Safari Remastered

Post by fakemai »

CvH9000 wrote:Yes I've changed it back to a normal rocket launcher, since the shoulder mounted one broke widescreen support.
Makes sense. The status indicators are a cool touch too.
CvH9000 wrote:I thought the sprites originated from Mr. Smiley itself, So that's probably why.
My impression, at least from the Icarus video, is that the original was a grab-bag of existing mods and maps Frankenstein'd together, so there's likely a lot more such credits to add. I don't blame you for not knowing every old mod/map though, I just happen to have played Chook Doom back in the day. There's also Barney Doom which is likely where Barney the Dinosaur came from, I know there's a Pac-man sprite mod from that period. I believe Icarus mentioned a couple of sources in his review, and idgames and others can probably fill in other holes. This is obviously dependent though how much you actually used from the original.

Somewhat related to credits, check your PM box. Wasn't kidding about being good at finding things...

EDIT: This is the source of the Pac-Man sprites. I tried to find the Barney the Dinosaur ones too but it turns out there's a few from that timeframe and I didn't find the one with those sprites unless you updated them.
sergeirocks100
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by sergeirocks100 »

i apologize for bumping this ancient thread, but i want to state some issues i found:
all of the dialogue lumps call SCRIPT00, which seems to be nonexistent
not really an issue, but the mod isn't entirely UDMF, as E3M7 is doom format
on another note, i did find some dummied out content within the WAD, which i'm willing to talk about if asked
sergeirocks100
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by sergeirocks100 »

i will go ahead and state what i found:
most notably, there's sprites and sounds in the WAD for, to keep it somewhat clean, explicit acts
there's also some dummied out characters, including a smiley Ricardo, a beaver, and Ernie
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Bit late response, but most/all of that unused stuff isn't. Check the secret maps, mostly the super-secret E6M9 (har har).
Spoiler: Secret Map Locations
Also the most explicit thing is 2 of the posters in E2M4, you just can't really see it at that resolution. Besides that probably the smiley bathhouse billboard in E1M9 but the rest is no worse than Duke 3D.
CvH9000

Post by CvH9000 »

First of all, Sorry I haven't really been active lately. Been alot of personal stuff going on, mostly regarding the whole Covid pandemic.
Second, Thanks for all the feedback I've recieved regarding this mod! I never expected it to reach around 1800 downloads when I've uploaded this!
I'll try my best to release a better and more serious mod around 2021.

Regarding the explicit stuff in the mod, I've tried censoring most of it before uploading it here. I really hope I didn't accidentely broke some rules of this forum.
If I did, then I'll do my best to remove or replace the rule breaking stuff and reupload it!
I'm genuinly sorry if I did break some rules though. Most of the more explicit stuff in this mod was meant as a nod towards Duke Nukem 3D and it's not meant to be taken serious. Once again, sorry if I broke the rules.
And also, some of the supposed unused stuff is hidden behind walls in certain levels, like the Ernie, or the Beaver. I like hiding stuff in unreachable places, kinda like how Levellord hid his signature in certain Duke Nukem 3D maps.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”