[ECWolf] Nitemare: Hugo's Revenge - a new TC for ECWolf

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AstroCreep

[ECWolf] Nitemare: Hugo's Revenge - a new TC for ECWolf

Post by AstroCreep »

This is a new TC for Wolfenstein 3D, using the latest dev version of ECWolf (click here to download), using resources from Nitemare 3D by David P. Grey. This also features 10 all new levels (9 regular and 1 secret), utilizing some of ECWolf's exclusive features, such as
new weapons, new and interesting enemies, switch activated doors, ROTT-style elevator/teleporters, map sizes over 64x64, breakable scenery and walls and
much more!

THE STORY

The evil Dr. Hammerstein has once again kidnapped your sweet Penelope! This time, he's taking no chances with you and barricades himself in an even more dangerous and haunted mansion. You must travel through graveyards, a haunted house, underground catacombs, and even alternate dimensions to get back Penelope! Can Hugo once again defeat the evil Doctor and rescue the damsel in distress? Or is he gonna be Frankenstein-chow?????
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: TIPS
Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS
DOWNLOAD
HQ OGG Music (load after mod pk3)
ModDB Page
MetroidJunkie

Re: [ECWolf] Nitemare: Hugo's Revenge - a new TC for ECWolf

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Error: expected 'Integer Constant' but got 'String Constant' instead. Causes it to crash.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Error: expected 'Integer Constant' but got 'String Constant' instead. Causes it to crash.
It didn't happen to me. What devbuild are you using and on which map did it crash?
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Error: expected 'Integer Constant' but got 'String Constant' instead. Causes it to crash.
Yup. You have the official version. Download the one from the page linked in the first post. Honestly the official version shouldn’t even be used anymore, it is so out of date and lacks most features that I use in my mods.

By the way, where did you find those Mook sprites? Every copy of nitemare I’ve cracked has some shit that looks like it’s from that old Rudolph the rednosed reindeer claymation movie
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I would love to play this because I am a big fan of the Nightmare 3D and Hugo text adventure games. Sadly I have no clue how to use ECWolf even after spending all day looking up and down the internet for a how to guide. :(
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

First download the dev version linked in the first post. Then buy Wolf3D and dump the files into the same folder as ecwolf. Download this mod, and put it in the same directory. Then, either drag and drop nitemare.pk3 onto ecwolf.exe or run from command line : c:/whatever/ecwolf.exe -file nitemare.pk3. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Make sure you get the dev version! The version on the ecwolf page is severely outdated
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

AstroCreep wrote:By the way, where did you find those Mook sprites? Every copy of nitemare I’ve cracked has some shit that looks like it’s from that old Rudolph the rednosed reindeer claymation movie
It's the MSDOS version, the Windows version is probably the one you're using. I guess Dave thought it looked better but it just has less charm.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Well oddly my version of the dos version has those weirdo sprites too. As does every version I’ve found. I couldn’t even get the graphics from the windows version they all had palette issues
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

AstroCreep wrote:Well oddly my version of the dos version has those weirdo sprites too. As does every version I’ve found. I couldn’t even get the graphics from the windows version they all had palette issues
Somewhere along the line, David Grey changed most of the graphics - enemy sprites, the player portrait, and a few other things. If you want the old sprites, you will need to track down an older version of Nitemare 3D, as all the versions on his website use the new ones.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Lol apparently most main websites have the newer version. Oh well. The only ones that I’d really like to change are the Frankenstein and mummy sprites.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

Nitemare 3-D was one of those games I tried to be forgiving of, because it was essentially made by a team of two or three people, but the level designs are just plain shit. There's no two ways about that.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Not to worry lmfao. These levels are huge and difficult lol.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I've been brainstorming a bit, and I was thinking about possibly adding a 2nd episode to Nitemare. However I think it would be totally awesome if this was a community-driven effort, so I have uploaded a mapping pack, containing the base pk3 for nitemare, the original modified GAMEMAPS file and a WDC map def. Planning for ten maps, but if more than that come (which I am not expecting, but stranger things have happened!) then there is the possibility of making it longer. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy maps you guys can come up with :D

INSTRUCTIONS

This will require WDC, as I do not have any chaosedit defs made, and chaosedit does not export to a format usable by
ECWolf. If in the future someone does make a ChaosEdit def, you can create levels in ChaosEdit, but they do need
to be imported by HWE or WDC and exported to WDC format (or directly to WAD using WDC,wl6map.txt is included which
is necessary to save to wad)

To use this, you will need a copy of the original DOS Wolf3D. Make a copy and name the folder whatever you wish.
Then replace the GAMEMAPS.WL6 and MAPHEAD.WL6 files with the copies included here, which contain the original
levels from Nitemare: Hugo's Revenge. Set your Base Data folder to the folder that contains your copy of Wolf3D
with the Nitemare GAMEMAPS files. Set your Map Data file to the file named NitemareEC.wmc. You can make the output
folder whatever you wish. You will need to set MAXPLANES to 4 in Project Information (Plane 3 is unused since I used colors instead of flats, however plane 4 is required to control switches and triggers).

No other base Wolf3D files were edited, all actors and textures and such are contained within nitemare.pk3, as are
the original maps. The only reason these are required are because no Wolf editor can directly read WAD at the
present moment, it can read the file WITHIN the wad but it cannot open the wad.

To test your new map, you can either load your modified GAMEMAPS and MAPHEAD files after nitemare.pk3 (be sure
to edit your mapinfo so you can visit your new level! otherwise you will need to overwrite one of the other
defined levels.) or export to WAD and load your WAD file after nitemare.pk3.

To create a WAD by hand, you will need SLADE3. First export your map into WDC format, name it PLANES.map. Then,
in SLADE3, create a new wad archive, create a blank file named MAPXX (or whatever) and then simply import PLANES.map
and save. Maps must be contained in a wad file within the folder named "maps" in your pk3.

If you come up with any cool maps and would like them included in the tentative 2nd episode, please send me a PM with either the map in WDC format, or contained in a WAD if you prefer.

For some mapping tutorials pertaining to ECWolf specific features, refer to my PDF Tutorials located HERE on Wolfsource (wolf3d.net)

DOWNLOAD NITEMARE MAPPING PACK

If you would rather use HWE, Dunkelschwamm has put together a def for HWE. Simply download this file as well, back up your copy of HWE and replace the WL6 folder with the one included

NITEMARE HWE DEFS

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”