Fury's Sky - GZDoom Flight Arcade Game (WIP) (Demo/Alpha)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Fury's Sky - GZDoom Flight Arcade Game (WIP) (Demo/Alpha)

Post by JohnnyBGetgoode »

1000 years have passed since the time of the Hero, Sir Levin. Wielding a mysterious energy, and advanced flying machines capable of utilizing it, Levin's forces quashed the warring Nations of Old, and brought peace to the new World-Nation. But it was not to last. As time passed, the Nations of Old resurfaced, bearing the energy that been used against them in ages past. They shattered the territory of the World-Nation into pieces, carving swathes of the land for themselves. However, they did not do this on their own. Fearing the coming of a second Hero, the Nations turned to mercenaries to act on their behalf and carry the pretense of global peace.

One such mercenary company was the Yellow Jackets. Acting as the regional army and air force for the great Kingdom of Liefton, the Yellow Jackets bore a code of honor atypical of the cutthroat bands typically employed by sovereign nations. Their commitment to virtue, and their growing influence in the region, lent themselves many enemies among rival nations and mercenaries alike.

This is their story.

Fury's Sky has been my pet project since October of 2018, when I first tried to implement a plane in GZDoom. That singular attempt would lead to something resembling a game being made, and I'm thrilled to share my progress with you all.

This game will be a standalone total conversion, meaning that it does NOT require any of the Doom or Doom Engine WADs to run. Just get GZDoom, and the IWAD for Fury's Sky, and you'll be set. The game will have a full featured single player campaign with a variety of aircraft to fly (8 are currently planned), as well as a smorgasbord of mission types. The game will also feature an upgrade system, allowing you to tweak your aircraft's stats to your heart's content.

Mechanics:

This game is a linear flight action game. You are given a mission inside a hangar, you choose your plane and weaponry, complete the mission, and then move on to the next one. The demo version linked in this thread has the first three levels, so you can get a sense of what its like.

Flying
Yaw and pitch is controlled by mouselook (though keybinds are available if that's your thing). Throttling and tilting the craft is done on the keyboard. The flight engine is designed that moving your mouse left or right and stopping will cause the plane to bank and continue going in that direction. This is done to make flying and chasing targets easier. If you've played War Thunder, it's a simplified version of that type of scheme.

Airbraking
Unique to Fury's Sky is a mechanic called the Airbrake. Similar to the turret mode mechanic from Strike Vector, this ability lets you stop the plane at any speed and look around freely by holding down a key. When you release the key, the plane resumes flying. Advanced players can use this mechanic to stop, quickly change direction, and continue flying, making flight through small tunnels trivial. Additionally, airbraking generates a field that blocks projectiles, so it can be used defensively as well. Be warned, however, that holding an airbrake drains your plane's energy.

Energy and Charge
Every plane has an energy supply that they draw from to shoot, airbrake, and perform special maneuvers. Different weapons and actions will draw energy at different rates, and once energy is drawn, you must wait for a brief moment until it begins to replenish. If you have no energy, you cannot shoot or airbrake, so be careful!

Additionally, a plane can utilize charge to repair themselves mid-flight. Charge is normally acquired through pickups dropped by defeated enemies. Different enemies grant different amounts of charge. Once you have some charge, you can press a key to restore your health proportional to the amount of charge used. Holding down the key uses more charge.

Special Maneuvers
Planes can also use energy to perform incredible feats of flying prowess. There are two types of special maneuvers available. By holding the maneuver key and pressing either throttle up or throttle down, you can execute a somersault either up or down respectively. By holding the maneuver key and pressing tilt left or tilt right, you can execute a lateral roll that propels your plane sideways. These maneuvers consume small amounts of energy.

Flyable planes:

F/I-8 Enforcer
A common plane employed by both mercenaries and national armies. Uses standard, yet potent armaments.

Min Speed: 15 UPT
Max Speed: 45 UPT
Manueverability: High
Starting Hull: 120
Max Hull: 160

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Force Cannon: A moderately-damaging energy bolt with a good rate of fire
2. Corrosion Cannon: A bolt that eats away at the hull of a target on impact. Slow rate of fire.
3. Hounding Cannon: A slow-moving a round that circles the target it hits. Can bounce between targets as well.
Secondary Weapon Options:
1. Force Missile: A homing missile with good tracking and damage. Requires a lock to fire.
2. Blast Missile: A homing missile that explodes on impact. Requires a lock.
3. Splinter Missile: Fires a volley of three missiles that spread out and encircle a target. Does heavy damage if all the missiles connect.

A/B-37 Condor
A large fighter and close air support platform brimming with firepower. Tough to take down.

Min Speed: 12 UPT
Max Speed: 36 UPT
Manueverability: Poor
Starting Hull: 180
Max Hull: 235

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Scatter Pulse: Fires a buckshot spread of energy bolts. Less effective at range.
2. Spread Pulse: Fires a spread of energy bolts in a set pattern.
3. Backdraft Pulse: Fires a single shot that releases small homing shards away from the direction of travel upon impact.
1. Force Bolt: A cannon that rapidly fires projectiles. Less effective at range.
2. Flak Shell: A round that creates an explosion after a set flight time. The blast can hit multiple targets.
3. Displacement Shot: A large, heavily-damaging projectile that pushes any incoming rounds away.

F/A-22 Gungnir
An exotic, powerful fighter specializing in homing weaponry

Min Speed: 14 UPT
Max Speed: 42 UPT
Manueverability: Average
Starting Hull: 150
Max Hull: 190

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Trident Missile: A volley of three missiles launched towards a locked target. Can be dumb-fired.
2. Comet Missile: A slow homing missile that spreads smaller homing shards as it travels. Can be dumb-fired.
3. Blast Missile: A homing missile that created a radial explosion on impact. Can be dumb-fired.
1. Heavy Torpedo: An extremely powerful missile that destroys all but the beefiest targets. Requires a lock to fire.
2. Remote Torpedo: An unguided missile that explodes violently. Holding down the fire button prevents the missile from exploding and increases travel time.
3. Trident Missile: A volley of three missiles launched towards a locked target. Can be dumb-fired.

I-54 Locust
An interceptor favored by elite pilot squadrons. Very fast, but with very poor maneuverability.

Min Speed: 20 UPT
Max Speed: 60 UPT
Starting Hull: 140
Max Hull: 180

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Accelerating Shot: Fires a spread of fast projectiles over a long distance. The speed and number of projectiles are increased when moving at high speeds.
2. Rending Orbiter: Two energy spheres are deployed around the craft. Enemy planes that make contact will be damaged, and the Locust's hull will be repaired on contact as well.
3. Destruction Pulse: Emits a short-range shock wave. More likely to destroy an enemy craft the closer the Locust is before triggering.
1. Proximity Mine: An immobile energy sphere that explodes when an enemy flies near it.
2. Accelerating Shot: Fires a spread of fast projectiles over a long distance. The speed and number of projectiles are increased when moving at high speeds.
3. Tractor Beam: A medium range pulse that pulls enemies closer to the Locust, allowing for close range strikes.

F-63 Scarab
A small, yet capable dogfighter utilizing a powerful laser beam.

Max Speed: 40 UPT
Starting Hull: 130
Max Hull: 170

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Laser Beam: Fires a continuous stream of energy. Highly damaging, but drains energy very fast.
1. Absorption Beam: Fires a short linear pulse that replenishes Energy to full when it hits a target.
2. Absorption Pulse: Emits a radial strike that replenishes Energy. Most effective when multiple enemies are near you.
3. Redirection: Spends a small amount of Charge to maximize Energy for 3 seconds.

X-101 Hatchet
A fast, nimble craft with a powerful short-range attack. Requires the best of its pilots.

Max Speed: 50 (75) UPT
Manueverability: High
Starting Hull: 130
Max Hull: 185

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Charge: Accelerates the plane to 1.5x max speed. Any enemies in the way will be damaged during this time. Hitting enemies will also grant Charge and health, as well as a 2-second invulnerability window.
1. Lotus Strike: 8 homing missiles are emitted from all sides of the plane. Consumes Charge to use.
2. Judgment Ray: Fires a potent burst of energy over a long distance using stored Charge. Hold down the button to use more Charge and power up the beam.
3. Immolation Peal: Releases an immobile energy sphere that discharges at nearby enemies. Hold down the fire button to increase the time it lingers using Charge.

X/A-86 Gemini
A large, potent fighter featuring a never-before-seen turret drone.

Min Speed: 12 UPT
Max Speed: 36 UPT
Starting Hull: 180
Max Hull: 220

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Force Cannon: A moderately-damaging energy bolt with a good rate of fire
2. Scatter Pulse: Fires a buckshot spread of energy bolts. Less effective at range.
3. Blast Bullet: A high velocity round that explodes on impact.
1. Detach: Releases the turret from the main craft. The turret will hover in place and shoot at enemies. It can be retrieved by flying close to it. It may use any of the Gemini's primary weapon options, and can even use a different weapon than the Gemini.

X/F-19 Vesper
An experimental fighter equipped with a revolutionary space distortion module, allowing it to evade attacks.

Max Speed: 40 UPT
Starting Hull: 140
Max Hull: 180

Primary Weapon Options:
1. Force Cannon: A moderately-damaging energy bolt with a good rate of fire.
2. Scatter Pulse: Fires a buckshot spread of energy bolts. Less effective at range.
3. Mini Flak Shell: A round that creates an explosion after a set flight time. The blast can hit multiple targets.
1. Warp Counter: Become invincible for 1 second. If attacked during this period, the plane teleports behind the attacker.
2. Barrage Counter: Become invincible for 1 second. If attacked during this period, homing missiles are launched out the front.
3. Rearm Counter: Become invincible for 1 second. If attacked during this period, the Vesper gains health and charge.

DOWNLOAD HERE (changelog at link):
https://proudcipher.com/furys-sky

Known issues:
-HUD appears to be too small on 1080p+ displays (scaling needs to be tweaked in settings)

How to run:
Grab the latest GZDoom from the main zdoom.org page.
Stick the IWAD in the same directory as GZDoom.
Run GZDoom.
Select "FURYSKY" from the available IWADS.
Profit.

How not to run:
Drag it on top of the gzdoom.exe. No seriously, don't do that. It will fail to run and errors will appear saying the IWAD ran twice. DON'T DO IT.
Last edited by JohnnyBGetgoode on Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:21 am, edited 30 times in total.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Fury's Sky - GZDoom Flight Arcade Game (WIP)

Post by JadedLexi »

This looks pretty neat (and I like the song choice)
ReX

Post by ReX »

That is quite something you've got going there, and it must have taken quite a bit of clever coding. A couple of observations, none of which are criticisms, as I am making them entirely in the context of your video demo (and not based on a play-through):

1. The air-speed of the player's aircraft seems lower than that of the enemy craft. This is somewhat counter-intuitive, as DooM Guy is typically significantly faster than most DooM enemies.
2. The player's aircraft seems somewhat sluggish and not very maneuverable. Again, this is somewhat inconsistent with the way DooM Guy can move.

These points might become moot once the player enters an actual game.

I wish you best wishes on your project, which looks promising.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Thanks for the best wishes, ReX! It did take quite a bit of clever coding. But I do have to address your observations, as I feel they need clarification.
ReX wrote:
1. The air-speed of the player's aircraft seems lower than that of the enemy craft. This is somewhat counter-intuitive, as DooM Guy is typically significantly faster than most DooM enemies.
2. The player's aircraft seems somewhat sluggish and not very maneuverable. Again, this is somewhat inconsistent with the way DooM Guy can move.
The player can either be slower or faster than the other aircraft depending on the throttle setting. The enemy aircraft, with some exceptions, move at a fixed speed. whereas the player has a range of speeds they can go. For example, the Enforcer, which is the starting plane for the player, can go anywhere from 15 to 45 units a tic. The enemy version of that same plane moves at a constant 30, unless if certain exceptions are met.

As for maneuverability, it varies with the plane.However, every plane, by default, has worse yaw value than pitch. However, there are ways to improve maneuverability. Tilting the plane sideways with the sidemove command increases yaw rate. There is also a quick-180 maneuver that the player can execute by pressing Run and either strafe direction. Additionally, executing an airbrake removes all scalar values on the plane, enabling 1:1 control with the mouse.

I didn't really explain these mechanics in detail (or even at all), so I understand the confusion.

Anyways, thanks!
Scubbo

Post by Scubbo »

cool reminds me of airquake :wub:
Hgluzowski

Post by Hgluzowski »

Yo buddy, still alive ?

I mean, finally, after many years, we have something in style of AirQuake (or maybe I need to say: AirDoom ?) !

Really dude, don't stop making progress on it, because it's very promising.
Deybar_TECH
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

nothing bad....

You're about to take off first.

good luck. :)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Loving the Terminal Velocity style gameplay.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Update on the project. I'm looking for artists (sprite and 3D), musicians, and sound engineers to help with this project. I've been working by myself on this ever since I've started, but I'm finding out that I can only do so much on my own. Therefore, I'm going to need to bring some helpers on. I need help with the following:

Sound Effects
Music
Textures
Skins for models
Possibly updated models.
Special Effects (plane exhaust, explosions, projectiles, that sort of thing).
HUD and Menu Graphics

If you're interested in ANY of these areas, please send me a PM with some samples of your work, in any form of your choosing. I'd like to see this completed, but I doubt I can finish this on my own.

Thanks!
Deybar_TECH
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Deybar_TECH »

I CAN LEAVE MY OLD MODEL OF (ADF-01) THAT IS IN THE FORMAT (BLENDER)

ANYWAY. I DO NOT WANT TO USE MORE THINGS OF (ACE COMBAT) 8-)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dc3zx3ztd ... A.zip/file
JohnnyBGetgoode

Heads up; I've made a Facebook page for the game. I'm gonna be using to post little tidbits on development, so I won't be as active here.https://www.facebook.com/FurySkyGame

I will say that I'm working on a new feature for the game, though. Each plane will get alternate Primary and Secondary fire modes that can be swapped out between missions. Most planes will have 3 of each.

Also, I'm still looking for staff. :P
JohnnyBGetgoode

Re: Fury's Sky - GZDoom Flight Arcade Game (WIP) (Demo/Alpha

Alright, so here's the deal. I'm having trouble rustling up help to polish this thing's visuals/sound, so I'm releasing what I've got so far to help generate interest. The download link and instructions are in the top post. Go nuts and tell me what you think. :P
Hgluzowski

Post by Hgluzowski »

@JohnnyBGetgoode

Well, I played demo of this mod and I'm really excited for full release.

However, my personal thoughts are, that hell, everythink will suit this style of gameplay (with slight changes). Crimson Skies mod ? Sure. Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces ? Yes, of course. I don't even mention AC and AC-like games because they are just hella obvious choice at this point.
JohnnyBGetgoode

@Hgluzowski

Glad you like it!

Yeah, I could think of quite a few IPs that would fit this style of play. Star Fox is one that gets brought up a lot whenever I show this. However, I'll leave that type of stuff up to clever modders. I wanna see what I can do with an original IP, myself.
JohnnyBGetgoode

Still chugging along with this. I now have a tutorial level set up. Check it out!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”