Decadence

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Postby alekksandar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Gez wrote:I instantly recognized those drums in the titlemap music. :wink:

Yep! :D Though the midi version sounds a lot less intense, and a lot more... morose.

Amuscaria wrote:Loving the art style.

Thanks!

Also - Another update to fix an oopsie:

- Last wave in Arena 1 shouldn't lag anymore because some of the projectiles now actually disappear. They weren't disappearing because the frame length was -1.
- Added a Sword,
- Added a Golden Staff
- In arena 2, you now spawn with a sword, and you get a gold staff later on.
- nails may now ricochet off walls sometimes
- melee weapons make sound when you hit an enemy
User avatar
alekksandar
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Operating System: Windows XP/2003

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Postby galvahad » Tue May 14, 2019 11:06 am

Great demo thus far.

Just a few thoughts:
A lot of the nail weapons seem inaccurate, and I think it's because the enemies need a damaged effect/sound since I can only really tell I'm hitting them if they're dead.
It's very easy to cheese the arena levels by circle-strafing and having the big guys draw aggro. That may be the intended effect but it made it a lot easier once I figured it out.
I used the default settings given by switching the user-name of the settings config to my desktop username.
The jumping puzzle murdered me, lol. If not just for the free-doom voice effect of jumping. Which is so bad after a while. I don't really have any comments except maybe don't use flying enemies and instead use walking ones, those are more predictable and don't ambush you at the last second before making a jump. The level itself also is a bit long and asks a lot for a timed event. Potion management, monsters, and pretty precise jumps. Kinda indifferent on it.
I just loved the art by the way, and the enemy/arena designs themselves

Hope to see more soon!
galvahad
 
Joined: 10 Nov 2018

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Postby alekksandar » Wed May 15, 2019 4:54 am

galvahad wrote:Great demo thus far.

Just a few thoughts:
A lot of the nail weapons seem inaccurate, and I think it's because the enemies need a damaged effect/sound since I can only really tell I'm hitting them if they're dead.
It's very easy to cheese the arena levels by circle-strafing and having the big guys draw aggro. That may be the intended effect but it made it a lot easier once I figured it out.
I used the default settings given by switching the user-name of the settings config to my desktop username.
The jumping puzzle murdered me, lol. If not just for the free-doom voice effect of jumping. Which is so bad after a while. I don't really have any comments except maybe don't use flying enemies and instead use walking ones, those are more predictable and don't ambush you at the last second before making a jump. The level itself also is a bit long and asks a lot for a timed event. Potion management, monsters, and pretty precise jumps. Kinda indifferent on it.
I just loved the art by the way, and the enemy/arena designs themselves

Hope to see more soon!


Heya! Thanks for taking time to play and review the demo! I will see how it will work out if I turn the infighting off on those maps - it will be a lot more difficult, I imagine.
I have to agree on the jumping puzzle map. The monsters were originally added to further annoy the player, but after dying a bunch of times while playtesting, I think they served their purpose a bit too well, and I think I'll indeed replace them. Agreed, the potion placement on that map is atrocious. In the end however, the jumping puzzle and the arena maps aren't my first priority, as I'm focused on creating story maps and quests.

Again, thanks for playtesting, the project is indeed still being worked on!!
User avatar
alekksandar
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Operating System: Windows XP/2003

Re: Decadence

Postby alekksandar » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:52 am

Updated, now there's 12 linear levels (spread across 3 'episodes'), 3 arena maps, and a tower map.

The 'open world' idea has been shelved due to my poor programming / scripting skills for now, but it's still possible to find vendors in some maps.

In any case, check the OP post for the download link, I hope you have fun !
User avatar
alekksandar
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Operating System: Windows XP/2003

Re: Decadence

Postby Valken » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:15 am

Beautiful game and going to play this over Christmas weekend! Congrats on the release and Merry Christmas!
Valken
 
Joined: 08 Jun 2015

Re: Decadence

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:31 pm

This feels like what Hexen should have been.

Has the non-fullscreen status bar been fixed? And what, technically, is preventing compatibility with current versions of GZDoom? (I just dragged Decadence.ipk3 into my Doom folder and the status bar thing is the only thing I've noticed that was a problem)
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Decadence

Postby alekksandar » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Matt wrote:This feels like what Hexen should have been.

Has the non-fullscreen status bar been fixed? And what, technically, is preventing compatibility with current versions of GZDoom? (I just dragged Decadence.ipk3 into my Doom folder and the status bar thing is the only thing I've noticed that was a problem)


Glad you feel that way !
Err, I remember trying it out on one of the subsequent versions and getting really awful FPS drops. Maybe whatever was causing that issue was fixed. The status bar isn't supposed to be visible - the game's supposed to be played with the screen size all the way up - - mainly because i didn't know how to make a custom HUD/statusbar, to be honest, and i couldn't find a way to permanently make it fullscreen.
User avatar
alekksandar
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Operating System: Windows XP/2003

Re: Decadence

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:33 pm

IIRC the simplest way (SBARINFO only no ZScript) is to just copypaste the fullscreen hud info into the regular statusbar and then do some size stuff to make sure the "bar" itself is as invisible as you can get it.

The second with ZScript is to make it do exactly the same thing for both situations.
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Decadence

Postby spoone » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:20 am

Apparently my computer seems to think there's a virus in this file.
spoone
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2006

Re: Decadence

Postby alekksandar » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:40 pm

spoone wrote:Apparently my computer seems to think there's a virus in this file.


Probably because of the gzdoom exe, I wouldn't know. I'm not getting any reports from windows defender.

I'll update the OP with just the iwad file, but then you'll have to keys for jumping and reloading, and such.
User avatar
alekksandar
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Operating System: Windows XP/2003

Re: Decadence

Postby Void Warrior » Tue May 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Greetings, Alekksandar! I played your project. Very beautiful, interesting, but very simple! The plot is boring to pass, which can not be said about other episodes, except for the Tower. I can see that you put a lot of work into this game. I want to ask you one thing: "Do you plan to do the second part of the story, or will this be your only project?" :geek:

By the way, cool art on your site! Are there any more drawings on other resources? :D
Void Warrior
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2021
Location: Russian Federation
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: Decadence

Postby Captain J » Mon May 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Oh man finally playing this awesome TC! I must say, i really love the art style. It's cute, immersive and totally fantastic. I really love the custom dialogue screen and food items i'm getting. They all look so delicious! So yeah, i just finished beating it. Mind if i help you with the feedback?
Spoiler: IDMYPOS is on so you can go directly at the problems i pointed out
And that's about it! This is very aesthetic and fun to play. It just needs some polish and extra episodes to conclude with. Hope my feedback helped you!
User avatar
Captain J
That's Amoreee
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: A Year old Pizza Box
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Working title)

Postby An00bus » Thu May 27, 2021 10:17 am

This looks amazing, and I have just extracted the game and am about to play! :D
alekksandar wrote:I'd have to get people to redo most sounds and music for me since most of it was borrowed from other sources.

I'd totally be willing to help you out with music! I do a few different styles, maybe check out my soundtrack demo reel on Soundcloud? I'm not incredibly experienced with sound effects, however I have made a few, including all of the ones for my own mod, so I'd be willing to give it a try if you'd like!
An00bus
 
Joined: 20 Nov 2020
Discord: An00bus#4956
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Re: Decadence

Postby hakrosinteractive » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:36 pm

Very nice, i've included it on my app.
User avatar
hakrosinteractive
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2020
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Decadence

Postby alekksandar » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 am

Captain J wrote:Oh man finally playing this awesome TC! I must say, i really love the art style. It's cute, immersive and totally fantastic. I really love the custom dialogue screen and food items i'm getting. They all look so delicious! So yeah, i just finished beating it. Mind if i help you with the feedback?
Spoiler: IDMYPOS is on so you can go directly at the problems i pointed out
And that's about it! This is very aesthetic and fun to play. It just needs some polish and extra episodes to conclude with. Hope my feedback helped you!


Oh God aaaa I didn't actually expect anyone to go this much in-depth!!!! I'm glad you liked it! The game's been sitting here forgotten for a while and I was sure nobody would ever mention it again. I was just happy to be done with the project as I've been working on it for a long time.

As for the feedback, Thanks! A lot of these are caused by my lack of coding / map / game design knowledge - the code was cobbled up haphazardly and looks atrocious. I had issues implementing the difficulty settings when the game was supposed to be open world (difficulty would reset upon traversing levels) and in the end I figured - - a game with a lot of health and ammo is more fun than otherwise.. I'm an artist first and foremost, I was learning decorate and such as I was working on this project. I lack the know-how of how to fix most of these, save for the couple of (bad) map design parts. I'll see if I can address a couple of the small issues when I have the free time. Really glad you like the look of it and the various little things!! Thanks again for going out of your way to try and help improve the project. Cheers!

Void Warrior wrote:Greetings, Alekksandar! I played your project. Very beautiful, interesting, but very simple! The plot is boring to pass, which can not be said about other episodes, except for the Tower. I can see that you put a lot of work into this game. I want to ask you one thing: "Do you plan to do the second part of the story, or will this be your only project?" :geek:

By the way, cool art on your site! Are there any more drawings on other resources? :D


Hi !!! Thanks for playing, glad you liked it!!! Sorry for the late response!

By the time I finished the story levels, I learned a little bit more about some map design tricks; therefore the story levels might be a little bit stale compared to the rest :(

I don't know if there'll be a 'sequel' anytime soon - at first I was going for an open-world experience with a hub-world and quests; that fell apart however since I know absolutely nothing about coding and scripting. I sunk a lot of my time into this project, and a lot of the content went unused. It's demoralizing. The more I worked on it, the more I realized that I don't know anything about game making. I learned as I worked on this, and unfortunately that much is obvious. I guess, to answer your question, I'd make a sequel if I had a team to work with, and that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Uh, as for my arts, I really have to update my site, I made a whole bunch of new stuff that I hadn't uploaded there yet! It's updated now. You can check out my twitter, where I post some of my 3d models and such - - twitter.com/alekksandarART . Thanks for inquiring, I appreciate it a lot !!

An00bus wrote:This looks amazing, and I have just extracted the game and am about to play! :D
alekksandar wrote:I'd have to get people to redo most sounds and music for me since most of it was borrowed from other sources.

I'd totally be willing to help you out with music! I do a few different styles, maybe check out my soundtrack demo reel on Soundcloud? I'm not incredibly experienced with sound effects, however I have made a few, including all of the ones for my own mod, so I'd be willing to give it a try if you'd like!


Thank you :D ! I really like some of that stuff there - I will keep you in mind if I start working on a new similar project like this. I'm trying to wrap this one up.

hakrosinteractive wrote:Very nice, i've included it on my app.


This launcher looks interesting! I'll have to take a look at it when I get home .
User avatar
alekksandar
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Operating System: Windows XP/2003

PreviousNext

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CyberneticPhantom and 1 guest