[WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP]Decadence (Test Beta out)

Postby alekksandar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:32 pm

Gez wrote:I instantly recognized those drums in the titlemap music. :wink:

Yep! :D Though the midi version sounds a lot less intense, and a lot more... morose.

Amuscaria wrote:Loving the art style.

Thanks!

Also - Another update to fix an oopsie:

- Last wave in Arena 1 shouldn't lag anymore because some of the projectiles now actually disappear. They weren't disappearing because the frame length was -1.
- Added a Sword,
- Added a Golden Staff
- In arena 2, you now spawn with a sword, and you get a gold staff later on.
- nails may now ricochet off walls sometimes
- melee weapons make sound when you hit an enemy
alekksandar

Postby galvahad » Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Great demo thus far.

Just a few thoughts:
A lot of the nail weapons seem inaccurate, and I think it's because the enemies need a damaged effect/sound since I can only really tell I'm hitting them if they're dead.
It's very easy to cheese the arena levels by circle-strafing and having the big guys draw aggro. That may be the intended effect but it made it a lot easier once I figured it out.
I used the default settings given by switching the user-name of the settings config to my desktop username.
The jumping puzzle murdered me, lol. If not just for the free-doom voice effect of jumping. Which is so bad after a while. I don't really have any comments except maybe don't use flying enemies and instead use walking ones, those are more predictable and don't ambush you at the last second before making a jump. The level itself also is a bit long and asks a lot for a timed event. Potion management, monsters, and pretty precise jumps. Kinda indifferent on it.
I just loved the art by the way, and the enemy/arena designs themselves

Hope to see more soon!
galvahad

Postby alekksandar » Wed May 15, 2019 5:54 am

galvahad wrote:Great demo thus far.

Just a few thoughts:
A lot of the nail weapons seem inaccurate, and I think it's because the enemies need a damaged effect/sound since I can only really tell I'm hitting them if they're dead.
It's very easy to cheese the arena levels by circle-strafing and having the big guys draw aggro. That may be the intended effect but it made it a lot easier once I figured it out.
I used the default settings given by switching the user-name of the settings config to my desktop username.
The jumping puzzle murdered me, lol. If not just for the free-doom voice effect of jumping. Which is so bad after a while. I don't really have any comments except maybe don't use flying enemies and instead use walking ones, those are more predictable and don't ambush you at the last second before making a jump. The level itself also is a bit long and asks a lot for a timed event. Potion management, monsters, and pretty precise jumps. Kinda indifferent on it.
I just loved the art by the way, and the enemy/arena designs themselves

Hope to see more soon!

Heya! Thanks for taking time to play and review the demo! I will see how it will work out if I turn the infighting off on those maps - it will be a lot more difficult, I imagine.
I have to agree on the jumping puzzle map. The monsters were originally added to further annoy the player, but after dying a bunch of times while playtesting, I think they served their purpose a bit too well, and I think I'll indeed replace them. Agreed, the potion placement on that map is atrocious. In the end however, the jumping puzzle and the arena maps aren't my first priority, as I'm focused on creating story maps and quests.

Again, thanks for playtesting, the project is indeed still being worked on!!
alekksandar

Previous

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects