Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.1) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Leglock »

I found some performance issues like fps drops.
csiga77

Post by csiga77 »

Leglock wrote:I found some performance issues like fps drops.
Same for me, it got a bit better when I compiled my own gzdoom (linux x64). I read somewhere it is about original doom limitations. It happened for me with Shadowman's other releases - huge maps, zillion sprites, and happened with Blade of Agony (same court) too. I thought my core2duo is weak for this, but CPUs run around 40/40%, and, with a ton of OC, it is really enough for me for everything else. Same problem with software renderer/lzdoom. How about your hardware - for a comparison?

I really love the oldschool gameplay, takes me back in time - even to 80's crazy hardly, or never ending/fastening games... Huge work, great story, lots of easter eggs, super hard secrets - I doubt I can even think of a 100% completion... But I'll try. : )
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

After the excellent inquisitor 3d, thank you for another great game :D

In the rebellious peasant's mansion there is a door that only opens partially, so I cannot enter without no clipping my way in.
partially opened door
partially opened door
In pagb666's video below, it opens fully:
https://youtu.be/_AwKHSYKcBw?t=1471
EDIT: Leaving and entering the map solved it :) But only after opening it partially and then leaving and entering again...

Regarding the performance issues, since I upgraded my Gzdoom to 4.4.2 version, Vulkan rendering solved all my problems :)

Thanks again.

EDIT:
1) I can't find a place to regenerate my mana points in Sorona. There are some potion icons on the map but I can't find a way to interact with them. (Actually it is not a problem since eating fruits doesn't cost much.)
2) It seems mushroom attacks are harmless.
3) I discovered when selecting transmutation spells,I can also choose inventory items while paused. That removes the need for inventory shortcuts in the heat of the battle :) Although buff countdowns still continue.
4) Staff of thoth didn't seem to drain my life
5) I finished the game. It was awesome. I can't believe you could put in so much content and gamestyle.
6) Where is cowardly satyr's key? How do I access the secret levels? I want my second playthrough a more complete one but I need some assistance.
Spoiler:
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

anjinsanroland wrote: In the rebellious peasant's mansion there is a door that only opens partially, so I cannot enter without no clipping my way in.
Now we are working on an updated version (a new map will be added), in which all these bugs will be fixed.
anjinsanroland wrote: 1) I can't find a place to regenerate my mana points in Sorona. There are some potion icons on the map but I can't find a way to interact with them. (Actually it is not a problem since eating fruits doesn't cost much.)
The icons on the automap show shops or main NPCs.
anjinsanroland wrote: 2) It seems mushroom attacks are harmless.
Let's fix it. It is also possible, if you have high resistance to poison, then weak poisonous attacks may not do damage at all.
anjinsanroland wrote: 3) I discovered when selecting transmutation spells,I can also choose inventory items while paused. That removes the need for inventory shortcuts in the heat of the battle :) Although buff countdowns still continue.
Very well! This is a completely "legal" way to pause the battle in order to heal or choose the right thing. But the running scripts still continue to operate - the pause is not absolute!
anjinsanroland wrote: 4) Staff of thoth didn't seem to drain my life
Armor or resistances "eat" the damage that the staff deals. Let's think about fixing or giving the player such a relief ...
anjinsanroland wrote: 5) I finished the game. It was awesome. I can't believe you could put in so much content and gamestyle.
Thank! We must thank Big Memka for his truly fantastic ability to create large and high-quality maps in a fairly short time.
anjinsanroland wrote: 6) Where is cowardly satyr's key? How do I access the secret levels? I want my second playthrough a more complete one but I need some assistance.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Thank you very much Shadowman for your kind answers.
Shadowman wrote:if you have high resistance to poison, then weak poisonous attacks may not do damage at all.
Poison cloud left by mushroom's dead body harmed me normally.
EDIT: For my second character, mushroom attacks are quite deadly.
Also is poison regarded as an element? If not, what gives the resistance?

Can you elaborate secondary effects of attributes like resistance and hit points.
I think STR gives the most HP.

EDITs from my second playthrough:

Bugs:
1)If you can cast blizzard, than left mouse button casts ice darts even if you don't have the spell nor requirements.
2)Not planting the bomb in arsenal does not fail the quest.

Min/maxer info:
Spoiler:
Last edited by anjinsanroland on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

anjinsanroland wrote: EDIT: For my second character, mushroom attacks are quite deadly.
Also is poison regarded as an element? If not, what gives the resistance?

Can you elaborate secondary effects of attributes like resistance and hit points.
I think STR gives the most HP.
Elemental Shield also increases resistance to poison, unlike Inquisitor 3d, where resistance to poison was given by the Spirit Shield.
anjinsanroland wrote: Bugs:
1)If you can cast blizzard, than left mouse button casts ice darts even if you don't have the spell nor requirements.
2)Not planting the bomb in arsenal does not fail the quest.
Thanks for observing and identifying bugs. We will edit.
There will be a new map in the updated version, and I believe that the player can get the maximum level before the final boss.
The new version is currently being tested.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Good news! Work on the update is almost finished. And we are ready to publish the final version by the weekend.
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

thanks so much for all the effort and thanks for the news because i check this forum page once or twice everyday. i also check i3d threat as well
Cassidy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cassidy »

After loading my previous saved game I've decided to seek out some missed secrets and I found a room with Lara Croft in it tied to a cross. I was wall humping and found it by accident.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

This is one of two Easter eggs added at the very end by the authors.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Cassidy wrote:After loading my previous saved game I've decided to seek out some missed secrets and I found a room with Lara Croft in it tied to a cross. I was wall humping and found it by accident.
I would like to note that this secret caused a big shit at Doomworld, soon after which I was banned there))
I hope that people on zdoom forum are more adequate in perceiving this kind of secrets. Just in case, this is a warning for those who haven't played yet :D .
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Our testers found some translation inaccuracies and other minor bugs. Therefore, you will have to wait another week ...
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Ascension has been updated to a version 1.3.
- Added a new map with a new quest
- Most of the trees and some other sprite objects are replaced with 3D models
- various bugs fixed
New screenshots:
https://i.postimg.cc/265R2W4Q/Screensho ... 134756.png
https://i.postimg.cc/FR6qpBFv/Screensho ... 134837.png
https://i.postimg.cc/Z0tQtvyD/Screensho ... 135213.png
https://i.postimg.cc/8kJPG86h/Screensho ... 135247.png
Have a nice game!
See the first post of the topic for the link.
Last edited by Shadowman on Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
anjinsanroland

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.3) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by anjinsanroland »

Very happy to see the update :) but google drive says "file is in owner's trash" so couldn't download
Shadowman

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.3) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

anjinsanroland wrote:Very happy to see the update :) but google drive says "file is in owner's trash" so couldn't download
Just corrected the release date and version number. Now reloaded, check the link.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”