Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Shadowman
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

"Ascension", v. 1.0 now is released!
Look at the 1-st post for more details.
Have a nice game!
Download Ascension demo from Google.drive
User avatar
Cassidy
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:31 am
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: USA

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Cassidy »

Wow, I just looked at the screenshots and they look marvelous! And 18 maps? This should keep me busy for a long time. I will most likely write a review on this once I finish this game. Thanks for your guy's hard work :thumb:
John Stalvern
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by John Stalvern »

Excellent! It's been a long wait. I'm going to begin immediately.
skdursh
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by skdursh »

Played this for a few hours last night. Absolutely loving it so far. This might be my pick for 2020 Caco #1.

I am curious though, are there any console commands available to increase stats/give experience/levels? I don't intend to cheat through the game but I'm really curious what the speed/jumping ability difference is between a char with like only 5 dex and one with 50. Also, there is at least one instance I ran across where something wasn't translated to English from Russian in the game. In the lower temple area there is a room with what looks like Egyptian hieroglyphics on the doors and in the center is what looks like a square button with a scarab on it. When you step on it the character says something in Russian, but a dialog box also pops up which is untranslated and still in Russian as well.

In any case, thank you both for all your hard work, this game has me enthralled.
John Stalvern
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by John Stalvern »

I am really enjoying the game so far, but I have discovered what seems to be a major sequence break that you may wish to fix.
Spoiler:
BigMemka
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by BigMemka »

John Stalvern wrote:I am really enjoying the game so far, but I have discovered what seems to be a major sequence break that you may wish to fix.
Spoiler:
Yes, thank you for your observation. I think I've found the place you're talking about. We will fix this bug with the next patch. For now, you'd better not use this road, so as not to break several scripts. :D
Toyoch
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Toyoch »

Congrats for the release! Downloading! Will update this post when I got far enough to write bug reports, thoughts and review.

EDIT 1 : Playing on Nightmare, just exited the temple.

- Aiming for DEX/STR hybrid for the first run. Maybe I'd go with INT/WIS focused next.
- New weapon balancing is good so far, and Vampire Hand is helpful when I really need health from anything... namely from critters.
- Ranged enemies are overpowered. Rogues pretty much oneshots the player, making the melee impossible and you're doomed when you run out of crossbow bolt before reaching the shop.
- The first NPC says he can train you up to 13 stats, but I could raise my stat up to to 15 there.
- Skeletons are too fast, possibly due to -fast option from Nightmare difficulty.
- Found Russian texts even with English setting ; A floor switch in a room west of first Healing Pool.
- The plant's bramble spawning rate is insane. Good thing the brambles won't move much once they are surfaced, so where you make them appear is important to take the seed down.
skdursh
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:17 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by skdursh »

Toyoch wrote:Congrats for the release! Downloading! Will update this post when I got far enough to write bug reports, thoughts and review.

EDIT 1 : Playing on Nightmare, just exited the temple.

- Aiming for DEX/STR hybrid for the first run. Maybe I'd go with INT/WIS focused next.
- New weapon balancing is good so far, and Vampire Hand is helpful when I really need health from anything... namely from critters.
- Ranged enemies are overpowered. Rogues pretty much oneshots the player, making the melee impossible and you're doomed when you run out of crossbow bolt before reaching the shop.
- The first NPC says he can train you up to 13 stats, but I could raise my stat up to to 15 there.
- Skeletons are too fast, possibly due to -fast option from Nightmare difficulty.
- Found Russian texts even with English setting ; A floor switch in a room west of first Healing Pool.
- The plant's bramble spawning rate is insane. Good thing the brambles won't move much once they are surfaced, so where you make them appear is important to take the seed down.
I disagree and think the ranged balance is fine considering all the projectiles can be dodged and aren't hitscan. Skeletons also move at a fine rate and it's easy to just get them in a group and then stutter-step backwards while swinging and kill them. I mentioned the Russian text in that room above, but I don't think anyone saw my comment. The brambles only spawn more if you attack/kill the vines before killing the main pod. If you just ignore the initial 3 vines and concentrate on the core it won't spawn any more (it's usually really easy to take out the core from a distance with the crossbow and ignore the vines entirely).
BigMemka
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by BigMemka »

skdursh wrote:Played this for a few hours last night. Absolutely loving it so far. This might be my pick for 2020 Caco #1.

I am curious though, are there any console commands available to increase stats/give experience/levels? I don't intend to cheat through the game but I'm really curious what the speed/jumping ability difference is between a char with like only 5 dex and one with 50. Also, there is at least one instance I ran across where something wasn't translated to English from Russian in the game. In the lower temple area there is a room with what looks like Egyptian hieroglyphics on the doors and in the center is what looks like a square button with a scarab on it. When you step on it the character says something in Russian, but a dialog box also pops up which is untranslated and still in Russian as well.

In any case, thank you both for all your hard work, this game has me enthralled.
Thank you for noticing the untranslated text. As for the difference in jumps depending on dexterity: in the console, type puke 901, then your characteristics will rise to the maximum and you will take away the difference between small and large dexterity.
BigMemka
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by BigMemka »

Toyoch wrote:Congrats for the release! Downloading! Will update this post when I got far enough to write bug reports, thoughts and review.

EDIT 1 : Playing on Nightmare, just exited the temple.

- Aiming for DEX/STR hybrid for the first run. Maybe I'd go with INT/WIS focused next.
- New weapon balancing is good so far, and Vampire Hand is helpful when I really need health from anything... namely from critters.
- Ranged enemies are overpowered. Rogues pretty much oneshots the player, making the melee impossible and you're doomed when you run out of crossbow bolt before reaching the shop.
- The first NPC says he can train you up to 13 stats, but I could raise my stat up to to 15 there.
- Skeletons are too fast, possibly due to -fast option from Nightmare difficulty.
- Found Russian texts even with English setting ; A floor switch in a room west of first Healing Pool.
- The plant's bramble spawning rate is insane. Good thing the brambles won't move much once they are surfaced, so where you make them appear is important to take the seed down.
Are you serious about going all the way to the temple for this nightmare? I was only able to pass the first level :-) I suggested that Shadowman add a nightmare as a joke. Honestly, I have no idea if it's possible to go through the entire game on nightmare! Theoretically, this is possible, since you can be treated for free. But the projectiles and enemies there are really very fast!
Toyoch
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Toyoch »

BigMemka wrote: Are you serious about going all the way to the temple for this nightmare? I was only able to pass the first level :-) I suggested that Shadowman add a nightmare as a joke. Honestly, I have no idea if it's possible to go through the entire game on nightmare! Theoretically, this is possible, since you can be treated for free. But the projectiles and enemies there are really very fast!
I'm serious on playing Nightmare, and I thought it's intended, tested and recommended for newbies.

One little typo found : Death message from Heavy Archer is written as "Havy".

As for the enemy ranged damage, is that intended that LIGHT Archer deal no less than 100+ damage a shot? Is Defender the only way to defeat the Vampire without cheat, due to the amounts of homing projectiles everywhere?

Another Russian text :
Spoiler:

EDIT : I give up. Ended up using freeze cheat in the finale battles.

Here are more thoughts with spoilers.
- The maps are overall beautiful. Fast Travel teleports are there, but not that useful in my opinion.
- Good thing there are no more gold shortage issue, if you use the bank properly.
- On Nightmare, some charging enemies like Fresh Imp, Satyr Berserker or Lost Souls act weird; they try to charge you but the action gets reset and they just retry, causing them to almost freeze on one spot.
And this enemy behavior makes ALL ranged enemies fire at insane rate.
- Fire Launcher Primary has pathetic range, usually killing myself.
- The Blunderbuss is as reliable as Doom BFG; sometimes the Alt Fire can destroy a whole corridor, sometimes it doesn't do any damage as the projectile hits something and disappear.
- Blunderbuss seems to create error lines each time I fire either modes.
- Greatsword is simply a suicide to use, due to enemy fire rates.
Spoiler:
skdursh wrote: I disagree and think the ranged balance is fine considering all the projectiles can be dodged and aren't hitscan. Skeletons also move at a fine rate and it's easy to just get them in a group and then stutter-step backwards while swinging and kill them. I mentioned the Russian text in that room above, but I don't think anyone saw my comment. The brambles only spawn more if you attack/kill the vines before killing the main pod. If you just ignore the initial 3 vines and concentrate on the core it won't spawn any more (it's usually really easy to take out the core from a distance with the crossbow and ignore the vines entirely).
Please try Behemoth on Nightmare Difficulty and see if its projectile is dodgable.
As for the plants, the top tier main pod WILL fight back and pretty much instantly kill me with its poison shot spam.


EDIT 2 : Now I am trying again with Hard difficulty. The enemy speed(move, attack, projectile) is about x2-x3 SLOWER than Nightmare.
Last edited by Toyoch on Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
User avatar
Shadowman
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Thanks for watching! If possible, send screenshots with the identified bugs.
Nightmare is a special mode, we did not test the passage on it, but left it for fans to tickle their nerves.
The standard modes for playing are easy, normal, hard.
Characteristics can be improved by teachers. The first is the old man on the tower in the lower temple. To improve the characteristics, you need both abilities (see the player statistics menu) and money.
Stock prices change when you leave Sorona and exit the gate towers of the city onto the road (south exit or west exit). The prices are also affected by events that occur with the guilds of magicians and warriors.
Toyoch
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Toyoch »

So I have finished on Hard. Took me 8 hours this time.
Final stats are 11/8/30/30, went for Mage Guild branch.
Spoiler:
So, in the end, this TC is really enjoyable. Cacoward worthy I would say.
BigMemka
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 am

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by BigMemka »

Toyoch wrote:So I have finished on Hard. Took me 8 hours this time.
Final stats are 11/8/30/30, went for Mage Guild branch.
Spoiler:
So, in the end, this TC is really enjoyable. Cacoward worthy I would say.
Congratulations on passing! Do you think that we need to complicate the last stage of the game, when we leave through the Northern gate of Sorona? That is, to make the mage's weapon less powerful, or is the difficulty normal and destroying crowds of enemies is fun?
Toyoch
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:21 pm
Location: Japan

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.0) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Toyoch »

I think everything is okay as they currently are, except one thing : The defense statue shouldn't be damagable by the player(if they have massive AoE, it will die fast. Repulsion will kill it too but I think that's fine as repulsion pushing is exploitable).
Mages can still die quickly due to weak armor, if they let enemies get too close or they were too lazy to switch appropriate weapons for enemies.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”