Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
otarU1921

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.3) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by otarU1921 »

I found a bug...

When you kill someone and it triggers the burning animation, you don't gain experience.

For example, I bought a Hammer of Wrath at the main town. Went to the Sewers, did 2 hits on a Goblin, he died triggering a running burning corpse animation and didn't give me exp.

Edit: From additional testing it seems to also happen with the weapon on slot 9 and the flame thrower hands magic
I didn't test the spells you get from scrolls

Edit2: I took a quick look at the actors folder and it seems that at least Goblin, Undead Corpse and IceMage have bugged burn scripts, there are probably more.

BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Thank you for the video. We are still preparing fixes and will release a new version soon.
otarU1921

Post by otarU1921 »

Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Thank you all for the bugs identified. We are currently finalizing the fixes and will soon release an updated version of wad.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

otarU1921 wrote:I found a bug...
Yeah... At the same time, they don't play burning sound, screaming sound, or maybe both at all. Gotta check that out.
Shadowman

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Updated to a version 1.4
- various bugs fixed
Have a nice game!
Download Ascension v.1.4 from Google.drive
Cassidy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cassidy »

Yay! I love bug fixes. I failed to mention that when I did a re-run on gzdoom ver 4.5.0 I noticed that I had fps drops in certain areas that were fine in ver 4.3. Is this new version optimized for 4.5.0? Thank you.

Respectfully,
Cassidy
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Yes. In particular, we divided the 13th level of "Sorona on fire" into 2 levels. And also removed the attack of the final boss, which leads to a drop in fps.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Hi everybody. It's been a very long time since there was any news about our project. But all this time (with small interruptions) it has been developing. Bugs were found and fixed, new locations were added. A few screenshots.
https://i.postimg.cc/jjjSsGts/Screensho ... 182458.png
https://i.postimg.cc/SR40KMCW/Screensho ... 210928.png
https://i.postimg.cc/wxDgd6LX/Screensho ... 210612.png
_OniriA_

Post by _OniriA_ »

That's looking really cool :D
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

"Ascension update (v.1.5) has been released. Added a new map, 2 new quests, and a new way to earn money in one of the Sorona taverns.
Fixed minor bugs (in particular, the restoration of health and mana when moving to a new location for the first time).
Holy Strength and Haste spells now add +3 to Strength and Dexterity, respectively, if the player's Wisdom is below 20. Wisdom above 20 gives the bonus +5 as before, but requires a recast if the spell was cast before Wisdom was reached 20.
Have a nice game!
Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tp5C5R ... sp=sharing

Also today at 16.00 Moscow time there will be a stream on Ascension. Join now!
https://www.twitch.tv/hanomamoru
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Excellent news :)
I give my best wishes for Big Memka, Shadowman, you and the modding community around these excellent works.
Zdommere
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zdommere »

can somebody reupload this somewhere?
CzudakCzudak

Post by CzudakCzudak »

This mod is an absolutely flabbergasting piece of creativity. The way it meshes RPG elements with action and storytelling, sauces all of that with a swell level design makes one feel like they are playing an ancient dungeon crawler from '90s in real time (that's how you usually do, but this time on steroids!). I already finished this mod with the three "classes" described in the manual and I only want more; I even called EPA, WHO and NATO and they said that Ascension should be considered at least as addictive as cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine bundled together.

My only complaint? The performance was crappy until I enabled Vulkan as the default renderer, instead of any OpenGL or SoftPoly, and that move gave me +125% more FPS instantly. Oh, and I still can't figure out how to "steal" anything, as described in the pool of Dexterity's description (I tried shoplifting like in the Wizardry series, but it didn't pan out?).

But since no review, no matter how short, isn't complete without the parade of wishes, also know as "feedback", here's mine. But feel free to ignore it, in its entirety or partially; we all know how busy people, especially those creating free mods, are nowadays!

--------------------------------------------------

1. You might want to go with the point based initial character creation system instead of the rolling one, since 99% of players will keep rolling until they get as much points in all attributes as possible, which means wasting several minutes they should be playing already, lol. Set all attributes to 5 when starting at the level 1 and give 5-7 points to distribute as they see fit?

2. Since the attributes system is already there, you might want to expand the number of attributes and/or effects of what they do:

STRength - received knock back reduction, wielded weapon recoil reduction*, poison reduction and/or duration**, holding breath duration when underwater**, starting max Health/HP (+1 by each point above 5 at level 1) and/or increasment of the max Health/HP (+0.5 by each point at level 2+)***
DEXterity - disabling traps [preferably with the "set" check, not percentage based (exactly like forcing/picking locks that's already implemented), so the players who didn't invest in Dexterity won't be able to abuse this, even if they have access to Dexterity improving potions/spells], falling damage reduction (it would need to be added first, though)
CONstitution/VITality - starting max Health/HP (+6 by each point above 5) and/or increment of the max Health/HP (+3 by each point point then)****, holding breath duration when underwater****
INTelligence - deciphering secret/unknown writings (would need to be added first, of course; but I would love finding and deciphering writings of long gone civilizations)
WISdom - sensing secrets (distance based; seriously xD)
CHArisma - buying price reduction, selling price increment, dialog persuasion (should be rather rare; could include expanding upon the initial reward promised [preferably with the "set" check, not percentage based so the players who didn't invest in Charisma won't be able to abuse this]), very special attack(s) cooldown reduction (adding them beforehand would be a must, though), increment of the gained ability scores at level up (+1 for each 10 [in addition for the base 2])

*Might need to be added to (some) weapons lacking it in the first place
**This effect if Constitution/Vitality |not| included
***This effect if Constitution/Vitality included
****This effect if Strength effect |not| included

--------------------------------------------------

The mod's texts could use some proofreading too, if only to track those few typos and misspellings remaining (especially with the plural "You picked up "a" crossbow (stunning/exploding) "bolts").

That would be it, bros. Keep this thing rolling, it's beyond awesome. And you might want to set up a Patreon or something for that extra monetary boost to hire a person who could help you with things required in your mods you are unable to do yourselves (difficult coding, graphics, and shit).

Cheerio!

P.S. Please update the link in the first post with the one for the v1.5! Only now I learned about it.
BigMemka1

Post by BigMemka1 »

Unfortunately, the zdoom forum asked us to update the password, but did not want to let us back in -). Shadowman had the same problems. Therefore, updating the first page will be problematic. I received a bunch of messages on Google's mail about the requested permissions to download wada. Since I rarely use Google mail, I have a question: did anyone have problems downloading a file?

CzudakCzudak thank you for the detailed feedback. We are glad that people liked this mod and soon there will be a small update to version 1.6. There will be a small rebalance towards warriors and a weakening of magicians. Since we have received several reports that the magician is too strong a class.

1.This lottery was first implemented in Inquisitor 3 and was repeated here. It doesn't take much time, but it looks funny.

2. As for adding new features, we were forced to abandon this because of the simplicity of balance and more dynamic gameplay. In the previous wad "Inquisitor 3в", there was a "VITality" characteristic. But it complicated the gameplay and this characteristic seemed unnecessary. The player should be busy exploring the world, not pumping the player. For the same reason, we refused to sleep. But thanks for the ideas anyway.
p.s. Theft means you can open locks in houses.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”