Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Thud
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Ascension (Release, v 1.3) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by Thud »

I am getting the console error:
p_startscript: Unknown Script 8
When attempting to open the lighthouse door on "Bank of Khorus", shortly after starting a new game.
This happens both before and after I retrieve the key. The door does not open even after retrieving the key from the nearby bandit cave.

The error appears when using:
gzdoom-4-4-2-Windows-64bit
and
gzdoom-4-3-3-Windows-64bit
I started a new game in both versions of GZdoom and encountered the same error in the same spot on both, so I don't think this is some sort of save specific issue.

I am running the new 1.3 release of Ascension. I haven't tried any previous releases.
Aside from this the mod appears to be running without issue. I am not seeing any other console errors.

Is anyone else seeing this error? Is there something I need to do on my end on my computer and/or GZdoom to prevent it?
I guess I can no-clip though the door if I need to, but I'd rather not break any scripting if I can help it.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Yes we noticed this error when we uploaded the archive. We will post an archive with corrections later. And if you don't want to go through everything from the beginning, you can use the idclip cheat.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Thud wrote:I am getting the console error:
p_startscript: Unknown Script 8
When attempting to open the lighthouse door on "Bank of Khorus", shortly after starting a new game.
Fixed. The link above is updated. Sorry.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

"Unknown Script 7" when I use the elevator in the cave just past the lighthouse. Would you please check?
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Toyoch wrote:"Unknown Script 7" when I use the elevator in the cave just past the lighthouse. Would you please check?
This is some kind of mysticism! Replaced the link again.
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Shadowman wrote:
Toyoch wrote:"Unknown Script 7" when I use the elevator in the cave just past the lighthouse. Would you please check?
This is some kind of mysticism! Replaced the link again.
Thank you, and I think I found another progression stopping issue : The door in Mikura the blacksmith's house in the city cannot be opened from inside. Had to IDCLIP out of there.

EDIT : Also found few Russian texts - The "Firebird Nest area" entrance switch in lower Monastery, Pentagrams in Vampire's Lair(Warrior questline), and a quest list entry for the new map(It was very tough for a melee run at level 10!)
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Considering the bugs, it seems to be a rough release of v1.3.
I want to play Ascention a forth time with the updated content, but seeing the bug reports and experiencing "Unknown Script 7" before the latest fix myself, I hesitate to go all through it.
For newcomers, after seeing a couple of bugs at the beginning of a playthrough, whenever the progress stops due to a puzzle or story element or any intended level design, it always comes to mind if it is a bug or not. This meta thinking of course puts people away from the atmosphere. I've experienced it with other mods but not once with Inquisitor series or Ascention, so it is indeed surprising. But since I completed Ascention thrice, I believe I can distinguish a bug among the intended design elements. However I still want a smooth experience, so I hold myself for a couple of days more and watch this thread for any new reports.
I wish you best of luck.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

It is a pity that the bugs still remain despite our efforts. I'll check the first maps again for "broken scripts", as well as the remaining Russian texts. If you have exact screenshots of these moments, please provide.

So, I checked again the places on the maps that raised the questions.
Fixed texts on map02 (Phoenix quest).
Fixed texts in the quest journal for a new quest.
Checked scripts 7 and 8 on the first maps - everything works.
I hope that now there will be no bugs interfering with the passage ...
While the wad is available at this link:
https://yadi.sk/d/y-Ibc-F-pVJkig

Big Memka provided a permanent link here:
Download Ascension v.1.3 from Google.drive
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Thank you for the double check;
Much appreciated :)
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Toyoch wrote:"The door in Mikura the blacksmith's house in the city cannot be opened from inside. Had to IDCLIP out of there.
This is still a valid bug
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

anjinsanroland wrote:
Toyoch wrote:"The door in Mikura the blacksmith's house in the city cannot be opened from inside. Had to IDCLIP out of there.
This is still a valid bug
I too found this bug, but if you enter from upstairs from the top by jumping on the crates in the back you can still exit out of Mikula's house from there. However, if you enter through the front door without going through the upstairs door first (the back way) then yeah you are forever stuck from the inside and have to use IDCLIP to get out. Using current GZDoom 4.5.0
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Thanks. I think that when there are more reviews or comments, we will release a patch with corrections.

Have you already been to the new level - fire Islands?
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

BigMemka wrote:Thanks. I think that when there are more reviews or comments, we will release a patch with corrections.

Have you already been to the new level - fire Islands?
I picked up the map scroll of the Burning Islands and talked to the captain of the ship in Sorona which gave me the option to travel there. I was still at a low level but wanted to see this place out of curiosity. The knight archers are fun to battle with, those mini dragons are a pain, and those magma creatures inside the cave are insanely powerful with their explosive attacks. I gave up after dying dozens of times but will try again at a higher level.
Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

I think I found another bug. When I use the Burning Hands and Fireball spell to kill skeletons I noticed that I don't receive any experience points. Also, after killing the Ancient Vampire I found an invisible wall blocking the bridge where beyond it lies several Wargs and a few poisonous beasts.
anjinsanroland

Post by anjinsanroland »

Cassidy wrote:after killing the Ancient Vampire I found an invisible wall blocking the bridge where beyond it lies several Wargs and a few poisonous beasts.
Even if you noclip through the bridge, the enemies there will be inactive.

I can't find the last Balduin's Plate. I used to find them all easily. Now, exploring the areas regarding first two quests of all three guilds yielded no results. Any idea where might I miss? Or should I venture forth to Temple of Elements or Burning Isles?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”