Ascension (Release, v 1.4) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BigMemka

Re: Ascension (Demo) - by Big Memka and Shadowman

Post by BigMemka »

Hello everyone! Our project is a little advanced in development. All levels are already done. And soon there will be a stage of tests. In the meantime a few screenshots.
https://pastenow.ru/d0a9d171eddd6774325316dd84c0e666
https://pastenow.ru/ea98dfc843f73fedf9d5ebf983ad6a3a
https://pastenow.ru/9b50c28d6118da5af2de1d9b1beccffc
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

This looks really good. I hadn't actually heard of this project at all before this thread getting bumped with your update, but I look forward to the release. In the meantime I'm going to give the demo a try.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Hello everyone! We will finish this wad soon! And to brighten up your wait, here are a few screenshots:

https://ibb.co/NrjnfZg
https://ibb.co/NrR4vnC
https://ibb.co/2W2PsDL
https://ibb.co/2NRsZYw
John Stalvern

Post by John Stalvern »

Looks great, can't wait!
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Oh sorry! I accidentally posted pictures with Russian text. So that you can understand what the people of Sorona are talking about, here are pictures with English dialogues :-)

https://ibb.co/0fSLjMb
https://ibb.co/9cC5f4R
Cassidy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cassidy »

Downloaded this demo a while back and my goodness I love the amount of work that was poured into it. I see that the character breathes as shown with the fists and weapons moving up and down when you stop moving. That's cool. Wooden staff was hard to use but I got the hang of it. Also, I thought I saw a tiny drop in FPS in certain areas but it did not ruin my experience. Beautiful scenery and nice creature/enemy selection. I wonder if this project is just as long as the Inquisitor 3. Hopefully longer :)
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Thank you for your feedback. We will try not to disappoint you in the final version. Unfortunately low fps on weak computers is a consequence of the imperfection of the gzdoom port itself. Although even on my computer with an amd ryzen 5 processor and an r570 radeon video card sometimes there are small drops in fps in busy places. We had to divide the large maps into several maps. We even deliberately simplified the map architecture. The wad itself is about as long as Inquisitor 3.
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Nice ...you made videos about this on YouTube or?
This looks amazing...
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

We haven't done it yet. But perhaps we will record it for release.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Fantastic, large, wonderful and immersive TC. The detail of each scenery is nicely decorated and just deep. Also the storyline is pretty well written! I had fun while playing it. Congrats releasing the demo!
Spoiler: And here's some suggestions i had in mind.
Don't take my feedback seriously, and i do really hope it helps. Looking forward to its completion! :D
John Stalvern

Post by John Stalvern »

I can field your question about leveling up- you need to talk to certain NPCs in order to train. Talk to the old man in the tower (the one who gives you the "slug" quest) and he can help you raise your stats. Alternately, the pools in the alchemists' laboratory (where you begin) will allow you to do so without a fee.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

So about that, do i still have to spend my gold despite of having one or few abilities waiting to be spent? Also the Alchemist's Pool, the starting place is inaccessible anymore once you ride the boat.

And speaking of Alchemist's Pool, you have to backtrack for a good amount of time once you level up and it's rather boring.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention this, but tree props look weird when i look up and down. Perhaps put FORCEYBILLBOARD flag onto them?

DOUBLE EDIT: Aaaaand i actually hear some vanilla doom sound effect such as pickup one and the dropping platform one.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Thank you for the detailed review. We uploaded the demo version of mod a long time ago. And most of the comments have already been corrected.

"Enemies in the game attack aggressively and gives you hefty damage. So my health keeps getting low and the items around the map eventually empties out. I would like to learn some kind of healing magic, no matter the cost." - you can eat food and Crystal Vial that is a lot on the maps. Also use Quartz Flask and Mystic Urn. On some levels, there are healing pools. Also when you increase the level of health automatically increases to the maximum. Also with a sufficient level of wisdom you can use a vampirism spell. The game will have a regeneration spell, but in the later stages of the game.

"Weirdly the game's voices are mish-mashed: while bandits speak english, the protagonist himself speaks russian. I get the meaning, but it's quite eccentric. Can you just make it fully russian, at least?" - haha! This joke is still from the previous parts of the Inquisitors mod. Moreover it is not so easy to find the right voice acting.

"And speaking of Alchemist's Pool, you have to backtrack for a good amount of time once you level up and it's rather boring." - we decided to use the system of increasing the characteristics as in Gothic.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

BigMemka wrote:you can eat food and Crystal Vial that is a lot on the maps. Also use Quartz Flask and Mystic Urn. On some levels, there are healing pools. Also when you increase the level of health automatically increases to the maximum. Also with a sufficient level of wisdom you can use a vampirism spell. The game will have a regeneration spell, but in the later stages of the game.
You still can heal in the first map by eating some food and potions, and there are some actually healing spells. I see now. But i've got another questions: Are Tomatoes and Oranges just heal your mana? Because i don't think they heal my actual health, really.

And would be nice if the first map has healing pool like you mentioned because i don't see any!
we decided to use the system of increasing the characteristics as in Gothic.
So does that mean i can enhance my stats without asking NPCs or heading to the pool? That would be neat also.
BigMemka

Post by BigMemka »

Captain J wrote:
BigMemka wrote:you can eat food and Crystal Vial that is a lot on the maps. Also use Quartz Flask and Mystic Urn. On some levels, there are healing pools. Also when you increase the level of health automatically increases to the maximum. Also with a sufficient level of wisdom you can use a vampirism spell. The game will have a regeneration spell, but in the later stages of the game.
You still can heal in the first map by eating some food and potions, and there are some actually healing spells. I see now. But i've got another questions: Are Tomatoes and Oranges just heal your mana? Because i don't think they heal my actual health, really.

And would be nice if the first map has healing pool like you mentioned because i don't see any!
we decided to use the system of increasing the characteristics as in Gothic.
So does that mean i can enhance my stats without asking NPCs or heading to the pool? That would be neat also.
Apples restore 10 blue mana
Tomatoes restore 10 green mana
Oranges restore 10 green and blue mana
bread restores 5 health
Meat restores 12 health
cheese restores 5 health and 5 green and blue mana.
Especially for such cases we have written a manual and it will be included with the final version.

And only special NPCs will be able to enhance you stats.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”