Abysm: Dawn of Innocence v1.2 UPDATE

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Staledonut
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence RELEASED! - Action Adventure TC

Post by Staledonut »

checked the version and now i have pie on my face :oops: was using 3.0.0 and when i upgraded the glitch was gone ;)
jazzmaster9

Re: Abysm: Dawn of Innocence RELEASED v1.1 - Action Adventur

Post by jazzmaster9 »

V1.1 has been uploaded

- Lowered the Damage of Necromancer boss's Fire Stream attack from 5 to 2
- Lowered the Damage of Izalith's Fireball from 4 to 3
- Added an elevator in the Yrma Township's swamp area to make getting back up to the upper platforms easier
- Typographical error Corrections
- Retexturing in some maps
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

I'll just leave this here:
OcelliahSnurp

Post by OcelliahSnurp »

Hi, is there supposed to be an enemy health bar on my HUD? I watched the review video by ICARUSLIV3S, and saw that he had one. I then went to play the mod for myself, and there wasn't one on my HUD. I then tried to load in an enemy health bar addon (JP HUD, to be exact), but got a message saying that there already was one included with this mod. It's probably something on my end, or I didn't look through my options well enough, but would someone mind pointing out what I might've missed? Sorry for pestering for what might be a simple solution, but thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'm using GZDoom version 3.7.2; the only other mod I'm using is the Bolognese gore mod.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

OcelliahSnurp wrote:Hi, is there supposed to be an enemy health bar on my HUD? I watched the review video by ICARUSLIV3S, and saw that he had one. I then went to play the mod for myself, and there wasn't one on my HUD. I then tried to load in an enemy health bar addon (JP HUD, to be exact), but got a message saying that there already was one included with this mod. It's probably something on my end, or I didn't look through my options well enough, but would someone mind pointing out what I might've missed? Sorry for pestering for what might be a simple solution, but thanks in advance.

Oh, and I'm using GZDoom version 3.7.2; the only other mod I'm using is the Bolognese gore mod.
Thank you for reporting that bug. Uploaded a new version of the mod which fixes this issue :)

It had something to do with a CVar leftover from the JPHUD mod that I used as a base for.
7HEPOW
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

Yes, Icarus can draw some attention! :D

Here's another bug (or maybe it's a Bolognese bug):
With Bolognese 2.0 (without the additional .pk3 for vanilla monsters) the respawned Imps are invisible on my end.
OcelliahSnurp wrote:Oh, and I'm using GZDoom version 3.7.2; the only other mod I'm using is the Bolognese gore mod.
Can you please go god mode, kill all Imps in the wide area before entering the den, kill all in the den, report back to the chief, then go out north from the camp, complete the second quest in the sunken city, report back to the chief (etc.) and finally go out again through the north exit? Just don't use the waypoint teleporter... (Takes around 30 minutes... :P )

I'm on Manjaro Linux running GZDoom 3.7.2 aswell. I cleaned my autoload to hunt it down as I hat a couple of minimods in there and tracked it down to Bolognese in replaying the steps above probably 5-6 times... :P
Loading it incorrectly with -file bolo.pk3 abysm.pk3 caused the same error as -file abysm.pk3 bolo.pk3. (File names aren't the real ones ;) )

As Bolognese is considered a universal mod, I'd rather say it's a fault in Bolo. :D

EDIT: It IS a bug in Bolognese 2.0! ;)
Last edited by 7HEPOW on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Minor Update uploaded
- Change some texturing on Valley of Drakes
- Added Ambient wind in Valley of Drakes
- Texture realignment
- Modified Quest log text for some of the quests.
7HEPOW wrote: As Bolognese is considered a universal mod, I'd rather say it's a fault in Bolo. :D
Keep in mind that I cannot ensure compatibility for ALL gameplay mods since Abysm itself modifies/replaces some monster and thing behaviors.
OmegaJamesPrice

Post by OmegaJamesPrice »

Is there any way to play the update with old saves?
Getting an error when i try to load it up.

Also is there any way to scale the HUD?

Cheers!
Frozenwolf150

Post by Frozenwolf150 »

Just finished this mod so I don't know if all my comments will apply to the current version. I downloaded it shortly after Icarus posted his review.

Pros:

* The soundtrack is excellent and I love the remixes of Phobos Anomaly.
* The mod has an open world feel, and the optional dungeons are a nice incentive. It made me want to fully explore everything to make sure I didn't miss anything. (Ironically, I still missed one optional dungeon the first time through.)
* The respawning enemies kept me on my toes, and were a good way to farm mana, especially after triggering a massive infight.
* Weapons remain useful throughout the game. I never felt that any weapon became obsolete like vanilla Doom's pistol. I even used my fists to finish off the final boss.
* AI allies are not completely useless and actually helped me out a couple of times. (Like when I jumped off their heads to reach a higher area.)
* Quests are easy to follow and I never felt lost or confused as what to do.
* Bosses presented a decent challenge for the most part. My favorite was the rabbit, and I got a laugh out of the player death message. (Actually, why ISN'T that an available weapon? It could replace the BFG.)

Cons:

* The lack of item hotkeys really hurt in some areas, where I wished there were a quick way to use a mana or health potion, like in Hexen.
* It's a shame that many areas have no music at all, whether large outdoor areas, or after killing a boss.
* With only two difficulty settings, the mod is almost too easy. I finished with over 40K gold which I rarely had to spend, I ran out of room to hold potions, and I never had to use any scrolls. A Hard setting would be nice.
* Given the feel of the mod, I was expecting an RPG progression system. Even if not as sophisticated as in Serpent Resurrection or Scattered Evil, some simple stat upgrades like in Strife would preferable. I'd have made these could be the bounty rewards, instead of gold.
* The vanilla Doom enemies feel too generic alongside the new monsters, especially since the former have no new abilities.
* Maps could use secrets that require a more effort to access, and hold greater rewards. I felt a little disappointed when I could just open a wall, pick up a handful of gold, and that counted as a secret.

Bug Reports:
* After clearing out the Ortheon Ruins, I entered the automap cheat to make sure I didn't miss anything. I noticed an oddly placed quiver of crossbow bolts, seen here north of the red torch.
Oddly placed bolts
Oddly placed bolts
* One of the giant spiders got stuck outside the map in Xanthra's Domain, and was only visible with the automap cheat.
Screenshot_Doom_20190224_161117.png
* A few typos remain in the dialogue, the most common being "passed" instead of "past."

I'll likely play it again now that I've beaten it once.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Version 1.1.1 uploaded:
- Repositioned an Out of bounds Item in Map 03
- Aesthetic changes in Map 03
- Removed an Out of bounds monster in Map 05
- Ambient Sounds in Valley of Drakes were repositioned
- Fixed some typographical errors in the Quest logs
Frozenwolf150 wrote:Just finished this mod so I don't know if all my comments will apply to the current version. I downloaded it shortly after Icarus posted his review.

Bug Reports:
* After clearing out the Ortheon Ruins, I entered the automap cheat to make sure I didn't miss anything. I noticed an oddly placed quiver of crossbow bolts, seen here north of the red torch.

* One of the giant spiders got stuck outside the map in Xanthra's Domain, and was only visible with the automap cheat.

* A few typos remain in the dialogue, the most common being "passed" instead of "past."

I'll likely play it again now that I've beaten it once.
Thank you so much for playing the mod :) The bugs now been fixed on the new update.
OmegaJamesPrice wrote:Is there any way to play the update with old saves?
Getting an error when i try to load it up.

Cheers!
Unfortunately no, changes to the map geometry makes old savefiles incompatible and some of these updates do just that.
Burly Jim

Post by Burly Jim »

Hi there, I'm really enjoying your mod but I'm completely lost. I need to fight the necromancer but I can't even find the catacombs. I've been wandering in circles for about fifteen minutes and it's not marked on my map like the other main quests.
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Burly Jim wrote:Hi there, I'm really enjoying your mod but I'm completely lost. I need to fight the necromancer but I can't even find the catacombs. I've been wandering in circles for about fifteen minutes and it's not marked on my map like the other main quests.
Only Quest givers are marked, the Quest Log will you along with quest locations.
The Sacred Catacombs is in the Tainted Woodlands.
Kroc
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kroc »

Just getting into this after seeing icarusliv3s cover it -- just my kind of game, heavily exploration based. I like the open world and the dungeons but there's something in the whole that's just... missing... somewhere. Ammo is extremely tight to begin with meaning I had to do several trips back and forth before I was able to carve out a niche in the map, now that I've got the baron's den done I've got 1400 gold and plenty of ammo. I can't say what the answer to this is. Like others, I was kind of expecting an experience curve; some kind of method to upgrade your strength and/or weapons as you progress. I _like_ that the bow remains as practical as any other weapon but I've got to say that the fists are totally ill equipped for the style of play here. I beseech you for something with a little more reach (like a staff) to make fighting off Cacos and the like a realistic endeavour.

Anyway, besides this uncertainty about progression, I'm really enjoying the design of this mod, thanks!
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Kroc wrote:Just getting into this after seeing icarusliv3s cover it -- just my kind of game, heavily exploration based. I like the open world and the dungeons but there's something in the whole that's just... missing... somewhere. Ammo is extremely tight to begin with meaning I had to do several trips back and forth before I was able to carve out a niche in the map, now that I've got the baron's den done I've got 1400 gold and plenty of ammo. I can't say what the answer to this is. Like others, I was kind of expecting an experience curve; some kind of method to upgrade your strength and/or weapons as you progress. I _like_ that the bow remains as practical as any other weapon but I've got to say that the fists are totally ill equipped for the style of play here. I beseech you for something with a little more reach (like a staff) to make fighting off Cacos and the like a realistic endeavour.

Anyway, besides this uncertainty about progression, I'm really enjoying the design of this mod, thanks!
Thank you for playing the mod and giving feedback :)

In regards to the upgrade system, there was time late into development where a rudimentary Crossbow upgrade system was experimented with but it was never included. I felt that the way I implemented it was a bit to cumbersome so it was shelved.

As for adding a new Long Range Weapon, I'm currently happy with the amount of weapons included in the mod right now.
Melee was included as a means of last resort and should only really be done with weaker enemies.

That isn't to say, Episode 2 will not have Upgrades Systems and new Weapons. :)
DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

jazzmaster9 wrote:
Burly Jim wrote:Hi there, I'm really enjoying your mod but I'm completely lost. I need to fight the necromancer but I can't even find the catacombs. I've been wandering in circles for about fifteen minutes and it's not marked on my map like the other main quests.
Only Quest givers are marked, the Quest Log will you along with quest locations.
The Sacred Catacombs is in the Tainted Woodlands.
Is it the one area where you need the Graveyard Key? I got a key that I swear was for a crypt or something, but the Graveyard Key door refuses to open.....am I looking in entirely the wrong place?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”