[RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] ME

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
hybridial

Re: [RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC]

Post by hybridial »

I would probably most like a full widescreen HUD, but its a minor point, you're not going to be able to please everybody.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

There's no need to worry. When there's a problem, there's usually a solution.
Beezle

Post by Beezle »

I love the movement in this version of PSX Doom, I never played the original PSX Doom on Playstation but I'd imagine the movement was very similar. Hehe you would probably have little problem going toe to toe with a Cyberdemon once you got a berserker pack as it would be easy dodging rockets:)
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

Yes @Beezle, that's the PSXDoom movement taken straight from the actual game. My brother had to struggle to get the movement and speed code out! If you keep on playing this, you will notice little bug in the gravity, that will be fixed in next updates! I'm glad you are enjoying this! :D
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Yeah I would agree, the reason this particular remaster is fascinating to me is it doesn't feel like I'm playing PC Doom in GZDoom. There are other conversions and those are good pieces of work but they feel ultimately like a skin on top of the pre-existing game.

When I booted GEC up I was like "Wow this feels like something different." I admit I never really played PSX Doom, but I could see why it was a very well liked port of Doom, and in some ways I really liked the experience more.

Now it'd be beyond amazing if someone ported PSX Doom: The Lost Levels in there somehow.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Almost faultless.

The menu layout, the depth fade, the palette, the subtle overbright, the movement, this no longer feels like a total conversion, rather like an actual port. Even the Soulsphere trick works on Hectic. I feel as if this is now the definitive way to play the Midway console versions of Doom. Absolutely blown away.

In fact, the only issue I can find is that there appears to be something up with Final Doom's music tracks - they're being played with ingame sound effects rather than the instrument samples. MAP01 is comprised almost entirely of chainsaw noises and they reun the gamut from low-pitched motorcycle sounds to a baby farting, which is kind of hilarious.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

I'm very glad you are enjoying it, scalliano.
This is interesting, it's the first time I hear this weird bug, this could be caused by the sounds bank or Final Doom is playing the PSXDoom or Doom64 soundfonts instead of its own soundfonts. Have you set the port using its default configuration? maybe this can't help too much. Anyways, we will check this up.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Ah, I think I night have made the mastake of copypasting the PSXDOOM.ini file into the PSXFINAL folder because I couldn't be bothered going through and rebinding the controls again. Clearly there were some sound config differences I hadn't sccounted for.

My bad, carry on :oops:
Erick194

Post by Erick194 »

No problem @scalliano, since you copied the file PSXDOOM.ini, you just change the name to PSXFINAL.ini, followed by this you open it with a note editor and you look for the following: fluid_patchset = .. / psxdoom / PSXDOOM.SF2, only change it to fluid_patchset = .. / psxfinal / PSXFINALDOOM.SF2, save and go, the music should sound correctly.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

For some reason, gamma correction affects the whole system, and then the display driver almost immediately resets the gamma to 1.0 regardless of what it's set to ingame. Regular GZDoom does not have this problem. The "D64 Brightness" setting is a good substitude, maybe even better than traditional gamma correction, but I would still like the original setting to work right.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I have a weird issue (V2) where moving to certain menu entries on the option menus makes the game lag hard, it doesn't happen if i use the mouse though.

And the PSX games just freeze after the intro for me, but that's probably just my shit laptop.
Erick194

Post by Erick194 »

That's strange, I'll have to review those problems.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

More in-depth:

The crash on the PSX projects only happens when using GL, software mode works perfectly, outside of most graphical effects not being geared for it.
The D64 one runs fine in GL, save for random hiccups from my bad computer and the menu issue.
Erick194

Post by Erick194 »

friends you have updated graphics drivers, that's really strange since I have windows7, graphics processor: Intel and I do not see those problems, I've also tried with my laptop that is windows 10.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

It's just my botched computer then, nothing to fix here.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”