[RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] ME

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Erick194

[RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] ME

Post by Erick194 »

Finally, we have just finished this project DOOM64 and PSXDoom/Final DOOM for GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition. And to
celebrate Doom's 25 birthday we have decided to release it for everyone right now! It includes Doom64, PSXDoom and
PSXFinal DOOM in pk3 format plus an edited GZDoom with new features unique to these projects.

Here the link to download: Master Edition [GEC]
Update download: Master Edition [GEC]_V2

Changelog:
  1. Fixed firing error in shotgun and super shotgun, PSX and Doom64.
  2. New flag added in order to the player can auto-telefrag himself.
  3. Menu pictures can be stretched to 348 and pics are added to the edges "black bars" to compesate 16:9 screen resolutions.
  4. Fixed the double ammo bug given by the Zombie Marines when they die (Zombie Man, Shotgun Guy and Heavy Weapon Dude).
You just need to run the Bat.files to start a game. the games are previously configurated.

Source Code: the next objective about this project is to aim these features in newer official GZDoom Versions, feel free to make use of all the codes included here!
Update : Source Code_v2

In a couple of days, i will be uploading the source code on Github and will also make a documentation about all of these new features about this source port.

Thanks for being waiting this project, those who are interested in this project.

Happy Birthday DOOM!
Last edited by Erick194 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [RELEASE] PSX DOOM / FINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC]

Post by StroggVorbis »

Because you used A_SpawnItem instead of A_DropItem, weapons and ammo dropped by monsters contain the same amount as if they were placed, when they should give half. You can get around this by making new ammo types:

Code: Select all

Actor D64ClipDrop : D64Clip
{
Inventory.Amount 5
}

Actor D64Zombieman : Zombieman replaces Zombieman
{
[...]
{
Death:
		POSS H 5 A_SpawnItem("D64ClipDrop",0,0)
		POSS I 5 A_Scream
		POSS J 5 A_NoBlocking
		POSS K 5 ACS_NamedExecuteAlways("A_OnDeathTrigger", 0, tid, args[1]) //A_OnDeathTrigger
		POSS L -1
		Stop
	XDeath:
		POSS M 5 A_SpawnItem("D64ClipDrop",0,0)
		POSS N 5 A_XScream
		POSS O 5 A_NoBlocking
		POSS PQRS 5
		POSS T 5 ACS_NamedExecuteAlways("A_OnDeathTrigger", 0, tid, args[1]) //A_OnDeathTrigger
		POSS U -1
		Stop
}
}
P.S. Glad to see this finally get released! This, the release of DUSK and Doom's 25th birthday all on the same day couldn't be better.
I'll keep in touch provided that I find anything else :P
Last edited by StroggVorbis on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

Hmmm, we didn't know this was happening, to be honest I didn't notice it. Thanks for reporting this, DabbingSquidward. In any case, my brother can be fixing and updating this later. Please, if you find something else, don't hesitate to tell us! Have fun!
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Got a question: does any of the maps require a compatability mode, or can I just set it to default without worries?
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

Doom (strict) is the compatibility mode by default for this project, but you can set any of the other compatibility modes with no problem :D
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Oh, and before I forget. Here's an example for dropped weapons:

Actor PSXShotgunDrop : WeaponGiver
{
DropItem "PSXShotgun"
Weapon.AmmoGive 4
Weapon.PickupMessage "$TXT_GOTSHOTGUN"
States
{
Spawn:
SHOT A -1
Stop
Do note that A_SpawnItem is deprecated and was superseded by A_SpawnItemEX. If you don't use the latter in the Sergeant's X-/Death state, GZDoom will crash on pickup.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

OH MY GOD! Thanks for finally releasing this!

What a coincidence, i was just planning to replay PSX Doom :D
I will edit this post with whatever bug i find.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

This is great!
Spent a huge chunk of my day off just playing PSX Doom.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Played some Doom 64 and found the following:
-Picking up the blue armor in Hectic doesn't kill the player, instead he will be stuck in that chasecam perspective able to move and shoot around that small alcove eternally.

-Finishing Hectic doesn't unlock the Features menu. I know that cheats are readily available in GZDoom, but I expected it for authentic reasons. Well, atleast I got the rocket launcher one level earlier :P

-MAP 02: In the blue key room where you need to solve a puzzle, I found the texture for the green triangle switches to be messed up. But could also be my graphical settings, will upload a screenshot later.
Jimmy Gnosis

Post by Jimmy Gnosis »

Pretty sick work here guys.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

Good to see people is having fun with this :D
DabbingSquidward wrote:Played some Doom 64 and found the following:
-Picking up the blue armor in Hectic doesn't kill the player, instead he will be stuck in that chasecam perspective able to move and shoot around that small alcove eternally.

-Finishing Hectic doesn't unlock the Features menu. I know that cheats are readily available in GZDoom, but I expected it for authentic reasons. Well, atleast I got the rocket launcher one level earlier :P

-MAP 02: In the blue key room where you need to solve a puzzle, I found the texture for the green triangle switches to be messed up. But could also be my graphical settings, will upload a screenshot later.
Damned, this must be my brother forgot something there in Hectic, it worked in our early versions.

Hmm, we decided not to include Features menu here, as you said, the cheats are already available. If we added it, we must remove all of the cheats and we don't want to do that. It might be back someday, not sure,

I'm expecting your screenshot!
Jimmy Gnosis wrote:Pretty sick work here guys.
What do you mean by saying that? I don't understand :D
FireSeraphim

Post by FireSeraphim »

Playing this reverse engineered source ports and it's versions of PSXDoom and DOOM64 is certainty an experience. I played a few minutes of both your versions of PSXDoom and Doom64 and it's like an utterly alien experience. I honestly think this is what an alternate universe version of GZDoom would look like if the doom source code were based on PSXDoom instead of Linux Doom, truly an alien and almost alternate history like experience.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

@Gerardo194

Lo and behold! :D

EDIT: If I set "Rendering Quality" to Quality instead of Speed, MAP03 looks like this:

EDIT #2: Was the shotgun in Doom 64 always this.. weak?

Looked at the code:

SHT1 A 4 A_FireBullets(SPREAD_XY, 0, 7, ((random(0, 3) << 2) + 4), "D64BulletPuff", FBF_USEAMMO|FBF_NORANDOM)
If I understand this correctly, then each pellet should do a random amount of damage from 4-16 in steps of 4, so the damage output per attack lies between 28-112, which is 7 less/more than the vanilla min/max, but for some reason I often find myself struggling to kill more than one zombie in one shot or an imp in less than three, even though the average damage should be 56.
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

FireSeraphim wrote:Playing this reverse engineered source ports and it's versions of PSXDoom and DOOM64 is certainty an experience. I played a few minutes of both your versions of PSXDoom and Doom64 and it's like an utterly alien experience. I honestly think this is what an alternate universe version of GZDoom would look like if the doom source code were based on PSXDoom instead of Linux Doom, truly an alien and almost alternate history like experience.
yeah, I have to say for a version of Doom that is truncated and you'd think would feel worse to playing the regular version, this between the music and lighting and the subtle differences actually make for a really neat alternative experience. I found using Aubrey Hodge's music with PC Doom didn't quite fit, but it works perfectly in these three games because of their slower, more atmospheric and chunkier feel.
Gerardo194

Post by Gerardo194 »

DabbingSquidward wrote:@Gerardo194

Lo and behold! :D

EDIT: If I set "Rendering Quality" to Quality instead of Speed, MAP03 looks like this:

EDIT #2: Was the shotgun in Doom 64 always this.. weak?

Looked at the code:

SHT1 A 4 A_FireBullets(SPREAD_XY, 0, 7, ((random(0, 3) << 2) + 4), "D64BulletPuff", FBF_USEAMMO|FBF_NORANDOM)
If I understand this correctly, then each pellet should do a random amount of damage from 4-16 in steps of 4, so the damage output per attack lies between 28-112, which is 7 less/more than the vanilla min/max, but for some reason I often find myself struggling to kill more than one zombie in one shot or an imp in less than three, even though the average damage should be 56.
Great! I see now! I also set Rendering Quality in Quality and the switches in map 2 look stretched and map 3 looks the same way like your screenshot. It also happens in other maps. Do you always play Doom using Rendering Quality in Quality mode?

About the shotgun...that's the GZDoom P Random which causes this, you can also notice Super Shotgun is stronger than usual, killing Hell Knights and Mancubi with two shots. We will see what happens with this bugs and get them fixed for next update.
You know these things happens, specially when my brother do all the programing work for two projects, this and PSXDoom Master Edition for Play Station. Thanks for your support!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”