[Early WIP] Tomb Fetus - A Party Arena Shooter!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

[Early WIP] Tomb Fetus - A Party Arena Shooter!

Post by DrPyspy »

What? Huh?

Tomb Fetus is a free-for-all party arena shooter total conversion for Zandronum! The mod is inspired by a variety of shooters, including Quake 3 and Team Fortress. Get together with some friends and duke it out in a variety of environments with an odd cast of brand new and vaguely familiar characters, including a handful of special guest characters! The number of maps and characters in the initial release version has yet to be decided, but I can promise a minimum of 12 entirely unique weapons to decimate your friends with! Tomb Fetus will also provide a diverse selection of FFA gamemodes, including adaptations of Instagib and Last Man Standing.

The mod is balanced to be comfortable to play at a range of 2-8 players, with the reason being that player counts seem to be pretty low these days. Server hosts will be able to host more than 8 players, of course. A good amount of maps will be able to support a larger number of players, in case the other maps cannot sustain that amount.

Why Tomb Fetus?

Originally, the mod was a platform to prototype concepts for a Team Fortress mod. This lasted about a few days, as the Tomb Fetus-to-be quickly grew into its own monster. As the mod mutated, so did the name! (honorable mentions include Tbomfus and Too Muchress...) Legends claim, however, that when the stars align on an unholy night, a sacred ritual will take place, transforming a willing victim into a mysterious, massive monster known only as...the Tomb Fetus! That's only a legend, though...

Will this support Software?

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of Zandronum's software renderer, and the restrictions of the Doom palette, the mod will only support OpenGL. A custom palette could be created to alleviate palette issues, but maps that make use of sloped 3D floors and sector portals will likely cause issues for software players. Players will be free to try Tomb Fetus in the software renderer, but be warned!

When will it be done?

The mod still requires a lot of work before it is ready to be played by the public, but I'm shooting for sometime in 2019. There is currently a lot of placeholder and borrowed content that needs to be replaced with proper assets, and as we speak, the weapons and characters are undergoing a heavy renovation, receiving new models, animations, and sounds. I will update this thread periodically to showcase new information and content, so stay tuned!

Got some screenshots?

You bet! You'll definitely notice that the mod is in an unfinished state, with a decent amount of placeholders here and there, but I feel these pictures give a pretty good glimpse at the action.

That's all for now, but I look forward to revealing more information about Tomb Fetus in the future!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Early WIP] Tomb Fetus - A Party Arena Shooter!

Post by Captain J »

JOLLY GOOD, LAD! I really can't wait to play this wonderfully flamboyant mod. We definitely need more zandronum-safe mods for multiplayer sake.
Cardboard Marty
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Cardboard Marty »

Having gotten to do some pretty intense/extensive testing, this is a whole lot of fun! The cast of characters is super goofy but the extremely endearing art style and humor make it all work, and even though the maps are fairly early on, they're a lot of fun to play on. I hope to see more and more stuff being added and improved over time!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

I've got an update regarding gamemodes; specifically team modes! In addition to the FFA modes, you will be able to choose from a selection of team modes as well, including Capture the Flag and Team Deathmatch modes! These modes will pit two teams against each other as they compete to reach the score limit as dictated by the rules of the mode. Although the modes are fairly early on in development, now that the foundation has been laid for team-based modes, their development should come along fairly well. Most of the time spent on these modes were focused on getting the mechanics to work properly.

In the CTF-based mode, the teams attempt to protect their flag while assaulting the enemy base to steal their flag. Once a player grabs the flag, they must bring it back to the capture point at their base and rack up their team's score before the other team can do the same! If a player dies and drops the flag, the team can return it to their base. This mode was inspired a bit by Fortress Forever CTF, which is reflected both in the mode itself, and the placeholder flag model. You may recognize the map in this screenshot as Xpress from QuakeTF, which has been recreated by one of my friends for the project. It is a little spacious at the moment, but it was a blast in the playtest sessions.

The TDM based mode is pretty straightforward, as it is just a team variant of the FFA mode. In this session, we were testing to make sure that hitscans, projectiles, and explosions went through teammates, which will reduce frustration in situations where your enemies and your teammates decide to form a mosh-pit around a weapon spawn. With the addition of team modes, characters will be recolored according to their team color, so that players can see who they're supposed to shoot at:

I've also developed a pipeline to easily add new color palettes to characters specifically for these teammodes. This allows me to make changes to character meshes in case they require a renovation, while keeping the different palettes consistent with each other. Here, you can see the palettes for Doom Sayer, Billerman, Kate, and Pat:

The addition of team modes has opened up possibilities for more gamemodes in the future, although for now I'm going to focus on the modes that will be available on release. Another mode I'm working on is a CTF variant, where the teams must deliver a bomb to the enemy team's base. Sounds pretty chaotic, but hopefully it turns out fun. I hope you guys look forward to these team modes on release!
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Awww it even has cp_orange.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Imao those Copyright-Safe name changes. Doom Sayer and Billerman is probably the best idea to come up with. Like Stephen Jeelberg!

Anyway that sounds promising. Keep at it!
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This looks awesome!
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Here's a video of a round of CTF during a playtest! I get a pretty sick shot at 0:56 with a pretty decent cap afterwards.
batos2

Post by batos2 »

If hope this had a single player or coop mode that can load DOOM maps including enemies, objects like keys and move to other levels. :3:

DOOM weapons be replaced by the Tomb Fetus weapons. :D
DrPyspy wrote:

Here's a video of a round of CTF during a playtest! I get a pretty sick shot at 0:56 with a pretty decent cap afterwards.
By the way, good gameplay, it looks interesting. :)

I loved those sounds and references to Super Smash Bros.
Trimint123
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Trimint123 »

Damn, I'm interested with this! I can imagine this mod will get it's popularity as soon as it's release.
RcktPropelledCntrArg
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by RcktPropelledCntrArg »

I'm surprised this isn't more popular, it looks amazing!
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

The gameplay footage is beautiful. Loving the rocket jumping.
DrPyspy

Post by DrPyspy »

Here is a video showcasing some deathmatch!

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

60FPS of ol' Deathmatch Glory with real human beings. Anyway looks very promising as always! Seems like it's already finished, but guess not? Because you've got to make map or something?

Anyway i see Cardboard Marty in the video. Glad you're hanging out well together. Brings back memoirs, you know? :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Still lookin' fantastic, love the attitude present with the ending animations etc.

I don't really think the music in the new video really fits the mod, though. It's not bad music, but it just doesn't really fit the mood of all the wacky nonsense going on.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”