(WIP) Super Mario Vastidity - (TC)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StalkerBlade

Re: 3D Super Mario TC - How to Get Sued in 5 Minutes

Post by StalkerBlade »

Update:

Orbit camera is now implemented. I actually managed to make it behave just like the ones in the real games and I'm pretty proud of finally completing it after all this time...The only issue it has is that in-map cutscenes/camera swapping aren't wanting to work with it properly and I'm not really sure why. This means that the current demo map isn't very playable ATM...Either way, a very big accomplishment for it.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

Honestly, I'll never understand why people make keep making fan games based on properties belonging to one of the most litigious companies around, only to have them C&D'd by Nintendo the second said fan game makes its rounds to the gaming news sites.
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

sherberttcat wrote:Honestly, I'll never understand why people make keep making fan games based on properties belonging to one of the most litigious companies around, only to have them C&D'd by Nintendo the second said fan game makes its rounds to the gaming news sites.
Meh, I'm not really worried about it. As long as nobody gets to play it and spread it around on Youtube or whatever it shouldn't really matter.
I mean, are they really going to get mad at me because I'm the only one privately playing a mod that I pieced together? Like I said, it was just made for shits n' giggles...No one should take it seriously.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

As far as I know Nintendo only seem to target attempts at remaking their own games, rather than just doing things with the same settings and characters. I can't speak for them but I imagine they're worried about people thinking "why should I buy this Nintendo game when this graphically superior (and maybe improved elsewhere as well?) version is being offered for free?"
Kizoky
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

Exactly. For years I have seen projects shut down by Nintendo because it was going to be a remake
If your mod is inspired by Super Mario 3D it won't be a problem

I don't think Nintendo will take any legal action against it, take a look at various Nintendo games that have mods shared on websites, nothing happened
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

Please release this, it's a bad idea to make a good mod and then leave it forgotten.

Also:
StalkerBlade wrote:I can assure you that you can if you try hard enough. Doom can be almost anything you want it to be. 8-)
Can confirm, i'm turning Doom into Super Smash Bros. :D
Diode

Post by Diode »

Looks too good not to be released, honestly.

I'd say swap out the mario assets for something else (even just placeholders) and release it. Even if you've no interest in finishing the project, I'm sure the code would be valuable for others to look at.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Diode wrote:Looks too good not to be released, honestly.

I'd say swap out the mario assets for something else (even just placeholders) and release it. Even if you've no interest in finishing the project, I'm sure the code would be valuable for others to look at.
You could always retool it into Secret Maryo Chronicles.
Barny-kun

Post by Barny-kun »

My english is not very good, i was on Realm667 website when i saw a post telling about this mod, and the link brought me here, wanted to say this is awesome! Keep it up, bro!

Obs: is it even possible to change my username..?
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Update:

I had no idea this would get as much attention as it's getting...I guess I have no choice but TO finish it at this point. I've already begun creating some Doom friendly sprites so I can safely release it with no worries about Nintendo. You'll have to be patient though, there's 110+ player frames that need to be replaced and more will need to be added for enemies and the player. I'll have to try and clean up my code a little bit too because it's beyond spaghetti code...It's SALAD code. I'm also trying to make this so others can easily make their own maps for it, kind of like a 3D Mario Maker.

I don't like asking for help with anything ever, but for time sake, I'd greatly appreciate some sort of help with the sprites...If anyone wants to, all you need to do is edit a Mario enemy into a Doom monster. For example: the Goombas could have an Imp face and spikey body, something like that lol. I've been editing/using the sprites mainly from the recent Mario & Luigi RPGs to keep the art style consistent, if interested. They would probably just need a standing, walking, death, jumping, and an attack animation(chasing, throwing, just something simple). Thank you all for your nice comments. :)
MrRumbleRoses

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

is there actually something downloadale to play or what?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

StalkerBlade wrote:Update:

I had no idea this would get as much attention as it's getting...I guess I have no choice but TO finish it at this point. I've already begun creating some Doom friendly sprites so I can safely release it with no worries about Nintendo. You'll have to be patient though, there's 110+ player frames that need to be replaced and more will need to be added for enemies and the player. I'll have to try and clean up my code a little bit too because it's beyond spaghetti code...It's SALAD code. I'm also trying to make this so others can easily make their own maps for it, kind of like a 3D Mario Maker.

I don't like asking for help with anything ever, but for time sake, I'd greatly appreciate some sort of help with the sprites...If anyone wants to, all you need to do is edit a Mario enemy into a Doom monster. For example: the Goombas could have an Imp face and spikey body, something like that lol. I've been editing/using the sprites mainly from the recent Mario & Luigi RPGs to keep the art style consistent, if interested. They would probably just need a standing, walking, death, jumping, and an attack animation(chasing, throwing, just something simple). Thank you all for your nice comments. :)
I mean, as it was said before, Nintendo won't probably do anything even if you use the actual sprites. There is an entire website dedicated to Mario fangames (MFGG), if the "C&D" situation was actually like that, that site would've been nuked a long time ago.
If you only want to replace all the sprites to avoid legal action, and not because you're planning to make your own thing out of what you've built, i think it's a waste of time with all the effort that goes to making completely custom assets, and you shouldn't worry about it. But that's my two cents.
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

Batandy wrote:
I mean, as it was said before, Nintendo won't probably do anything even if you use the actual sprites. There is an entire website dedicated to Mario fangames (MFGG), if the "C&D" situation was actually like that, that site would've been nuked a long time ago.
If you only want to replace all the sprites to avoid legal action, and not because you're planning to make your own thing out of what you've built, i think it's a waste of time with all the effort that goes to making completely custom assets, and you shouldn't worry about it. But that's my two cents.
I've never heard of that site...This definitely changes things, because now I can focus on the good stuff and not spend most of my time on sprites. With the amount of things I'd like to put in, I need all the time I can get.
StalkerBlade

Post by StalkerBlade »

A little teaser to show it's still being worked on. I've overhauled about 70% of the entire mod and fixed a lot of issues. There's too many things I added in/fixed to name off, so I've decided I'll just release a demo some time in 2019 when I feel it's more stable.

Water physics are next on the list. yay...
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very nice!!!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”