3D Super Mario TC - How to Get Sued in 5 Minutes

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

3D Super Mario TC - How to Get Sued in 5 Minutes

Postby StalkerBlade » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:47 pm

To begin with, I'd like to say that I won't be releasing this, for obvious reasons, and that I won't be finishing it. This was the first mod I ever made, so I only made it to familiarize myself with the Doom engine. It was a vary fun project to work on though, and as stupid as it is, I hope it is at least a little interesting to you. :D

screenshots:
https://pre00.deviantart.net/e19f/th/pre/f/2018/288/0/9/super_mario_doom_mod_tc__by_stalkerblade-dcpk0cv.png
larger version https://orig00.deviantart.net/f559/f/2018/288/0/9/super_mario_doom_mod_tc__by_stalkerblade-dcpk0cv.png
=====================================
* Info: *

Almost everything works as it should; There's a Fire Flower, Goombas, Question Blocks, Brick Blocks, Warp Pipes, Mushrooms, Coins with a 1-up system, a Super Mario 64 health bar system, dynamic jumping, and one incomplete demo map.

• The Fire Flower works very close to the real games. Only two fire balls can be thrown at a time until they fizzle out.
  • The Goombas are 3/4 finished. They randomly walk around and can hurt you when touched, but they don't chase after you. They can also be stomped on.
  • The Question Blocks and Brick Blocks are pretty much perfect on their own. There's a Question Block for each available item.
  • The Warp Pipes work like you'd expect, but it takes some in-map scripting for them to work when creating them.
  • The Mushrooms act as health points in this instead of being a power-up. They give you 1 health point each. There's also no lives system, so the 1-ups simply give you full health.
  • The Coins also work as you'd expect. Collect 50 of them to receive a 1-up.
  • The health bar is fully functioning. The damage system works in 10 points, so it works as it should.
  • The dynamic jumping is pretty simple; Longer holds mean higher jumps. Requires a key binding.
  • The orbit camera works just like the ones in the games: Your movement angle is relative to where ever the camera is facing.
  • The map was inspired by the SM64 and SMG games. Something I threw together just to test things out.

There is a lot of unfinished things, mainly because I'm not the best at coding and couldn't figure a lot of things out.There's no "orbit" camera system; The chase cam was my only way of making this work. The map has a 2D section, but the way the camera works is very simple, and the controls kind of suck when it changes, unfortunately. There's no "dynamic" jumping, only a set height not based on button holding. Which also sucks...The stomp system was made from Kinsie's mod "Goomba!", so full credit is given. The orbit camera is from an altered version of one of ZombieKiller's chasecam mods, full credit is also given.

I'm 100% sure if someone talented enough made this it would be identical to the real games, so if you've been wandering if you can make your own 3D platforming game in Doom, I can assure you that you can if you try hard enough. Doom can be almost anything you want it to be. 8-)
Last edited by StalkerBlade on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
StalkerBlade

Re: 3D Super Mario TC - How to Get Sued in 5 Minutes

Postby Tormentor667 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Looks promising :)
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Clownman » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:25 am

Heheh... Reminds me of a mod I am currently working on (though it's kind of on hold right now)

Shame I can't play it though. I'm curious if it had things like the Triple Jump and whatnot.
Clownman
I'm not gonna fight you... I'm gonna kick your ass.

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Looking good.
Quick tip, if you don't want to get C&D from Nintendo, don't post anything about your project at all...
Release it quietly when it's done.
HAL9000
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that

Discord: HAL9000#9378

Postby Gorman Frebmane » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm

HOL UP, nintendo is just gonna sue the entire website, which also means golden souls will be fucking shitted out, worse the website is gone FOREVER.
Gorman Frebmane

Postby wildweasel » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Gorman Frebmane wrote:HOL UP, nintendo is just gonna sue the entire website, which also means golden souls will be fucking shitted out, worse the website is gone FOREVER.

While I can appreciate that you want to warn OP about it, the post above yours more or less says the same thing in a much, much less vulgar way.
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Talon1024 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 pm

This kind of thing makes me wonder... Would it be OK for a project like this to replace everything with stuff that isn't recognizably Mario while keeping the gameplay mechanics?
Talon1024

Postby StalkerBlade » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Talon1024 wrote:This kind of thing makes me wonder... Would it be OK for a project like this to replace everything with stuff that isn't recognizably Mario while keeping the gameplay mechanics?

I'm actually working on a more original mod that uses a lot of features from this one. It's gameplay style will be a mix of Mario 64, F-Zero and vanilla Doom.
I would almost be done with it by now, but I lack a lot of custom graphics, time and the advanced coding knowledge I need to perfect it...I'm still a bit of a noob when coding things. :oops: I am pretty far into it though; There's even a couple of weapons that are finished. :)
StalkerBlade

Postby Batandy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:51 am

This looks very good! I like how it sorta looks like Mario 64. The M&L sprites work like a charm!

Gorman Frebmane wrote:HOL UP, nintendo is just gonna sue the entire website, which also means golden souls will be fucking shitted out, worse the website is gone FOREVER.

Won't happen, because Golden Souls is Mario inspired, not a straight up Mario Game. And i honestly don't think it will happen to this project either. There are plenty of Mario projects up online including pretty popular stuff such as Super Mario Flashback. Not to mention, taking down a whole website is very unlikely.
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby Gorman Frebmane » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 am

Batandy wrote:This looks very good! I like how it sorta looks like Mario 64. The M&L sprites work like a charm!

Won't happen, because Golden Souls is Mario inspired, not a straight up Mario Game. And i honestly don't think it will happen to this project either. There are plenty of Mario projects up online including pretty popular stuff such as Super Mario Flashback. Not to mention, taking down a whole website is very unlikely.

Still im worried because nintendo is unpredictable in this type of stuff.
Gorman Frebmane

Postby AstroCreep » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:39 am

I wouldn’t worry. They didn’t go after that Metroid 2 remake for years until they decided they wanted to make their own.
AstroCreep
#FEARTHEBLOBOID

Postby SamVision » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 am

At worst you will receive a cease and desist for this mod specifically, Nintendo doesn't have the authority to take any further legal action than that.
SamVision

Postby StalkerBlade » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:26 am

Update:

Dynamic jumping has now been implemented. It was easier done than said, shockingly...It only took a little over an hour to get it working, which is good. Definitely improves the gameplay now that you can control how high you're able to jump. The last thing I would love to add in to this before I move on from it is an "orbit" camera like in the actual games...I attempted this multiple times, but they never seemed to work out. I imagine It would be super hacky to make it work though.
StalkerBlade

Postby Batandy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:33 am

StalkerBlade wrote:Update:

Dynamic jumping has now been implemented. It was easier done than said, shockingly...It only took a little over an hour to get it working, which is good. Definitely improves the gameplay now that you can control how high you're able to jump. The last thing I would love to add in to this before I move on from it is an "orbit" camera like in the actual games...I attempted this multiple times, but they never seemed to work out. I imagine It would be super hacky to make it work though.

You could try checking how La Tailor Girl does it, there's a nice orbit camera there
Batandy
"If it's not fun, why bother?"

Postby StalkerBlade » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:09 am

Batandy wrote:
You could try checking how La Tailor Girl does it, there's a nice orbit camera there

It's all in zscript, and based on what the notes say with in it, it's a bit unfinished...That's ok though, ZombieKiller made a mod that's exactly what I needed; I just need to fix how the movement works. It currently eliminates acceleration momentum from using SetActorVelocity, but I think I can work around this if I spend some time toying with it. This camera will the icing on the cake if I can make it work. :)
StalkerBlade

Next

Return to TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects