Total Chaos 1.0 Released! -- Retro Edition now available!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wad'a'Holic

Re: Total Chaos - Update 0.97.4 Available!

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Wad'a'Holic wrote:Update 0.97.6 is out now!
This fixes (almost) all of the stuttering issues! Don't ask how, because its really gross.
Download here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/total-chaos/ ... 976-latest

I still ask. What did you do? I'm really interested in the technical details here.
One word..... jpeg
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Total Chaos - Update 0.97.4 Available!

Post by StroggVorbis »

Wad'a'Holic wrote:One word..... jpeg
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Total Chaos 0.97.6 - Now with 95% less stuttering!

Post by Rachael »

Silly video aside, this actually makes a lot of sense. Release builds of GZDoom lately have been built with libjpegturbo which is specifically designed for loading jpeg files quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if it helps with space consumption, too.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Space-wise it doesn't make much of a difference. But it's a huge time difference if you have to decode a 10 MB PNG vs. a 300 kb JPEG, even if the result is the same size. Even with SSDs, the loading times are the largest factor here, not the image decoding.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Move your stuff to a ramdisk if you have enough RAM. No SSD is that fast.

Stutters gone, player lucky.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Heh, funny. That's been a piece of advice as long as Doom has existed. I remember articles back in the mid 90s (i.e. printed magazine articles :lol: ) about how to get the best performance out of Doom. They often said something like "Create a RAM disk (I mean, you're not using all that extended memory anyway, right?) copy Doom to it and run it from there." :lol:

Another tip was to try to cache it by copying doom.wad/doom2.wad and then run the game immediately afterwards.

Fun times.
tGAMJM

Post by tGAMJM »

OMG you Freakn Evil Genius ty for making Doom Awesome yet again
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

Enjay wrote:Heh, funny. That's been a piece of advice as long as Doom has existed. I remember articles back in the mid 90s (i.e. printed magazine articles :lol: ) about how to get the best performance out of Doom. They often said something like "Create a RAM disk (I mean, you're not using all that extended memory anyway, right?) copy Doom to it and run it from there." :lol:
True. I remember buying an additional 16 MB of RAM to get 24 in 1998. Back then, that was like having 24 GB today. (Last year, I upgraded my gaming laptop from 8 to 24 GB in a highly similar fashion. Absolutely worth it.)

In 1998, 24 MB was certainly enough to run all the current games from Windows, without having to boot into DOS, and have some meaningful amount left over for things like RAM disks, disk cache (which was optional under DOS and very limited under Windows; fortunately, Windows was able to make use of DOS's Smartdrive disk cache, so things wouldn't get redundant).
Another tip was to try to cache it by copying doom.wad/doom2.wad and then run the game immediately afterwards.
I suppose you had to have done this in Windows 95/98 or load the Smartdrive disk cache before.
Fun times.
Them good ol' days. :mrgreen:
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I couldn't run this thing. Outright crashes on my computer when loading MAP01 with a heap allocation error.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The primary cause of an error like that would be not enough RAM, and an inability somehow to use the swap file to make up the difference.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

With the swapfile disabled, which I normally have, I cannot run this mod. It crashes sooner or later - when precaching textures is on it doesn't even reach the level.
Get Phobo

Post by Get Phobo »

That's weird. I couldn't observe any higher memory usage even with all the Bolognese settings ramped up to their maximum and playing nuts.wad.

However, massive framerate drops are still the norm with Mark IV's coding.

When playing the first three Doom 2 maps with my standard settings, I get as low as 15 fps where it normally would be 150 or so. And in nuts.wad on UV, I got less than 0.1 fps, according to MSI Afterburner (it actually displayed 0.0 fps a few times), whereas playing with the exactly same settings without Bolognese gave me a minimum of 2.7 fps (5.5 fps displayed, that's a bug with Afterburner's OGL framerate measurement).

So, it is safe to say that this mod makes the game 100 times slower.
Wad'a'Holic

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Trailer for the upcoming 1.0 update:
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

@ 0:13 ; "Oh hell no! Nuh uh!" I'm not all that far in the current build, but I already get enough heebee jeebeez from Leda...and now I have THIS abomination to reconcile. 10/10 game of the year, would shit all my pants.
Wad'a'Holic

Re: Total Chaos 1.0 Released!

Post by Wad'a'Holic »

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”