ZOMBIES - Invasion of the Living Dead (Update - 11/05/18)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

Re: ZOMBIES - Invasion of the Living Dead

Post by ZikShadow »

I was about to ask if I could help with the weapon sprites, but I guess you got it all under control.

AstroCreep

Re: ZOMBIES - Invasion of the Living Dead (Update - 11/05/18

Post by AstroCreep »

Got a new update ready! New death frames, tweaked levels, a couple new weapons, and a whole lot more
Korell

Post by Korell »

I just played through the TV Studio level and I found quite a few places where you get blocked. Possibly the player is being blocked by zombie gibs (I've seen this in other a couple other mods too), possibly it's that solid spawner issue you've already listed in your known bugs section. One such instance I was able to pass by crouching, but the others I couldn't. However, I did notice that they would block me only from one direction. Such as I could go down the stairs into the studio area but not back up them. I was still able to finish it though, without missing too many zombies from the lack of killing timeout.

The Invasion Menu settings menu is a nice touch as it makes it easy to find the gameplay settings to be tweaked, but as they are just copies from the GZDoom gameplay settings menu they don't store their values so I'm still using my batch file to set the dmflags parameters accordingly.

One minor point of possible confusion is that when starting a new game you get asked for your class. I imagine this is to set the starting weapons. You then pick a map and then you are asked for your profession. The classes and professions are very similar in descriptive nature, but I'm guessing that the profession is the difficulty setting.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

I couldn’t figure out how to get the menu to save it’s settings so unfortunately those will have to be set each time

I took the whole diff starting weapon out the classes are basically just skins now. You always start with the revolver and rifle. Yeah it’s a bit confusing but it looks like that because I used the graphics from the original mod. Could change it if it’s too confusing.

As for the spawners those are really starting to annoy me. I’ll play through tv studio when I get off work and see if I can replicate it I haven’t found any since the last time I fixed it. If you find any more plz let me know so I can st least try to figure it out. Could be related to the random stuck zombies. Maybe I could have the map spots spawn from the ceiling but it would look ridiculous if it was raining zombies at the beginning of each round lmfao
Korell

Post by Korell »

AstroCreep wrote:I couldn’t figure out how to get the menu to save it’s settings so unfortunately those will have to be set each time

I took the whole diff starting weapon out the classes are basically just skins now. You always start with the revolver and rifle. Yeah it’s a bit confusing but it looks like that because I used the graphics from the original mod. Could change it if it’s too confusing.

As for the spawners those are really starting to annoy me. I’ll play through tv studio when I get off work and see if I can replicate it I haven’t found any since the last time I fixed it. If you find any more plz let me know so I can st least try to figure it out. Could be related to the random stuck zombies. Maybe I could have the map spots spawn from the ceiling but it would look ridiculous if it was raining zombies at the beginning of each round lmfao
Well, as they aren't saveable settings with GZDoom's gameplay menu, I don't think there's a way of saving them at all. Setting them within the parameters of my batch file works perfectly, though, so it's fine.

Anyway, I just played through the apartment block. Those blockers show up after the first wave is completed and it gets worse with each wave. They were everywhere, and pretty much every door had a blocker by wave 4. In all instances I was able to crouch to get through the doorways, but it was a bit of a pain considering how the whole map is a corridor with doors on the sides to the various rooms. If you want to find blockers then that map is sure to illustrate the problem.

I'm trying to recall where I've seen this blocking behaviour before and I think it might have been a version of Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. I think in that instance it was the gibs as sometimes you'd find a dead body or gibs that you wouldn't be able to walk over.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

So it must be the spawners somehow. Joyyyyyy lmao. I literally can’t figure out why they keep doing that as I marked them -SOLID. Gonna be lookin at it tonight for sure. I don’t understand how you could crouch under them tho

Edit: after brainstorming I do remember messing with a decorate file called THRUACTOR or something like that to alleviate a few decorate errors. I possibly could have messed up an actor called FireOnDeath. I’m gonna check it when I get home to double check but that’s gonna be after 10pm here (bout 4 hours from now)

Edit 2: I can't figure it out :? I made every dang actor except the actual zombies non solid and they still spawned blocking spots. I don't know what else it could be other than an ACS thing, and honestly I don't know much. Until I can figure it out, zombies are non solid again.

Edit 3: Found the problem. A_ChangeFlag was being applied to the mapspot instead of the zombie. I took the command out completely and not only does it seem to fix the solid spots, but zombies aren't getting stuck either. Please re-download for the fix.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”