Operation Sea Wolf [RELEASED] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Operation Sea Wolf [RELEASED] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by ImpieTwo »

OVERVIEW
Taking my Arctic Wolf mod to the next level, I'm now recreating the mod from scratch as a new Winter Agent Juno episode, redesigning the original Arctic Wolf maps from the ground up. Includes some bitchin' textures made for me by Jimmy!

PLOT
Juno is drafted by her government to destroy an enemy operation centered around a stealth submarine which could allow two maniacs to dominate the globe. The mission is somewhat personal for Juno, as one of those maniacs is an old rival with a score to settle.

DOWNLOAD

Current incarnation is a little bit Wolfendoom, a little bit Project Einherjar, and a little bit Operation Body Count.
Last edited by ImpieTwo on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Operation Sea Wolf [WIP] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by Rachael »

I played this and it's a lot of fun. I am glad to see that Juno is back!
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I'll be checking this out! You're welcome for the textures. I know I was gonna get more icy/snowy ones to you eventually but this year has been insane for me. Sorry!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played the first level demo (having not played through Arctic Wolf anyway). Very nicely done. Will you be putting both parts 1 and 2 of Arctic Wolf into this one mod then, so no need for two files?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Where is the first Juno mission?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Rachael wrote:I played this and it's a lot of fun. I am glad to see that Juno is back!
Yup and yup.

I love the very complete, cohesive feeling of playing the various Juno missions.
armymen12002003
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

this was really good to see Agent Juno is back.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Tormentor667 wrote:Where is the first Juno mission?
It's right here.

The second one is here.

Thanks for all the support, gang! I hadn't realized many people were playing these mods. :cheers:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Just played the first level demo (having not played through Arctic Wolf anyway). Very nicely done. Will you be putting both parts 1 and 2 of Arctic Wolf into this one mod then, so no need for two files?
Yeah, I'm remaking the whole thing as one wad, and some maps are getting combined. Mission 2, for example, mixes the canyon and power substation levels into one continuous map. Part of the reason for this exercise is to try and revise the maps to make them less tedious, less backtracky, and less...gray.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ImpieTwo wrote:Thanks for all the support, gang! I hadn't realized many people were playing these mods. :cheers:
I've certainly continued to enjoy them. I find them easy to go back to for both extended and short playing session. The maps, even the episodes sometimes, are short enough if I have a limited amount of time but want to have a nice bit of fun gaming before doing something else.

I have to say, I personally preferred Project Einherjar to Midgard Outlaw. The former just seemed to be a bit more "together" and fresh somehow. MO is still good though and has given me lots of fun playing time. I do feel sorry for Juno though, always being dropped in at the start of her missions with little more than her cool ballistic knife to take on the enemy hordes.

Something I've often wondered about: people surrendering. There are quite a lot of them in your games (plus defenceless prisoners and so on). Some of them are clearly just nasty pieces of work and trying to take advantage of your better nature. However, surely some of them could be just genuine "wrong place, wrong time" people who really want to surrender. Have you ever thought about making some sort of consequence for excessive unnecessary death of innocents? I wouldn't expect it to become a major focus and screwing the player over with it would just be wrong but even something like a total at the end of a mission to say how many innocents (or defenceless/surrendering individuals) died during the mission might be cool, and quite different to the usual "kill everything" approach of Doom.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Enjay wrote: Something I've often wondered about: people surrendering. There are quite a lot of them in your games (plus defenceless prisoners and so on). Some of them are clearly just nasty pieces of work and trying to take advantage of your better nature. However, surely some of them could be just genuine "wrong place, wrong time" people who really want to surrender. Have you ever thought about making some sort of consequence for excessive unnecessary death of innocents? I wouldn't expect it to become a major focus and screwing the player over with it would just be wrong but even something like a total at the end of a mission to say how many innocents (or defenceless/surrendering individuals) died during the mission might be cool, and quite different to the usual "kill everything" approach of Doom.
It'd be cool to implement something like that, but I'm not sure how I would go about it. The closest I came was in Project Einherjar, E3M2, prior to which the text tells you to go easy on the locals or something to that effect. If you kill the guy in the house on top of the cliff, you lose access to a blue armor secret. The plan was to block it off if you killed X amount of NPCs, but I couldn't get it to work at the time.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

So you're remaking Arctic Wolf,eh? Looks really promising! And since you have POWERFUL supports of Enjay, Jimmy, Me and more, i'm sure you can finish it quickly, big time! Just played it and have beaten the first level. And my, that was intense! Brings back memories of playing Project Einherjar. That was intense and cool too. The map was atmospheric and good enough and the boss battle, man! That was indeed challenging.
Spoiler: And here comes my feedback.
So yeah, that's about it. Felt sad after beating only one level. I wish there's more things to come, and i wish you a big good luck!
AlphaSoraKun
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

This looks impressive. I ought to give this a whirl!
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Well, I have three levels almost finished. That doesn't sound like much, but consider the fact that I'm combining redundant maps to streamline the whole thing and make it less tedious.

As an example, Map 2 combines The Canyon 1, The Canyon 2, and Power Substation. Map 3 combines Water Treatment Plant, The Tunnel, The Dam 1, and The Dam 2, so the whole thing revolves around the dam itself.

Also I never design my mods to be played on UV the first time through. A lot of the nastier stuff isn't present on HMP.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I basically play the game with UV. So i guess it was really hard... Although that Tank's homing missile behavior should be toned down tho!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”