Operation Sea Wolf [RELEASED] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ImpieTwo

Re: Operation Sea Wolf [WIP] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by ImpieTwo »

But if the difficulty curve isn't the same here as it is in the average wad, considering it has no classic doom assets, i don't see the point in insisting on UV as a matter of principle.

Three maps done: Insertion Point, Power Substation, and The Dam. Taking a break for a while to catch my breath.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I agree entirely. The "I only play on UV" mindset has bugged me for years and it simply doesn't make sense to assume that modern day mods are set up with the same difficulty curve as a 25 year old game; especially when the mod in question is clearly entirely different to the original game. Hell, even in 1995, people were making WADs with difficulty settings that were nothing like those of the original game.

I too have released a number of maps where people complained about the difficulty and then I found out that they had jumped straight to the hardest difficulty setting (not counting Nightmare) because they only play on UV. I mean, there are three difficulty settings below what they picked but apparently something is wrong with the map if the most difficult setting is more difficult than they wanted. Heaven forbid that they try an easier setting. Those settings are just there to fill up the menu, right? :roll:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yeeeeah... I get the point now. I asked for it and have to deal with it, enjoy and such. I sometimes get frustrated if such difficulty problem occurs, although i asked for it but not that much. You know, i expected UV on this and other mods to be fairly challenging? I guess i asked too much... Anyhow, i honestly thank you for adding a lot of columns to dodge them annoying missiles.

And hey hey, thanks for noticing me, Enjay san!
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Captain J wrote:Anyhow, i honestly thank you for adding a lot of columns to dodge them annoying missiles.
lol yeah, after trying to play through wads like Pinochetstein, I try to make sure the player has plenty of places to run to when the shit hits the fan. Try being the key word anyway...

Granted, they look like fuel silos, and I can't imagine those would make for the best cover against missiles irl...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:I agree entirely. The "I only play on UV" mindset has bugged me for years and it simply doesn't make sense to assume that modern day mods are set up with the same difficulty curve as a 25 year old game; especially when the mod in question is clearly entirely different to the original game. Hell, even in 1995, people were making WADs with difficulty settings that were nothing like those of the original game.

I absaolutely do not get it either. I have seen mods which are ridiculously easy on UV setting and also some where HNTR would be too much to handle. On many of the recent bigger mods UV would far exceed my tolerance level.

At the end of the day all these people are ultimately ridiculing themselves. Nearly every time "the game is too hard" comes up you find out that the ones complaining are staunch believers in the "I only play on UV, I'm not a wimp" mindset. Hint: It's not a sign of intelligence to stubbornly stick to such a closed-minded attitude.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Hint: It's not a sign of intelligence to stubbornly stick to such a closed-minded attitude.
I REALLY REALLY REALLY do not think that intelligence is what they're trying to brag about here...

:twisted:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Can... Can we stop talking about this? I'm sure we already got an answer few hours ago that they're unintentionally mistaken. :P
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

FYI this project is still in the works.

Map01 = 100%
Map02 = 100%
Map03 = 100%
Map04 = 100%
Map05 = 100%
Map06 = 0%
Map07 = 0.1%(?)
Map08 = 100%
Secret Map = 100%

Added the secret map last minute to see how an experiment would turn out. Looks pretty nice I think.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Nice i'm looking forward to playing the complete arctic wolf remake
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Ended up bumping out the secret map since i decided to save it for a later project. Got a cool new boss idea out of it though.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

armymen12002003 wrote:Nice i'm looking forward to playing the complete arctic wolf remake
So do I
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Map06: U-Boat Bunker = 50%-70% done, depending what else I add.

Map07: Jailbreak = 30% done

Then I gotta figure out a Strife-esque end sequence.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

It's finished! I win Nanowadmo!

8 maps, new bosses, and an ending sequence. Check it out and tell me if anything is broken!
ImpieTwo

Re: Operation Sea Wolf [BETA] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by ImpieTwo »

Just made a download page for the site, and added a gallery with an approximate recreation of all the screenshots on the Arctic Wolf page.
ImpieTwo

Re: Operation Sea Wolf [BETA] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by ImpieTwo »

I've made a few adjustments after playtesting some more, most notably the turrets being immune to blast damage. You'll have to hit them directly to slag them.

Also made the flying valravens a bit weaker so they're a bit less annoying. And added some more health to map02, given the difficulty spike.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”