Operation Sea Wolf [RELEASED] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Rex705

Re: Operation Sea Wolf [BETA] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by Rex705 »

Can't wait to see this when it's done. I'm currently playing Project Einherjar on Youtube and plan on doing the entire series. By the time I finish with that I'm sure this will be ready to go so I can continue the adventure. :)
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Essentially what I'm doing is making final adjustments after I get some feedback from testers I'm waiting to hear back from, then releasing it in early 2019 officially. I don't imagine the final build will be too different from what it is now, but I'm hoping this one will get some traction on the 'net before I release anything else.
Milestone

Post by Milestone »

I recently replayed Arctic Wolf parts 1 and 2 (but for some reason, part 2 decided it didn't want to use the custom enemies, and mostly gave me WolfenDoom mobs?), and I have to say, so far I'm enjoying this remake a lot more.
I enjoyed the original, but this just feels so, so much tighter and polished. Haven't finished it yet due to holiday dealings, but it's definitely on the top of my list for "things to do immediately when free time exists again".

I'd love to give pointers on "what can be changed here or there", but even on the ultra-violence equivalent here (SO FAR), I've been pretty OK with how things are set up, even if it means limping along at low health and whipping out the ol' ballistic pigsticker to quick-kill some of the softer/high damage output targets. (man, i wish i had realized how useful that knife was about halfway thru episode 2 of Project Einherjar...)

Edit: actually, one thing DOES come to mind...can you make the missile turrets a bit louder? When I got to the U-boat dock stage, I was happily mowing down the guys in the building next to the start, and didn't even realize that sub comes right up and starts turret-ing you. Then I realized, on previous maps, I kind of wished they'd make more noise. They're, like, some kind of stealth silenced-rocket technology.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Milestone wrote: Edit: actually, one thing DOES come to mind...can you make the missile turrets a bit louder? When I got to the U-boat dock stage, I was happily mowing down the guys in the building next to the start, and didn't even realize that sub comes right up and starts turret-ing you. Then I realized, on previous maps, I kind of wished they'd make more noise. They're, like, some kind of stealth silenced-rocket technology.
I thought about giving them the BOSS flag so their alert sound is max volume regardless of where you are, but then you wouldn't be able to pinpoint where the sound came from. So I'm not really sure what to do about them.

I'm glad you enjoyed the mod, and the series in general. The knife is definitely a must-have for tough situations, as is the backup kick you can use regardless which weapon you have out. The latter saves me so much ammo in the long run, and it's a blast kicking guys down the stairs and off of ledges.

Keep in mind, though, a not-so-obvious mechanic: armored enemies are resistant to the ballistic knife. If they're unarmored, they take full damage from it. Armored baddies like the Amazon Commando take about half damage or less; and the Einherjar themselves take less than 1/4 damage from it i think. So as powerful as it is, it's still not always the best weapon for the job.
ImpieTwo

Re: Operation Sea Wolf [RELEASED] - Arctic Wolf Remake

Post by ImpieTwo »

Officially released after getting feedback from testers.

I also updated all the Winter Agent Juno mods today:

- All three use the armor/health bonus graphics from Sea Wolf.
- The final confrontation of Midgard Outlaw's 11th map was refined a bit more.
- Ruth got a makeover in Project Einherjar to better resemble how she looks in the novel series.
- All three have a new "you found a secret!" sound: random voice clips that give the impression Juno is pleased that you found a secret for her. Mostly added for a touch of humor.
- All three have the homing ability of the smaller enemy rockets removed.
- Sea Wolf has a number of map fixes, like an easier jump here, more level detail there, etc.

So if you ever wanted to binge on the Winter Agent Juno mods, this is a pretty good time to do it.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just gave these updates a quick try and I have a question. Did Juno always make Doomguy pain sounds and grunts when she falls or uses a wall? It's been a while since I last played and cannot remember what these sounded like before (and I've deleted the older versions) but certainly in the new versions of these three mods she makes Doomguy sounds.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Korell wrote:Just gave these updates a quick try and I have a question. Did Juno always make Doomguy pain sounds and grunts when she falls or uses a wall? It's been a while since I last played and cannot remember what these sounded like before (and I've deleted the older versions) but certainly in the new versions of these three mods she makes Doomguy sounds.
No, it's Gzdoom's fault, and I thought they had fixed it.

Is it doing this with the latest Gzdoom or is yours out of date?

EDIT: Looks like they're going to fix the issue this weekend with the new release.
Korell

Post by Korell »

ImpieTwo wrote:Is it doing this with the latest Gzdoom or is yours out of date?

EDIT: Looks like they're going to fix the issue this weekend with the new release.
I'm currently using gzdoom-x64-g3.8pre-62, so it's the latest dev build on DRDTeam at the time of writing. I just saw your bug post, too. Hopefully the fix will land quickly.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The fix was literally just posted, there hasn't even been a dev build on it, yet. You can check AppVeyor for artifacts if you really must (and they're often decently up to date), but the problem should be solved, for now.

The issue was that "junoplayer" is not a gender, and so, when processing sounds it did not assume she could be an "other". That's a flaw in ZDoom's original design but it's too late to change that now, so it's been changed so that GZDoom recognizes "junoplayer" as "male" again (which allows for the sounds to override properly, again, as it's unlikely this mod will be the only one that breaks with the change). The proper way to fix this would be for the mod itself to overwrite the sounds for all 4 genders (since a recent change made for a 4th gender, rather than ZDoom's previous 3) and then there should be no question, at that point, what sound it should be using.

LZDoom already has this bug "fixed" (but without the extra little caveat that Graf said it wasn't truly fixed) - so the latest beta should play this mod properly as of right now.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

so is it supposed to be written junoplayermale or junoplayerfemale, rather than junoplayer?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

No - just "male" and "female" - that's it. And "neutral" and "other" if you want to cover all 4 bases.

Those are the only 4 options that the current version of GZDoom allows. You can copy-paste the same definitions for all 4 genders if you want - no matter what gender the actual player is, Juno is obviously female and the same definitions will work for all 4.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The code works so that if a gender is missing it will look for a fallback, first male, then female, neutral and last other.
This now caused a problem because it picked "other" which was the last item in the list, but the code had a bug that made it discard the last item on the list as fallback, thinking the class had no sounds. Ultimately it is completely irrelevant which gender you pick if you only define one.

Of course this shows some bad thinking in the whole system: It only considers the user's gender but never ever thought about giving the player character a gender that gets respected by the engine.

Then again, this code is ancient. It first appeared in 1.23.24, released in April 2001.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Started playing, noticed something at the very beginning:

You should remove the crosshairs in the screenshots :)
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

I've sent him a PM with new fonts (not new, but ones that would fit and replace the old Doom fonts, Solid Snake ones) and screenshots of various areas, including these ones with crosshairs.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Finally finished this - really enjoyed it. My memory of the original Arctic Wolf is a bit patchy, so I don't really remember how closely this matches the original but your hand, ImpieTwo, is very obvious all over this adventure and it absolutely fits in with the other Juno games.

I'm not really sure why, but the Jailbreak level was my favourite. It just felt really good IMO. The back-track to get the red key was a bit extreme though. I thought that fighting all the way into the prison only to be told I'd need a key to release the prisoner was OK. However, although I wasn't told, the key was on the other side of the map. As a result, without any additional clue where the key might be (normal game logic would tell me in the prison, possibly even quite nearby) I had to get back out of the prison, wander all the way across the map to a passage that wasn't previously open, get onto a submarine, get the key and then work my way back to the prison again (albeit, that on the return journey, all resistance was dead :D ). I just thought that there might be a more logical way to set that up. All the individual parts were good, just that the logic seemed a bit... well, illogical. Nevertheless, I still really enjoyed playing that level.

I've got a couple of problems to report, one very minor and the other is game breaking.

1) The minor one is that there are guys on the U-boat in the base at the start of map06 that can't be killed

OK, OK, they are really far away and almost impossible to see - but I saw them.

Zoomed in to prove they're really there.

I couldn't see much, but I recognised the colour of their uniforms and new that they had to be taken out! So I started trying to snipe at them from a long distance. I slowly sneaked up, using the crates as cover, fighting the nearer enemies as I went. Yet those guys on the boat weren't going down. Eventually I realised that they were probably dormant and that I'd wasted my time and ammo firing at invulnerable bad guys.

Sure enough, at the appropriate point, they woke up and I could kill them.

IMO, it would have been better to have them properly hidden (perhaps in little holes that raise or something) than to have them visible, in range but not shootable.

2) Game breaking - but only on the easy setting.

The teleport landing spot for the teleport line behind this gate on the final map

is not set to appear on the easy difficulty settings, making the game impossible to complete on the easy settings.

Anyway, thanks for yet another great little game in the Juno series. :D

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”