The Crimson Deed

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Re: The Crimson Deed

Post by Batandy »

Here's a bunch of great news!

Selection Wheel
You can now manage your powers with a wheel selection (Powered by DrPyspy's Pywheel)
It's also possible to bind specific powers to the keyboard for quick power swapping!

Soundtrack
Talented musician and fellow Doomer Primeval is now making an amazing soundtrack for this game! Here's a sneak peek of the main theme!
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

"a halloween appropriate version of Psychic with an accompanying map set"

(bat and fireball spells)
will there be a super OP magnetic lightning ball spell too
or a pumpkin cluster bomb
or summoning a giant spectral eyeball that spams explosives

and now Primeval music to boot?
hell yeah
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

comet1337 wrote:will there be a super OP magnetic lightning ball spell too
or a pumpkin cluster bomb
or summoning a giant spectral eyeball that spams explosives?
Absolutely want, all of them.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

As long as no angry wizard appears every couple minutes to collect our souls, I'm down for that. :P
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

PRIMEVAL wrote:As long as no angry wizard appears every couple minutes to collect our souls, I'm down for that. :P
I hope that you can be the one instead.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Happy Halloween!
Surprise! Here's a brand new playable beta of the first level of The Crimson Deed!
Please, let me know what you think, and have fun!

Requires the latest version of Gzdoom (GZDoom v3.6.0)
At the moment, it requires Doom 2 but the final release will be standalone!
Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/s8om55h77 ... _Beta.ipk3
RedoLane

Re: The Crimson Deed | Public Beta Out Now! Happy Halloween!

Post by RedoLane »

For a short early beta, it was pretty enjoyable.
The only issue I had is when I talk to an NPC or buy something in the fire fountain, everything freezes until I choose to close the box.
Also I can't see how many coins I have when I buy something.
It's weird, but I guess they can be fixed.

Can't wait to see more of this project :)
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

it's going to be gutt
downloading it now
Korell

Post by Korell »

Okay, so I seem to be hitting some issues. I'll list them below.

I have keys mapped for inventory left and right and activate item, but even when I pick up inventory items (a blood orb and a refined animus bottle) I still cannot select them as the inventory keys just bring up the number of coins I've picked up.

The refill animus button seems to be hit or miss as to whether or not it works. There's a fire fountain (where you can buy items) that lets me refill health with the refill health button (or buy items by pressing the use key on it), but later on in the level there's a tall purple glowing animus object where I once managed to use the refill animus button to get animus back, but every other time I cannot use this button on it, but using the use key, however, refills it to full. So this raises the question about whether or not the refill animus button is of value if the use key fills it anyway, but also as to why it only sometimes seems to work at all.

The view bob seems a little high, similar to your Castlevania mod when walking. I think it is the character speed that makes it seem like it is bobbing a lot, though, as she moves slower than the Doomguy. I imagine I could use the movebob cvar to lessen this if I needed to, though.

And lastly...
Spoiler:
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Korell wrote:Okay, so I seem to be hitting some issues. I'll list them below.

I have keys mapped for inventory left and right and activate item, but even when I pick up inventory items (a blood orb and a refined animus bottle) I still cannot select them as the inventory keys just bring up the number of coins I've picked up.

The refill animus button seems to be hit or miss as to whether or not it works. There's a fire fountain (where you can buy items) that lets me refill health with the refill health button (or buy items by pressing the use key on it), but later on in the level there's a tall purple glowing animus object where I once managed to use the refill animus button to get animus back, but every other time I cannot use this button on it, but using the use key, however, refills it to full. So this raises the question about whether or not the refill animus button is of value if the use key fills it anyway, but also as to why it only sometimes seems to work at all.

The view bob seems a little high, similar to your Castlevania mod when walking. I think it is the character speed that makes it seem like it is bobbing a lot, though, as she moves slower than the Doomguy. I imagine I could use the movebob cvar to lessen this if I needed to, though.

And lastly...
Spoiler:
There are two special bindings for Health and Mana under "The Crimson Deed" in the key config menu that let you use the Blood Orb and the Refined Animus Bottle. It doesn't use the standard inventory keys .
The Animus statue is there to prevent the player getting stuck, since the puzzle in that room requires Animus usage (and it deactivates once the puzzle is completed)
and by the way you had to
Spoiler:
to unlock it.

If i'm not mistaken I don't think i can do anything about the bob, so yeah i'd go with the cvar.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Batandy wrote:There are two special bindings for Health and Mana under "The Crimson Deed" in the key config menu that let you use the Blood Orb and the Refined Animus Bottle. It doesn't use the standard inventory keys .
Erm, I'm not seeing them. I only have five bindings under "The Crimson Deed" and they are:

Refill Health (F)
Refill Animus (Q)
Select Fire (unbound as I can select it from the animus wheel)
Select Bats (unbound as I can select it from the animus wheel)
Open Animus Wheel (X)

Nothing for inventory, which is why I set the GZDoom inventory bindings.

EDIT: Oh, and I found that setting the movebob cvar to 0.15 (the default is 0.25) feels better for the speed that she moves. I would have thought that a menu item for move bob would be present in GZDoom's options but I know that there are a lot of the cvars that don't, so maybe a custom menu item could be added for it?

EDIT2: Ah! Having looked in the config file now I understand the bindings. I read the refill health and animus bindings as being to use on the fire fountain and the animus statue, but the config file names them as use_phealth and use_pmana. So that's why I was confused with the binding not seeming to work as it used the animus bottle from my inventory when I thought it was using the statue, and once used it wouldn't then "work again" on the statue as I thought it did the first time. I think that some kind of visual feedback of inventory might have made this more obvious. So yes, this was my misunderstanding and it isn't a bug.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

there is very little here
but what was there got me intrigued and hooked

just one thing
make the phantoms fade-out radius larger than their fade-in radius to give it a "dead-zone", so the sound won't get spammed if you shimmy in the right spot
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Really enjoyed this. Very moody. Also glad I could squish the roaches, since this has become a habit of mine :oops:

I think the revolver could benefit from a little more recoil movement, since it seems to have a noticeable delay between shots, even after cocking the hammer. It just feels like it 'waits' a brief moment before you can fire again.

Very beautiful look, and i'm getting a Bloodborne vibe from it. Looking forward to more.

@Redolane the dialogue freezing the game (aside from a handful of actor animations) is a function of the dialogue system. I haven't been able to stop it doing that when I use it either.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Because Crimson Deed is bundled with UseToPickup, I had to remove it from my autoload, or else it wouldn't start as GZDoom complained about CVARs and classes being defined twice. I already finished it and instantly got hooked. I'll add this thread to my bookmarks :P
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Thank you very much for your comments!
I've updated the beta since the parallax shader had a bug that made the game impossible to boot on older CPUs (Props to Marisa and kadu522 for figuring out what the issue was)
While i was at it, some friends on Discord told me i could tweak the viewbob with zscript, so i've toned it down too! (Props to Marrub and Pillowblaster)

Have fun!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/q8nce9h51 ... ta_V2.ipk3

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”