Catacomb: ABYSS v1.0

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Catacomb: ABYSS v1.0

Post by Enjay »

I gave it a quick whirl in 3.5.1 last night and there were a few oddities that I noticed but I don't know how many are intentional or how many were always there.

Off the top of my head, the ones i remember are: if you hold down fire, the player's hand rises to the middle of the screen, bats sometimes turn into pinkie demons and there were blocks of white occasionally flickering on the screen.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Awesome project! Lovely old school game, and possibly the firstest first person shooter ever being finally ported in! (hovertank doesn't count, because tanks aren't persons)

Could you be able to charge your magical attacks in to nuclear bombs power like in the original game too, I hope? :P
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

OMG! Wow! How have I only found out about this now haha!

I always thought it would be cool to port all the Catacombs stuff into a Doom 2 wad but never got around to trying myself as I wasn't sure how to extract its assets. Plus it's daunting enough for me to try and finish Star Trek Doom and Quest for Glory 4 - 3D Hexen so the last thing I needed was a 3rd Doom mod project haha.

How did you extract the textures and sprites out of the original game? And does the tool work with other Catacombs episodes?
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

Blake00 wrote:How did you extract the textures and sprites out of the original game? And does the tool work with other Catacombs episodes?
I used WDC and yes, to my knowledge it is possible to use it with other episodes.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

inferion_ wrote:I used WDC and yes, to my knowledge it is possible to use it with other episodes.
Yessssss! Thank you for that. :)
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I realize this is a bit of a bump, but I just wanted to say that:
  1. I'm really impressed with what I've seen here. While the Catacomb trilogy is basic as all heck (maybe a little less so than Wolf3D, maybe moreso, it's around there anyway), it's never really gotten a proper source port with mouselook and all, so having a port to GZDoom is a great next-best-thing.
  2. ...But I'm also kind of annoyed, because it's this close to being pretty much perfect, but it's stymied by one issue: the button for healing potions flat-out does nothing in 3.6.1. I've definitely assigned the new, specific keybind for it in the Options menu, I can confirm it's bound to "+HEA" in the console, but pressing the key doesn't do a darn thing, even though I'm sitting on like 50 healing potions at this point and I'm down to 15% or so health and would really like to drink them. Yes, I know, this was explicitly advertised as working with an earlier version of GZDoom, but all reports were that it worked fine otherwise (beyond the bats turning into Pinkies briefly when shot, which I can confirm but am not really bothered by), so it's disappointing to see there's no way to heal yourself whatsoever until this bug is fixed. It means you have 100HP to complete the entire game with, which might be asking a bit much. (Does make things wonderfully tense, I suppose.)
  3. Also it seems the messages for leaving stages are inconsistent. Some say you have to press Fire Weapon to leave (which is correct), others say you have to press Use to leave (which is not correct). I expect this is a map-specific script error, so just consider it a heads-up.
  4. Less a bug report and more feedback: you should disable mouselook in the MAPINFO lump, as with the levels being perfectly flat and every enemy level with the player, there's really no reason to allow looking up/down. All that does is make it so your shots don't go the full distance they could (they'd hit the floor/ceiling on the way and dissipate, whereas no mouselook means said shots remain parallel to both surfaces and never touch them).
That's my 2 cents, anyway. Best of luck if you intend to go back and fix these issues.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

inferion_ wrote:I used WDC and yes, to my knowledge it is possible to use it with other episodes.
Are you still working on Catacomb Abyss right now improving stuff? Would be a shame if you leave it as is :)
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

Finally, a piece of attention for id Software's underappreciated gem!
Hopefully we get v1.1 and maybe even other Catacombs games ported (or maybe even more Catacombs-based mods).
Also, I like how creepy the hidden difficulty's screens are.
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Didn't know about this. Nice! Hope it doesn't end up abandoned.

Catacomb is my unfinished business, just can't deal with the slow turning and the extremely narrow FoV of the original game.
sherberttcat

Post by sherberttcat »

pagb666 wrote:Didn't know about this. Nice! Hope it doesn't end up abandoned.

Catacomb is my unfinished business, just can't deal with the slow turning and the extremely narrow FoV of the original game.
I recently beat the whole trilogy, after grabbing it from GOG.
I don't care for the prototype version Catacomb 3D though.
Ravenborn

Post by Ravenborn »

Pretty simple fixes for a couple of issues with this I've found after digging through the wad:
Heal is directly connected to the Jump control. The Use Potion keybind is literally useless. If you change Jump so that it has no key you will no longer be able to heal, use the Jump keybind to change what key you heal with instead.
Pretty simple to change the bat health to 1 if they are, as the OP stated, supposed to die immediately.
As soon as I can figure out how to move hud elements regarding area description so they aren't displayed directly in the middle of the screen I'll let you know, still looking into the hand raising to the crosshair issue as well...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”