[WIP] Might & Magic VII in DOOM

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
SamVision

Re: [WIP] Might & Magic VII in DOOM

Post by SamVision »

How far are you going to take this concept? Are you basically going to create a whole fantasy RPG game?
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

Haha good to see you here. Sadly the castle map probably won't make it in the later stages. The reason is that while everything in that castle looked more or less okay scale-wise it was completely wrong for the most of the outdoor textures. It is not a problem of the texture resolution, but rather design principles, so to fix that I had to raise the height of the main character from 48 to 78 units and now everything matches. However due to how the map was designed in the first place it now feels way too small. Some of the textures like doors in the castle will appear to be too small too, but it is actually how it is in the original game and that is what made me confused in the first place. That certain set of textures. But at least I am more or less certain that I can start making maps without them being scraped later on since now everything matches.
SamVision wrote:How far are you going to take this concept? Are you basically going to create a whole fantasy RPG game?
At first the idea was to just make a simple mod adding the monsters from the original in Doom. Then I wanted to make maps with the textures from the game. Now I feel like it is actually possible to make something bigger and original. Right now I am trying to add some basic mechanics from the original game like 2D locations (which are showed off in the recent videos). Figuring out resting ability right now, part of it can be seen in the video below, in its early stages, basically the frames of animation are tied to in-game time. Will probably need to make some sort of day-night system, at least on a simple level. Which can make later for time based events on maps and such. Lots of ideas but you probably realize how much time it takes to get things done. I see it as an adaptation of Might&Magic with the Doom mechanics in core. Getting the most interesting features of the original game which won't break the flow much.

Celestial Heavens lurking here: https://discord.gg/pBfdwkg
Last edited by AlpacaNox on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Well, Godspeed, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would absolutely want an original game from this
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

Still polishing the indoors UI. The rest system almost works as intended and for now I decided to keep it for taverns only.
Spoiler:
Nash

Post by Nash »

What is the SmallFont used?
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

One of the fonts from the game. "Smallnum". (if you meant the one that log uses). There are no third party fonts, everything is from M&M 7.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yes the log font (the one that appears at the top-left). What tools can read MM7 game files? Would love to have a go at extracting some other stuff myself.

Oh and - amazing work here. Keep it up!
Zan

Post by Zan »

As far as I know you can extract stuff using MMArchive - https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/8718
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

Nash wrote:Yes the log font (the one that appears at the top-left). What tools can read MM7 game files? Would love to have a go at extracting some other stuff myself.

Oh and - amazing work here. Keep it up!
Added an entry regarding resource extraction in the end of the main post (OP). If you'd need more info regarding how the original game works you can either visit the discord (I've posted a link earlier) or Celestial Heavens.
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

+A little showcase of monsters with updated scale values and sprite shadows
Zan

Post by Zan »

Man, this just looks so good with GZDoom's lighting and dynamic lights
AlpacaNox

Post by AlpacaNox »

Added a simple quest where you need to kill the knight on that castle level (you need to collect his corpse, otherwise it won't count) and report to the tavern dude. Just a simple thing to test relationship between the levels and have some sort of progression for fun. I think I finally managed to figure out scaling, the old castle map suffered a bit because of the changes, but at least we get to keep it. The dilemma was in different design principles regarding textures. Turns out I need to downscale the textures 4 times (instead of 2) in order for scale to match and keep the terrain tiles as is. Now we can use the properly scaled textures to make basic Doom maps without worrying about any mismatches. The dimensions are bit weird though: 32x64 instead of 64x128. No quality loss since the engine doesn't actually change the resolution. Can actually start importing things from 6 and 8 since that is figured out.
Zan wrote:Man, this just looks so good with GZDoom's lighting and dynamic lights
Its a great engine, liking a lot how it is lining up as well.

Facínora

Post by Facínora »

this should be interesting. two of my top names in gaming, Doom and Might and Magic, combined.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Sorry for being too pesky here, but any chance that you could allow us to have 100% magic dependent class\build for us to have, which would be possible to beat entire game on using only that without bothering to use anything else?? Since I found sword\melee and bow combat is rather way too boring and overused as it is. That's how I as well played Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, without even needing items nor material weapons.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Man, it's pretty great seeing someone else do something with the might and magic resources. :)

I had tried to get them available to everyone some years ago, but it didn't get much traffic, and I couldn't really do much in the way of mapping at the time, so it just kinda stagnated and was forgotten in the mists of time.

Keep it up! Looking forward to this!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”