Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
::Bloodfury::
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

Post by ::Bloodfury:: »

Hi, don't know if anyone pointed out. But I have found few smooth doom compatibility issues.
Candleabra and that small black candle have a one pixel height offset jump in one of their frames,
and makes them seem to be "jumping". Had something to do with their brightmaps and gldefs.
I deleted them for a quick fix in my file. But wanted to point this out if you plan on optimize this
mod for certain gameplay mods. Seeing smooth doom is kind of popular. :)

Also in the megawad strain, the fast imp enemy does not work with smoothdoom cuz they share same sprite name TROX.
Fixed that just by renaming those frames as TROY.

Anyhoo just wanted to point out these couple of things.

Except that, as a mod alone, this is a great WIP. Keep up the good work. :)
capybard

Post by capybard »

This is absolutely incredible work, thank you for making it!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hey! Some of my old stuff is in here. That's very cool. Thanks for the compliment. :D
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Project Slipgate has a few noteworthy things to fix:

- SLP02's yellow door never opens, making the map impossible to complete normally. The switch in the room with the yellow sector-colored silver pillar doesn't do anything of note.
- SLP05's camera special, the one outside the first Radsuit room, always desyncs multiplayer games when used. (???)
- The ambient sounds in SLP08 and SLP09 constantly loop, rather than playing a sound at random intervals - that is, the owl, cricket, and Quake zombie sounds.
- Messages only display for the activator of the script, which means only one player ends up seeing printed messages when they occur.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

This is certainly interesting. So many levels to choose from.

Would there be a chance of later mapsets being involved such as Epic 2 and whatnot?
JPL

Post by JPL »

This is a very cool project, nice work!

When I'm in the main open area browsing the WADs I find myself wanting some organizing principle to the space. Have you considered creating sub-areas off a foyer that, for example, organize each WAD by release year, eg one room with 1995 wads, one with 1997 wads, etc? As a bonus that would create a sense of community history. Just an idea.

Another vote for adding the Community Chest series. And I have a soft spot for HERIAN 2 though I don't know how highly the community regards it.
dljosef

Post by dljosef »

I second the wad arrangement idea, as that could definitely help me with the order those wads were made in.

Herian 2, I think its alright...other than the fact that some of the maps are rather difficult in terms of finding out what to do and where to go. Especially the one map where you're on a cruise ship.

One vote for Whispers of Satan.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I second everything JPL just said; a little organization goes a long way...and potentially boosts framerates as it doesn't have to render one gigantic room all at once.

And I plunk down one vote for the Community Chest quadrilogy.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
Enjay wrote:Hey! Some of my old stuff is in here. That's very cool. Thanks for the compliment. :D
You're welcome, thanks for making such awesome mods in the first place :)
Zhs2 wrote:Project Slipgate has a few noteworthy things to fix:

- SLP02's yellow door never opens, making the map impossible to complete normally. The switch in the room with the yellow sector-colored silver pillar doesn't do anything of note.
- SLP05's camera special, the one outside the first Radsuit room, always desyncs multiplayer games when used. (???)
- The ambient sounds in SLP08 and SLP09 constantly loop, rather than playing a sound at random intervals - that is, the owl, cricket, and Quake zombie sounds.
- Messages only display for the activator of the script, which means only one player ends up seeing printed messages when they occur.
Thanks once again for the bug reports: I did release a hotfix for slp02 on an earlier page, and I'll make sure to fix the sounds for the next release. I had fixed similar occurrences on dissolution but failed to spot those in slipgate.
dljosef wrote:Would there be a chance of later mapsets being involved such as Epic 2 and whatnot?
This project is entirely focused on older wads, representing a different era of modding than what we have today, so recent releases such as epic 2 or the community chest series are definitely out of the scope for this project. They would furthermore require a much bigger effort in order to make them cross-compatible with everything else. Nonetheless, I will likely be adding some more mappacks for future versions.
JPL

Post by JPL »

One idea in case you care: it would be fairly easy with ZScript to display each megawad's custom status bar art, where applicable - simply storing all the statusbar lumps under unique names and then having a trivial bit of UI script to draw the appropriate graphic. I suppose there are other custom graphics in many megawads that aren't seen as well - the help and credits screens, custom menu art / fonts - but those would be a bit tougher to swap in depending on which wad the player was in.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

When you land on the green crates (or whatever they are) in the first area of Daedalus map01, there's an orange splash. Also, do you know what's causing those red symbols in the lower right corner of the screen? It may not actually be Compendium's fault, but I figured it was worth asking anyway.
Camper125Lv

Post by Camper125Lv »

at map VCO19 there is one teleporter textures not correctly aligned and is it normal that in vilecore i jumped from 14 to 31 then 32 and back to 15 level?

edit: 4 teleporter textures not aligned.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

The Enigma Episode seems to use the wrong skybox. I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the same orange sky that Thy Flesh Consumed used.
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

The level exit in map 02 of Mancubus wad (by shitbag) is broken.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Kagur wrote:The level exit in map 02 of Mancubus wad (by shitbag) is broken.
wokrs for me,completed the whole wad

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”