Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Juste_ssgunner

Re: Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

Post by Juste_ssgunner »

sorry my english is bad I use a translator :oops:
hey man very good job :D I had thought a lot about a similar project but I thought that nobody would take the trouble to do it very good job
I was looking for wads with many maps to play as you mention rpg style wads (rla example) and I had not got one the same I thought no one would add so many classic wads :D
its play time :shotty: :BFG:
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

4thcharacter wrote:That's good to hear, I hope the Community Chest series makes it in, especially 2, 3, and 4.
Keep in mind that the project is focused on older megawads, I probably won't add anything made past 2005/2006
Juste_ssgunner wrote:hey man very good job :D I had thought a lot about a similar project but I thought that nobody would take the trouble to do it very good job
I was looking for wads with many maps to play as you mention rpg style wads (rla example) and I had not got one the same I thought no one would add so many classic wads :D
Thanks for your kind words, hope you have fun! :D
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

If this big compilation has pre-2000 wads (mostly), what about a post-2000 wads?
That is, if you can have the time to do more.....
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

I was playing Compendium on Delta Touch, and couldn't help but notice the massive framerate drop when loading the "Welcome!" map. Any chance of expanding the episode list to include all the megaWADs, so people can immediately jump into the action without using the intro map?
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

I'm not going to add a menu for 54+ wads, it would be utterly painful to navigate, although I had never tested Delta Touch before, the hub map is extremely simple (particularly the level selection area) so it shouldn't really be an issue. You can always use the console and refer to the MAPINFO for the names but I've tried to keep them intuitive (i.e. REQ01 for requiem map01, OBT01 for obituary map01 and so on).
leodoom85 wrote:If this big compilation has pre-2000 wads (mostly), what about a post-2000 wads?
That is, if you can have the time to do more.....
Well, the scope of this project goes from 1994 to around 2005-2006, which already consists of quite a ton of post-2000 wads. I have no plans to work on any similar collection for wads newer than that, though.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I think the best thing to do for Doom Touch would be an external application which launches GZDoom with the mod you want to play, and a graphical interface showing screenshots/titlepics for each map set.

Unfortunately, I have no experience (or interest) with Doom Touch, have no experience in Android development (but I know all that's really needed is a java app, anyhow, and that bit would be covered easily), and my phone is not big enough for either.

If someone has a phone and some Android dev tools, this would probably be a worthwhile project to take up, possibly as a companion application for this mapset. (Hell, you could port it to PC, too - I don't think a lot of Android-specific abstraction would be required for such a simple project)
Nash

Post by Nash »

You could probably generate the menu using ZScript. Just an idea.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

What a great collection of the finest creations over the years!
Congrats for making that possible, and hopefully Compendium will go down in history!
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

In slipgate map02 I'm unable to press this switch https://youtu.be/hfa7M7e2AYc?t=5m
I'm playing with guncaster if that matters. Can someone test this switch so I know it's not just me. Thanks.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Rowsol wrote:In slipgate map02 I'm unable to press this switch https://youtu.be/hfa7M7e2AYc?t=5m
I'm playing with guncaster if that matters. Can someone test this switch so I know it's not just me. Thanks.
Just tested it myself. can confirm that the switch doesn't work.
Until a patch will be released, better noclip through the door which was supposed to be lifted and continue.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Appreciate it!
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Nash wrote:Looks like we're going to need coin a new term because "megawad" doesn't even cut it here... ;)

Would be neat if the first post had a full list of all of the map packs included in this compendium.
I'd call it an "Archivewad", Because to be honest, it definitely covers the Golden Age of the modding community, and by itself, is a creative way to create an archive for most of the wads of that era.
Error313

Post by Error313 »

this is like when you were given a 30-in-1 NES cartridge... amazing job
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Dynamo wrote:There are right now 54 wads represented, for a total of over one thousand levels.
:surprise:

This is one hell of a service you've done with this project. Thank you.

I'm going to spend hundreds of hours, if not thousands playing this through with all the gameplay mods out there.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Sounds from Teh AMC TC :D A couple of minutes wasted to realize why it sounds familiar.
And idea reminds me of the same idea of picking Duke Plus user levels.
Anyway, good work! I think this should be expanded further.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”