Hellshots Golf v1.1 - puttering around

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HolyHeadcrab

Re: Hellshots Golf v1 - puttering around

Post by HolyHeadcrab »

So instead of sleeping and trying to fix my sleep schedule, I played a round of this instead. Props to all the people that made a map for this, most of them are great! I enjoyed 25m and the ancient city one (forgot the name already) the most. It plays well too; I'm especially appreciative of the camera feature and being able to cancel shots.
Spoiler:
(EDIT: I found out there were other clubs. Yeah, makes things a lot easier now. Oops.)
Other than that, it was a pretty good experience! You worked really hard on this and it shows. Keep up the excellent work.
Last edited by HolyHeadcrab on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

HolyHeadcrab wrote: - Sometimes sinking the ball into the hole when you're really close to it is frustrating, even with the low angle. I've had several holes where I was on par, then went well over it trying to get the dang ball inside. It'd go in, then bounce right out.
Huh? Even with the light club? I've never had this happen to me.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

TerminusEst13 wrote:

Only took me like half a year, that's all.

Download Link: https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronu ... olf-v1.pk3 (27.56MB)
Dropbox Mirror: https://www.dropbox.com/s/olsqmx8ii1bdp ... 1.pk3?dl=1
Google Drive Mirror: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t_n8h ... ZAM7PZvxWL
Where does the E1M1 + MAP06 combo originate from? :P
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

finally, an near-christmas blessing

term when are you going to make a template pack for custom characters plox
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Excellent shot, my friend! I honestly can't wait for Cacoward 2019 already!
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

FINALLY, I wanted to play this for so long. Getting right in
Milestone

Post by Milestone »

YukesVonFaust wrote:term when are you going to make a template pack for custom characters plox
If custom characters can be a thing at some point, petitioning now for someone to make a Bill-Murry-in-Caddyshack character.
...please?
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Nice, I played your mod for one hour and that was fun.
UnbornDecay25

Post by UnbornDecay25 »

This.... was... AMAZING. I dont know why but I played two rounds straight. Its so fun. My only complaint is that roughs are really overpowered, especially if you're using the H putter, because the ball will stop dead in its tracks. Usually an issue, but here, with so many out of bounds locations, its a godsend. And some maps are a little bullshit *ahemmastersofdoomahem* But aside from that, this is really fuckin awesome, and I loved it.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

I couldn't get past the map with the crane but otherwise it was cool, got 2 stroke in GOLF01 by use of the "soopa secrert platfurm"
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Speaking of 2 Strokes, for some reason i got through The Temple of the Sun in 2 Strokes! Super Thanks to Heavy Club.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I managed to get 2 strokes in Fresh Prints (GOLF14) and 3 strokes on another map i can't recall now. I just wish this never ended. Congratulations for everybody involved.
TerminusEst13

Re: Hellshots Golf v1.1 - puttering around

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hey folks, some people figured out a couple ways to cheat and horribly break things, so now there's a quick 1.1 build.

FROM V1 TO V1.1:
- Life's a Beach (GOLF18) no longer has errant SANDY textures in the water.
- Every time the players enter a golf map, their health is restored to 100.
- If Corzo slid whenever he exited a new map, he would stay super-shrunk. Now he gets restored back to normal size.
- Quaking sounds are now silent, preventing Corzo from stacking deathsplosions and leaving a persistent quake sound.
- Several neon billboards on Metroplex Run (GOLF08) were misplaced.
- The left-higher building on Metroplex Run (GOLF08) was lowered down.
- The flag on the mini-course in Icarus Towers (GOLF04) was different from back to front. This has been fixed.
- Jump pads have been added to Icarus Towers (GOLF04), for easier traversing.
- The torches at the end of Icarus Towers (GOLF04) have been removed, so the ball does not as easily get stuck against them.
- Suicides are now disabled, because people were using it to bypass stroke counts. Thanks, guys. Thanks.
- The teleport-back-to-start floors on Metroplex Run (GOLF08) and Icarus Towers (GOLF04) have been rehauled, and hopefully this will keep the teleporter-stopped-working issue from persisting. If it does, I'll port this to the other maps.
- Added 'Credits' and 'Changelog' as console commands, to see the respective credits and changelog for the mod.

HolyHeadcrab wrote:So instead of sleeping and trying to fix my sleep schedule, I played a round of this instead. Props to all the people that made a map for this, most of them are great!
[...]
- Sometimes sinking the ball into the hole when you're really close to it is frustrating, even with the low angle. I've had several holes where I was on par, then went well over it trying to get the dang ball inside. It'd go in, then bounce right out. Not sure if you can make it easier without breaking something, but it's a point to consider.
- I like all of the maps aesthetic-wise, but not all design-wise. The roof-top map with the crane, for instance, really gave me trouble trying to get onto the third building. I eventually got onto it by getting the ball as close to the edge as possible, then baaaarely getting to the other side. Only took me about... 50+ strokes doing it that way? I don't know if I was missing something, but I didn't really see any other way across, and there was no way to get on the crane that I could see.
Also, I got the ball into the hole on 25m, and... then it said I hadn't completed it. When I teleported to the ball, it made me fall into the void and all the way back to the start. Pretty sure that's not intended behavior.
Thank you very much for playing.

- I've been contemplating making the holes just a touch deeper so that they're easier to land in, but I do want to discourage being able to sink holes from far away with the heavy club. It should be inherently a risky proposition. I'll need to experiment with it, thank you.
- I'd like to do some tweaks to that map. Sorry about the issue with 25m, I'm not sure what could cause that but I'll experiment with it.
DabbingSquidward wrote:Where does the E1M1 + MAP06 combo originate from? :P
I made it.
Well. "Made" it.
namsan wrote:Nice, I played your mod for one hour and that was fun.
Thank you for playing!
YukesVonFaust wrote:term when are you going to make a template pack for custom characters plox
Caleb for golf, you say?
UnbornDecay25 wrote:This.... was... AMAZING. I dont know why but I played two rounds straight. Its so fun. My only complaint is that roughs are really overpowered, especially if you're using the H putter, because the ball will stop dead in its tracks. Usually an issue, but here, with so many out of bounds locations, its a godsend. And some maps are a little bullshit *ahemmastersofdoomahem* But aside from that, this is really fuckin awesome, and I loved it.
One thing I've considered with the rough is making shooting out of it a little inaccurate.
So there's a double-edged sword to it--it lands instantly, but makes precise shots a little dangerous.
GAA1992 wrote:I managed to get 2 strokes in Fresh Prints (GOLF14) and 3 strokes on another map i can't recall now. I just wish this never ended. Congratulations for everybody involved.
I'd like to put in more maps in the future, so hopefully there'll be more for folks to play.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Is it possible to have a camera option follow the ball?
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

You can use Weapon Zoom key to follow the ball. It should be easy thanks to the ball's trajectory trail.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”