BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FFFFRRRR

Re: BRZRZK [WIP 1.0] - Modern Robot Zapping

Post by FFFFRRRR »

Cherno wrote:This could benefit from voxel models, what do you think?
I'm curious to how this would look ingame. The laser-beams would definitely look great with them, as they would be much smoother than they are right now.
And as there aren't that many sprites in the game, it would definitely be doable.
Can you send me the model you have there?
Ravick wrote:In these last days I was thinking in ways to implement a Bezerk minigane for my mod, and now I see this! What a nice coincidence! :wub:
Downloading right now! :D
Very appreciated, thanks!
Ravick wrote: Edit: BTW, about the Evil Otto, what about make it a little slower and givinig it a looping sound? Player would know when it is coming, and get ready!
I'm going to try this out. Thank you for the suggestion!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

my god this was fun and in truth so much better than anything I had in mind! the wall zapping and everything is there. more importantly the gameplay is there! right there like it was back in 82! I love it but got blasted A LOT! lol I played it with luds custom difficualty mod and that seemed to allow multiple hits before dying = yay for crappy players! LOL

I could not resist sharing this with you: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/bfa0/2 ... 5nxbzg.jpg btw why cant I do image links now?

one of the textures I had made for my own ill fated 'zerk mod. although faithfull, I found your textures to be a little bland and sometimes disorientating. as such I tried out one of my "neon grids" and found it to be ideal for adding detail to something only ever viewed from above without totally wrecking the retro look

here are some other shots of map 32 of doom2 with the other textures and assets I made (if you're interested):
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/6cc1/f ... e30czg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/cfae/7 ... 85mdzg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/cb78/s ... 12uqzg.jpg

nice one on this and I look forward to updates

*edit*
one thing I'd like to see is the robots being able to shoot each other or die if they crash into walls as like on the 2600 version but that's just me...
I added the neat little idle anim to the robots too (the eye)
robbit eye.png
robbit eye.png (595 Bytes) Viewed 1209 times
true you only really see it once you're dead but its cool and I missed it. :D
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Here is a simple voxel addon, it replaces the sprites with voxels. One issue:

The enemies aren't coloured properly, the voxel models are just a bland yellowish color, I'm not sure if translations are possible with voxel models... Although the base green color does get replaced, although the target palette index is seemingly ignored and it always becomes that yellow.

From the zDoom wiki:
Translations are only supported for 2D graphics such as sprites, textures, flats and so on. They will not work correctly with voxels.

brzrkvoxels1.0.pk3

Not related to the addon, but rather an issue with the main TC: The player sprite is bugged; as long as you don't start shooting, the sprite is properly replaced, but when shooting at least once, it shows the normal Doomguy frames.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

osjclatchford wrote: I could not resist sharing this with you: http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/bfa0/2 ... 5nxbzg.jpg btw why cant I do image links now?
one of the textures I had made for my own ill fated 'zerk mod. although faithfull, I found your textures to be a little bland and sometimes disorientating. as such I tried out one of my "neon grids" and found it to be ideal for adding detail to something only ever viewed from above without totally wrecking the retro look
This gives the game quite a darker look. It looks cool, though. It should be aligned nicely with all sectors by default. Should.
About the image linking, possibly because of: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60595
osjclatchford wrote: here are some other shots of map 32 of doom2 with the other textures and assets I made (if you're interested):
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/6cc1/f ... e30czg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/cfae/7 ... 85mdzg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/cb78/s ... 12uqzg.jpg
It looks nice in small spaces, but I feel like in large sectors that use these textures on floors/ceilings, they look kinda distorted.
osjclatchford wrote: nice one on this and I look forward to updates
Glad you like it!
osjclatchford wrote: one thing I'd like to see is the robots being able to shoot each other or die if they crash into walls as like on the 2600 version but that's just me...
I deliberately did not implement that. I can imagine that making the game too easy, especially with later robots.
osjclatchford wrote:I added the neat little idle anim to the robots too (the eye)
robbit eye.png
true you only really see it once you're dead but its cool and I missed it. :D
To be honest, I didn't even remember that.
Cherno wrote:Here is a simple voxel addon, it replaces the sprites with voxels.
Not related to the addon, but rather an issue with the main TC: The player sprite is bugged; as long as you don't start shooting, the sprite is properly replaced, but when shooting at least once, it shows the normal Doomguy frames.
Thank you! Looks promising, but kinda hard to judge when the colors are screwed. Besides making extra models with different colors for the robots, there is no other way I believe.
You would also have to replace the existing robots in decorate with ones that do not attempt to get translated. I'll try that out soon.

About the player-sprites: Indeed. Added to the fix-list.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

@FFFFRRRR

- I totally get your point about the infighting. now you say that I realize it would not work in the fps engine would it? far too easy to line 'em up and let them do all the work...

- as for vectors? it seems that sprites are definitely the only way to go on a mod like this in my opinion. easier to manipulate with translate and that saves a lot of work.

- grid textures, yeah they look great when put in your 'zerk maps but do indeed get cluttered and messy en-masse in the standard doom maps. at least i feel my efforts have not gone totally to waste. I've been playing the mod with with my grids on for the last couple of hours and I'm in love with this mod!

so much so that I had a bit of fun tonight and created a "gore" system for the mod. no, don't think brutal doom, and don't knock it till you've tried it.
essentially it involves the robots actually blasting into their actual pixels upon death (this also includes original style otto's-face death anim for the robots, as on the 2600 and the aforementioned idle anim with the eye, a full set of player sprites/anims and I also made two new crosshairs that replace zdooms crosshair1 and crosshair2 respectively). oh yeah, and there's obviously that wall texture too...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8i5rie77f ... zerk3D.pk3

just thought you (or anyone else for that matter) would like to see it out of pure whimsy if for nothing else! LOL

I actually can't thank you enough for creating this and essentially realizing a dream I once had of a berserk that could have been ever since I first played battlezone in the arcade all those years ago. (crap! just realized that that's why I went for thin neon grid on the walls now, subconsciously i must have been thinking of battlezone's vector landscape and been inspired to do similar... DUH! :roll: )
anyway keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to seeing how/if you tackle otto... :) if my 2600 emulator rom is prorgamed right there were different otto's for different difficulty settings, shootable that could be killed. shootable that would be slowed down and the more memorable (because it was annoying) invincible (fyi this was the only version in the arcade berzerk). all could clip through walls but moved slower if there were still robots in the maze at the time of his arrival. another interesting(?) factoid is that he would always spawn at the player's start point... all food for thought. personally i'd go for a shootable one myself and only introduce him on later difficulty settings of if you linger too long...
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

^Your pk3 results in an error:
Script error, "berzerk3D.pk3:cvarinfo" line 1:
cvar 'highscore' already exists
I made another simple addon, i replaces the robot and player sprites with "pixel-perfect" versions (at 700% scale).

Here you can see the differences.

Left original, right uniform pixel size.
pixelperfect.png
pixelperfect.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
brzrkpixelperfect1.0.pk3
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

"^Your pk3 results in an error: "

It's because its not an add-on for the mod it's an altered version of it. I suspect you're trying to load it after the mod not instead of...
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I see.

It's certainly a cool effect, I did something similar in my Voxel Chibi mod. For this kind, of game, I think I prefer the more subtle vanilla defragmentation to go in hand with the quick gameplay.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Cherno wrote:I see.

It's certainly a cool effect, I did something similar in my Voxel Chibi mod. For this kind, of game, I think I prefer the more subtle vanilla defragmentation to go in hand with the quick gameplay.
well not to nitpick but i feel I must point out that FFFFRRRR's defragmentation anim (although nice) is not actually the "vanilla" robot death anim. if you look at the death (on the atari 2600) the death anim is the one I've included (single frame otto face "negative" as seen below)
ROBBh0.png
ROBBh0.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
just minus all the pixel gibs of course...

not surprised if you missed it. its pretty quick (as it was originally) and the pixel gibs might be obscuring it...
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Well, by vanilla I actually meant the one that was included in the original pk3, not the vanilla-vanilla one from the arcade ;)

Recreating the v-v graphics is not possible because this mod makes the robots two pixels larger and alters the walking animation slightly, otherwise I would try hard to use the v-v de-rez frames :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

ah... well i guess I was nitpicking then :oops:
however that being said, although not pixel perfect you can get it pretty damn close though, at least stylistically anyhow... and in the fps environment its almost undetectable anyhow, as its constantly in a state of "re-scaling" for distancing...

oh, and just an fyi, I did experiment with the robots being able to shoot each other, I felt it actually works well to replicate the original gameplay but unlike the 2600 version you will not get points for robot on robot fatalities. got to nerf it a bit eh? :wink: I've also bodged it so that if two laser-shots hit each other they also cancel each other out, just like in original berzerk. this means you have to place your shots very carefully so as not to just hit the incoming projectile but it does mean you can shoot lasers out of the air before they hit you just like on the 2600 version. I like it but I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea. (those interested can simply try this hacky version with this feature in, from the same link I posted before to see what I mean)

anyway I think I'm getting carried away here! we've released more stuff in posts between us in this thread than the author has so far! LOL

still cant wait to see otto showing his smug face in a future official release!
ottoa0.png
ottoa0.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

osjclatchford wrote: oh, and just an fyi, I did experiment with the robots being able to shoot each other, I felt it actually works well to replicate the original gameplay but unlike the 2600 version you will not get points for robot on robot fatalities. got to nerf it a bit eh? :wink: I've also bodged it so that if two laser-shots hit each other they also cancel each other out, just like in original berzerk. this means you have to place your shots very carefully so as not to just hit the incoming projectile but it does mean you can shoot lasers out of the air before they hit you just like on the 2600 version. I like it but I'm sure it won't be everyone's cup of tea. (those interested can simply try this hacky version with this feature in, from the same link I posted before to see what I mean)
I feel like all these things would not work all too well with later robots that shoot a lot of laters. I can see why someone would want that, though.
osjclatchford wrote: anyway I think I'm getting carried away here! we've released more stuff in posts between us in this thread than the author has so far! LOL
You don't have to re-upload the entire mod. There is no reason to include unchanged assets.
Cherno wrote: I made another simple addon, i replaces the robot and player sprites with "pixel-perfect" versions (at 700% scale).
When the next version comes out, I may add an AddOn-Section into the startpost to feature posted addons here.
I'll need a bit more time before I'm done with 1.1.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

FFFFRRRR wrote: I feel like all these things would not work all too well with later robots that shoot a lot of laters. I can see why someone would want that, though.
well yeah,, i can see what you mean but it turned out better than i thought it would and surprisingly does not ruin gameplay (imho) as the robots can shoot your laser too! however I had left the 'big-girl' robot lasers unshootable as they wouldn't fire properly otherwise anyhow!
FFFFRRRR wrote: You don't have to re-upload the entire mod. There is no reason to include unchanged assets.
I understand you there, as it happens I was just uploading my changes to mediafire as a personal backup (I tend to do that with everything I mod and then overwrite when I do more work so the link remains the same). I just posted it here as an afterthought as I thought you might like to see it after all.

with that in mind I've been playing with otto variants that match the robot variants:
Spoiler:
I have no idea how to make them turn up in-game mind you. not my field of knowledge there :oops:
I just thought I'd share these as they might be of help/use to you for an upcoming version. if not then so be it. just playing around really but sometimes these things end up coming in handy. as long as its not just irritating you. if it is I shall stop...
FFFFRRRR wrote:When the next version comes out, I may add an AddOn-Section into the startpost to feature posted addons here.
I'll need a bit more time before I'm done with 1.1.
If you do decide to do this I may repackage my changes as a proper addon in the future then! that is if my changes are not made obsolete by version 1.1! LOL thanks again...
shadstarn

Post by shadstarn »

i feel so nostalgic
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

Why not just have Otto be unkillable but have him emit some sort of "thumping" sound to let the player know he is around or near.

Similar to how The Ghoul's Forest always let you know they were coming through audio cues.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”