[WIP] Interstellar Enforcer - (Hiatus)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zan

Re: [WIP] Interstellar Enforcer - (New Gameplay Video)

Post by Zan »

Looks pretty damn cool.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

ReformedJoe wrote:
TDG wrote: Edit: just re read the first post. Demons will be back, oh well.
I've tried where possible to stray from the "666 cover of a heavy metal album" depiction of demons and hell. I'll say my concept of hell is a little more lovecraftian. They're under new management :) .

As an aside, have you played the AMC TC for Duke 3D? Sounds like it might be right up your alley!
chronoteeth wrote: not feelin the plasma pistol tho
Ooh, see this is sort of what I'm after. I've been staring at these resources and hearing these sounds for so long I've lost all ability to tell if they're good or not.
Is it the way it looks? Sounds? The general "feel" of it?
I'd be interested to know why you think this!

^ see that? took that old overused plasma pistol sprite and added a bit more personality and individuality to it!

what i mean is being able to put the lil extra TLC into the weapons. changing up a familiar sprite a bit to look different (even just different hands can do a lot!), adding a bit more emphasis on reloading and animation (why not have the gun curl up/rotate up a bit and then flicked out? the pistol that is) and just being ok with doing a lil more work. the weapons in the mod have a big turok vibe from what ive seen and all those guns had a lot of personality. I guess I just want it to be on par with what im thinkin, idk

heres a lil guide i wrote up on adding more oomph and making guns feel fun to use!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Demo time!

While there are many things I am not happy with, at a certain point one has to put their foot down and just release something.
My primary goal with this demo is to obtain some much needed feedback. If you sit in isolation polishing a turd... well you get a really shiny turd, but a turd nonetheless.

So: I do want your feedback. Good. Bad. Whatever.

Is it fun?
Does it look good, at least most of the time?
What could be improved, added or removed?
Does it run ok? Have you found a bug?

Here's the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/28zjjac6p ... 1.zip/file

Requires at least GZDoom 3.3.0
Last edited by ReformedJoe on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camper

Re: [WIP] Interstellar Enforcer - (Demo 1 Release!)

Post by camper »

Stunning design of large locations. In such locations, sniper weapons will not be superfluous.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

camper wrote:Stunning design of large locations. In such locations, sniper weapons will not be superfluous.
Indeed. A long ranged sniper type weapon is part of the full arsenal, but not yet fully functional.
ZikShadow

Post by ZikShadow »

Just finished the demo, was quite a lot of fun, the new mechanics are interesting, the enemies are quite fair to fight, and the maps are both magnificent to look at while not being too confusing, didn't encounter any game crashing bug as well.
Here's my thoughts on the whole thing:

1. No difficulty selection. Due to it being a Demo reason or actual game design reason?
2. Haven't exactly been affected with it yet, but just incase. In the event that the batteries run out for the flashlights, any way for players to still be able to use it? Even a lesser variant would be nice.
3. I'm guessing the only way to restock on health/armor/ammo in the base is with the Armory's store? Was a bit wounded after the second mission and couldn't find any way to heal up.
4. Saw the Plasma Rifle having some kind of scope, I wonder if such a feature could be added or even combined with the burst function. Though if an actual sniper is in the plans, this might not be as useful.
5. A nitpick, the second mission's TARDIS sound slightly distracts me a bit from the vision, nothing major though.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

This is good stuff Zik, thanks for playing. To address your points:
1. No difficulty selection. Due to it being a Demo reason or actual game design reason?
Its mostly a time issue. There were 2 other difficulty levels planned, but the maps were populated without taking them into consideration. So they're cut for now.
2. Haven't exactly been affected with it yet, but just incase. In the event that the batteries run out for the flashlights, any way for players to still be able to use it? Even a lesser variant would be nice.
Not sure how I want to handle it tbh. We'll see.
3. I'm guessing the only way to restock on health/armor/ammo in the base is with the Armory's store? Was a bit wounded after the second mission and couldn't find any way to heal up.
Yes, once I actually finish the shop, you'll be able to stock up there. I'm also considering some minor free healing in the event that the player is both bleeding and broke.
4. Saw the Plasma Rifle having some kind of scope, I wonder if such a feature could be added or even combined with the burst function. Though if an actual sniper is in the plans, this might not be as useful.
I suppose I could add a bit of zoom and tighten the burst a bit. Make it a sort of intermediate range weapon.
5. A nitpick, the second mission's TARDIS sound slightly distracts me a bit from the vision, nothing major though.
Its a placeholder for now. I'm not a Doctor Who guy, so I didn't even realize :) .
camper

Post by camper »

I am allowed myself to experiment with the IE mod together with a mod that has binoculars. At the first stage binoculars can also come in handy.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

Good afternoon mr./mis. Dev

After playing yesterday in the first mission in full i would like to say what i think about it. for starters:

The dificulty i find in the range of medium-hard. chalengeing enough to where you have to play well but its not unfair and that is a big + for me.

HOWEVER. there is a problem with health scarcity. since i almost allways find myself at about 50 or less health. unless i'm dealing with melle enemys
ammo on the other hand is pretty plentifull since i use the melle quite often.

While i do agree that the should be a "Low-power" Varient of the flashlight. i never ran out of battey life during my run of the first mission. with plenty to spare.

I do like about how you made the backpack less... well... overpowerd :D BUT! haveing them being these LARGE bags and only give only a mags worth of max ammo is REALLY WEIRD! how about makeing then small bags insted. with like a emblem on then so you can tell for what ammo type it is. (Also i think i found all the secrets right away and i got to the top of the "fuel tanks"? and there was nothing on top on them. hide your stuff better :P )

Also no armor upgrade on the first map? i expected SOMETHING at least even if it its just a really bad armor. somewhere near where you would get the shotgun would be nice.

all the enemys are well made and more inportanly distinct. you can do a lot with palet swaps :roll:

i did play it with external mods but noting that afects gameplay. like droplets and tilt++

i'm looking forward for the rest of this mod and work!
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

camper wrote:I am allowed myself to experiment with the IE mod together with a mod that has binoculars. At the first stage binoculars can also come in handy.
In retrospect some kind of binoculars would have been useful, especially given the size of some areas. I honestly can't believe this never occurred to me. I'll add it to the list.
kadu522 wrote:HOWEVER. there is a problem with health scarcity. since i almost allways find myself at about 50 or less health. unless i'm dealing with melle enemys
ammo on the other hand is pretty plentifull since i use the melle quite often.
Adding a bit more health to the levels is possible. However any such changes will occur after the shop is added since that will also have a game balance effect.
kadu522 wrote: ...haveing them being these LARGE bags and only give only a mags worth of max ammo is REALLY WEIRD! how about makeing then small bags insted. with like a emblem on then so you can tell for what ammo type it is.
It's on the todo list.
kadu522 wrote:i did play it with external mods but noting that afects gameplay. like droplets and tilt++
And that's totally fine. I just like to warn people that if another mod causes issues, it's not my responsibility.

I genuinely appreciate the feedback, and thank you for taking the time to play this thing :D
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Screenshot Saturday!
Spoiler:
Here is a pair of shots, one from the final mission of the first planet and one from the desert planet (which is pretty sparse atm).
Having wrapped up the demo, I'm now free to continue mapping. It's been awhile and I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Future plans: There will be 2 more demo releases, each showcasing a mission from the other 2 planets. After that, I plan a sort of super demo that will tie all existing demo content together. I have no idea when the final release will be but I promise you it won't be any time soon.

Big thanks to the people that played the demo!
Roarke

Post by Roarke »

I like the demo, it reminds me of System Shock, but after i got the items in the tutorial (i have not played the missions yet) i don't know how and what key to press to use them. Health item for example.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

Roarke wrote:I like the demo, it reminds me of System Shock, but after i got the items in the tutorial (i have not played the missions yet) i don't know how and what key to press to use them. Health item for example.
Items like medkits, batteries and repair kits are traditional inventory items. By default you switch between them with the bracket keys and use them with enter. There's no way to use them yet from the inventory menu screen.

Pieces of equipment, like the flashlight, have separate keys bound to them. F for the flashlight for instance. You can also set equipment to the quick use key (Q by default) by right clicking on that piece of equipment in the status screen. Most equipment will require energy to use. Energy comes from batteries.
Roarke

Post by Roarke »

Thank you.
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

just checked out the demo, what's there is pretty neat! I like the additional systems and the PDU you've added in; as well as the base at home - definitely getting a Mass Effect vibe from things here. Best of luck making the rest of the project, and looking forward to playing it as well :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”