[METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype (Update p.2)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cherno

Re: [METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype (Update

Post by Cherno »

I already started working on the CMD-2D Commando It will be ready in a few hours.

You can start deciding which 'Mech it's gonna be after that... Maybe a medium one? All 'Mechs from MWO are possible.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Commando CMD-2D:

CMD-2D.zip

Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Centurion CN9-A:

CN9-A.zip
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

I know this is a game about battle tech style mechs, but I was wondering if the developer would be interested in incorporating some unique mechs like this bad boy:

He shoots missiles from his fingers, rainbow lasers from his eyes, a zig zag lightning cutter beam from his chest and generates a cylindrical force shield by spinning his head around 360 degrees really fast.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Cherno wrote:Commando CMD-2D:
Cherno wrote:Centurion CN9-A:
Credits: cherno - ALL THE GOD DAMN MECHS!
You're awesome! :D At this rate I can't keep up stating/coding them in decorate haha! Seriously though, I'll need this weeks' spare time to put this all in and finally get that damn weapon system to a workable state :D Gimme a few days - but man, cherno, thanks again!
Hornetzero wrote:I know this is a game about battle tech style mechs, but I was wondering if the developer would be interested in incorporating some unique mechs like this bad boy:
He shoots missiles from his fingers, rainbow lasers from his eyes, a zig zag lightning cutter beam from his chest and generates a cylindrical force shield by spinning his head around 360 degrees really fast.
AHAHAHAHA Mechazilla dude! :mrgreen: What a great easter egg that would be ^^ (especially the rainbow lasers :P)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Warhammer WHM-6R

(Some gif artifacts)

WHM-6R
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

AHAHAHAHA Mechazilla dude! :mrgreen: What a great easter egg that would be ^^ (especially the rainbow lasers :P)
Awesome. I will get post the sprites for you soon. As for your mod, its really cool, but I was gonna ask, that for immersion purposes would you add the following:

1, A head, legs and arm shot system?
2, Enemies having an A.I smart enough to shoot the player in vital areas like the head?
3, Some Mechs having jet boosters to fly?
4, the flying Jets and helicopters having an A.I in which they go in a long oval like path around the player and shoot the player, each time they are facing them in these flybys? basically flyby attacks in which these jets only attack the player when they face them while travelling in a oval path around the player.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Marauder MAD-3R

MAD-3R.zip
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Awesome AWS-8Q

AWS-8Q.zip
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I almost don't want to make this critique since you've gotten a lot done in a short amount of time, but these don't seem to be working so well when turned into sprites, and I suspect it's because there's no shading. When the light is so equal on everything, it really messes with the illusion of depth. I wonder if there's a way you can adjust the light sourcing in your renderer so that the light is coming from above, and the model casts shadows on itself?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I wasn't able to figure out how to do it in Blender.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Here are two versions with directional lighting.

Which one looks better?

ImageImage

ImageImage
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The one on the bottom looks a bit more consistently lit than the top one (the front-left angle makes it look much brighter than in the front-right angle). Much nicer! Now the only real quibble I have with it is the lack of antialiasing; there's a lot of sharp jagged edges and bright white pixels in strange places. Though I'm unsure how to correct for that...
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

This is a problem that unfortunately can't be solved. Either we have full AA, inclduing the mesh borders, or none at all.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

This is my best effort so far... no AA around borders, but objects like antennas vanish (then again, they are not always visible on the other renders either).
a02 sun25 lum0505png.png
a02 sun25 lum0505png.png (44.63 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”