[METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype (Update p.2)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cherno

Re: [METAL SKIN] MechWarrior inspired mod prototype

Post by Cherno »

I only ever saw screenshots of the SNES version and that one uses sprites, the computer versions does use models apparently.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The Mechwarrior game on SNES does not use 3D models.
exorio

Post by exorio »

Would be headache to rip those sprites from snes version though.
Pandut
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Pandut »

Welp, this looks absolutely rad as heck. Will be keeping an eye out on this :D.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

^That's not the SNES Mechwarrior we are talking about. That game is like Mech Assault. Being isometric, it's pretty useless.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Thanks for all the feedback folks! :) I won't reply to everybody in detail this time, 'cause I'm short on time today.
I just wanted to give you a quick update teaser - hopefully I can release a new test build during the weekend for you to play around with :)

Regarding the sprites: I haven't found any SNES MW rips unfortunately but I found this for inspiration:
ALGYlbK.png
(Source: http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/ind ... pic=2323.0)

Now for the stompy part - srm turrets, cockpit alarm cacophony and squashing panicked zombiemen :mrgreen: :

Pandut

Post by Pandut »

I slapped this together in photoshop from that pic. This sort of what you're looking for? If it is I can animate the ones you'd like, though they'd only have 1 rotation unfortunately. Luckily the creator of these sprites is fine with manips and public usage :D.

This mod is looking super rad, might I request a google drive or dropbox alt link when you drop a new test build? I have issues with mediafire that prevent me from downloading things from there.
Last edited by Pandut on Fri May 25, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

It should be possible to rip sprites from the SNES Mechwarrior, but it will be an adventure. Mode 7 games are not built for sprite ripping unless you can actually get inside the rom files which I've never considered.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

After over a day trying to import Mechwarrior Online models into Blender, I finally got it.
locust128.gif
locust128.gif (26.84 KiB) Viewed 807 times
This is about the lowest resolution that still looks presentable, I think. I plan to make a simple walk animation, too.
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Pandut wrote:
I slapped this together in photoshop from that pic. This sort of what you're looking for? If it is I can animate the ones you'd like, though they'd only have 1 rotation unfortunately. Luckily the creator of these sprites is fine with manips and public usage :D.

This mod is looking super rad, might I request a google drive or dropbox alt link when you drop a new test build? I have issues with mediafire that prevent me from downloading things from there.
Cherno wrote:After over a day trying to import Mechwarrior Online models into Blender, I finally got it.
locust128.gif
This is about the lowest resolution that still looks presentable, I think. I plan to make a simple walk animation, too.
:o You two are my heroes! :wub:

@Pandut: This small ones could be used for class selection or UI elements!

@Cherno: This is awesome! Do you have time and are motivated to make a walk cycle? If so, may I use this so that at least one proper enemy is in the prototype? (plus the turret I frankened together; dropping the helicopter for now) :)
Firing (muzzle flashes etc.) animation I can do and I think I would manage a null-rotation death animation - if that would ease the work load :)

I'm holding off releasing my current build today - it's still too buggy. Please excuse, I want to iron it out a bit more - at least think of a decent way to implement alpha striking and sync firing primary and alt weapon (probably gonna be user states).
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The walk cycle has just been finished. I am currently creating a firing frame, ETA one hour.
The death animations really need some flying debris and particles :)
I will try to add one, as well.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Here are the locust sprites. Idle, walk, attack and death animations. For the attack frames, I just gave it a normal muzzle flash like a machinegun would have... Maybe some laser-style muzzle flashes would be in orer, but I have none.

locust.zip

Preview Spritesheet

Idle frames:
Attachments
locustidle.png
locustidle.png (83.76 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Last edited by Cherno on Sun May 27, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Pandut

Post by Pandut »

willkuer wrote: @Pandut: This small ones could be used for class selection or UI elements!
Which ones in particular would you like? By the little names they got per square aha. Would you like them animated as well?
willkuer

Post by willkuer »

Cherno wrote:Here are the locust sprites. Idle, walk, attack and death animations. For the attack frames, I just gave it a normal muzzle flash like a machinegun would have... Maybe some laser-style muzzle flashes would be in orer, but I have none.
You are the best! Thank you very much! :) I already put it into the current build - it's not perfect yet, I don't have debris spawning on death yet and it needs new explosions to fit the style. But I'm getting there! :D
Pandut wrote:Which ones in particular would you like? By the little names they got per square aha. Would you like them animated as well?
I don't know yet which Mechs will be in the mod - the Locust (the LCT-1S I believe, 2 SRM2s, 1 MLASER?) obviously thanks to cherno. :D What du you guys think? A small selection of signature mechs - any ideas, proposals? Also don't forget to beg and pet cherno to sprite them haha ;) As soon as we have a list, I'd be happy if you want to sprite them though!

No changelog yet - way to early in dev... still cooking this down ^^

Anyways, here's my current build for download:

Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b61zs0twq ... type_3.pk3

DropBox mirror:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f18fjzxwnl1ae ... 3.pk3?dl=0

Cheers! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Updated the OP too.

EDIT 2: For shits'n'giggles, summon a few zombieman via console ;)

EDIT 3: The MLaser of the heavy class acts strange sometimes (only rendering the right beam). Didn't figure out why yet, sorry.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”